Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davelayoj

To chop or not (schefflera)

Dave
6 years ago

It's a single trunk about 6' now. I don't want it to be too tall, but it looks good as is.

I could chop it and end up with two leaders and a fuller plant. But I'd need to chop low for it to look good. That's a lot of plant to waste (I'm not going to root cuttings, I have too many).

What do you think?

Comments (21)

• tropicbreezent
    6 years ago

Like children and puppies, cute but you can't stop them from growing. It's not very tall now, but eventually will be. At one stage it will need the chop and you're going to have to put up with the results. The choice is yours as to when you go through the process.

Dave thanked tropicbreezent
  • Lily Roberts
    6 years ago

I think it looks nice as is

Dave thanked Lily Roberts
  • Dave
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It is nice as it is, but it's going to get too tall.

Chopping is inevitable. But doing so now would probably promote the best growth due to the longest days.

• litterbuggy (z7b, Utah)
    6 years ago

I guess I shouldn't tell you how much of my schefflera I'm going to "waste" when I prune it in a month or two!! Sure, almost every bit of a healthy scheff can be turned into a new plant, but Dave is right--scheffleras can become beasts if left to their own devices.

Dave thanked litterbuggy (z7b, Utah)
  • Laurie (8A)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I have a dwarf schef I let go a bit longer than yours, and I did like it the way it was too. I finally did chop it though; rooting the top and setting it back in the pot.

And you know, that did not look beautiful for a while either. I had no luck with pinching the plant to get it to branch out, and mine was not as lovely as your, but I love it now.

Dave thanked Laurie (8A)
  • jpciii
    6 years ago

Yes, chop it. Right away. Nice and low. Think of the extra space you'll have in your grow room over the winter.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    6 years ago

If you nip the newest leaf that is forming, it's likely that side branches will begin to grow. If so, that should slow the upward mobility significantly, and eliminate the need to go through a "just chopped" phase, if that is of interest. Smaller adjustments, more often.

Dave thanked Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
  • Dave
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Tiffany,

it's been my experience, that just removing the tip of these will force it to branch just below that. I'd like it to branch much lower on the tree.

I'd probably need to remove the whole tip since it's constantly growing 2/3 new sets of leaves at a time.

This is tough. It looks great as is, but chopping is inevitable.

I wish I had taller ceilings!

• Laurie (8A)
    6 years ago

I feel your pain.

• Laurie (8A)
    6 years ago

Dave(Vermont - z5a), in your first pic, is the really thin fluffy plant to the left of your Schef an asparagus variety plant? I have never seen one with that growth habit, and I love it.

Dave thanked Laurie (8A)
  • Dave
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It is!

when they mature a bit they turn into a vine of you give them the opportunity.

• tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)
    6 years ago

And when they flower it is just heavenly. Here is a pic from last year. Sorry for digressing.

Dave thanked tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)
  • Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    6 years ago

Yes, snipping as much as you need to get into the main stem should do it. Removing the lower leaves where you would like for the lower branches to grow does not guarantee that the plant will cooperate, but would be the way to try to make that determination for the plant, instead of just waiting to see what happens, especially if you are looking for more branching than just a bifurcated tip.

Dave thanked Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
  • jamilalshaw26
    6 years ago

Chip away!!!!

Dave thanked jamilalshaw26
  • Laurie (8A)
    6 years ago

Thank you for the picture Dave. As soon as I find one of these I will become a pest for prunning suggestions. I saw one in a nursery a few weeks back, so it should be easy to find. I really love what you have done with your vine. Actually, all your plants are beautifully pruned.

Dave thanked Laurie (8A)
  • hardcoreviolets
    6 years ago

Did you chop it, Dave? I have a similar plant and have been trying to work up the courage to chop...

• Dave
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I have not. I'm going to sell it locally as is instead.

ive chopped my dwarf verities and they're back budding all over the place.

• Dave
    Original Author
    6 years ago

No more updates. Sold it today for $50.

• Andrea ME z5b
    6 years ago

Dave, so funny that you mention asparagus fern turning into a vine as I just discovered that mine is grabbing onto a nearby philodendron plant hanger

I couldn't get both plants in the pic but he's huge and just below this philo, maybe I should give him something to grow on

• Dave
    Original Author
    6 years ago

You should! I bet it would enjoy that.