Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ark23

help with exterior colors.

ark23
6 years ago
We are building a few miles from the beach in an area that has a lot of large oak trees and magnolia trees. We will have brick accents and a few metal roof accents. I love a white house but prefer a more coastal style vs farmhouse and most white houses I have found lean more farmhouse if they are white. We have a large brick selection, right now we have picked Cortez by general shale since we found a local house that has it and we really liked it. we have to pick the house color, brick, paver or brick driveway, garage and door colors.... we like gray/white tones. we also have a two story fireplace inside which we would like to use the same or similar brick for so cost is a factor.

Comments (12)

• ark23
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    pdq, here is the house and brick we love.
  • PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

Your dilemma rambles a bit. Try posing some specific questions.

There are many pictures here on Houzz. Have you searched for some inspiration photos?

• ark23
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Sorry, I have a newborn who doesn't sleep and I am all over the place.

1. Would the house look ok painted white?
    2. Should we do the trim light gray or white as well?
    3. Does the above brick look good or should I pick something with a little more color?

4. What color roof?
    5. Would a dark wood front door look good?
    6. Should the garage doors be wood, gray or white?
    7. What color for the corbels, wood, gray, white?
    8. or should we scrap the white and just do light gray with white trim?
  • PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Your elevation is quite busy, and I'm not being critical, just an observation.

If you want to minimize this, consider colors that are the same or similar. 2 shades of white for the body, maybe a contrasting darker color for some trim.

Darker windows if you have the option.

If you want to play up the architectural features, then use colors to define them.

You can find colors in the brick and mortar. Your chosen brick will blend nicely with the colors you like, complementing the house. Choose a different, bolder brick to call attention to it.

Roof dark, charcoal.

Front door black.

I'll keep thinking and post more later.

• Trisha Hagen
    6 years ago

I love the idea of using a gray accent with white, so clean and I think it would give a coastal vibe. Plus, it would pull the grey from the brick.

If it were my house, I would paint the house white, and all the

Voysey Inspired Seaside Home · More Info

trim gray. Use the above brick. Use a darker gray roof. Either a very coastal blue front door or a walnut wood one.
    Country Club Residence · More Info

The corbels should be either walnut or gray. I would also do white garage doors. Just my opinion :)

• ark23
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks for your suggestions. I agree it is quite busy, so I was a bit worried about the white and then adding in gray, dark wood, brick, etc. and having it be too much.
  • PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

Do you have floor plans you could post -- 1st and 2nd floor?

• ark23
    Original Author
    6 years ago

yes, ill post them in a few minutes.

• ark23
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    here are the inside plans
  • PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

• PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Slightly darker gray on board and batten.

This one uses a slightly muted trim.