Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hawk_941

What's going on with my foxtail fern?

hawk_941
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I got this fern from my mom's garden in zone 9b, in partial shade, and brought it to my backyard in zone 10a, in a spot where it gets a little bit more sun. It seemed stagnant for a while, so I pruned off the bad stalks and added compost on top. I saw improvement, with significant new growth, but now it has a few things going on that I don't
understand. You can see in the pictures that there is vibrant green, but also reddish brown new growth. Some of the established stalks have a white tint to the leaves. There are what I am guessing are seeds on a few stalks, both reddish brown and light green.

I try to let it dry out between waterings, and I live near the ocean, so humidity is right for it. Am I perhaps watering too often? Should I feed it? Maybe it's root bound? Are the reddish brown stalks dying? They look and feel healthy outside of their color.

Comments (8)

• tropicbreezent
    6 years ago

It's not actually a fern. There are a whole group of these types of plants referred to as Asparagus Ferns. They're in the genus Asparagus and are very close relatives of the edible Asparagus grown and sold as food. They're a flowering plant, ferns don't have flowers. I don't have experience growing this one but in warmer climates they're considered a weed and can be very difficult to eradicate if they get a hold in the garden. They're a very tough plant (hence becoming a weed) but they don't like too much water.

• robin98
    6 years ago

There's growing info on a site called dengarden, sounds like it's normal for the older "stalks" to brown off and need cutting out. But check if it looks/feels more like new growth - with some plants that's a different colour initially, so I'd hate to put you wrong! It is still called foxtail fern even though it's not a fern.

hawk_941 thanked robin98
  • hawk_941
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Robin, they feel just like new growth, but look different from other new growth. You can see both in these pictures. The first one shows the reddish/brown stalk in the middle with relatively new rich green on the right and older, but still healthy, light green on the left. The second one focuses on the flowers, but shows brand new rich green stalks on the left and right. There are a number of those, which seemingly indicates that the plant is healthy. I just don't understand the reason for so many different colored stalks.

• robin98
    6 years ago

Yes it does look more like new growth (rather than damaged or dying growth), but that doesn't really make sense as the real new growth is rich green from the start, in your photos. So if it's not juvenile growth or old stalks, is there a stage in the reproductive cycle where they produce a different type of stalk? Grasping at straws here! I had a quick look at images online and didn't see anything like it. Except there is a variegated variety that has bright white stalk, interspersed with the rich green ones. Looked crazy. But I dont think that's what yours will turn into. Sorry I couldn't help!

• litterbuggy (z7b, Utah)
    6 years ago

Well, I got curious and found this tidbit here:

"WATER: Increased need when root-bound; turns yellow (and dead) when thirsty, brown when over-watered."

This site says a little more:

First it says:

"Over the course of the growing season, foxtail fern stalks dry up and turn brown as they age. It's a natural part of the growing process and there's no need to pull out the plants. As with all perennials, as the old stalks die, they are replaced with new shoots that grow from the roots. In cooler areas, winter frosts may kill all the fronds, but new shoots grow the following spring."

But then there's this:

"Root rot, a fungal disease that damages the roots, results in dried up, dead-looking foxtail ferns. But unless the roots die, foxtail ferns can recover. Wet soil is the primary cause of root rot. Stop watering long enough to let the soil dry out and cut back and dead-looking stalks."

What I take from all of that is that if vegetation is dry it's just old and dead, and if it's browned but not dry, the cause is overwatering.

So, when you say you make sure it's dry before watering, do you just feel the surface or do you check soil moisture deep down in the pot? Is it in fine grained water retentive soil? Does the pot have a drain hole? Roots need air, so moisture control is a key factor for any plant's health.

Like many around here I use a sharpened dowel to check soil moisture (a wooden skewer or disposable chopstick also works). I push it through the soil all the way to the bottom of the pot and don't water until it's dry to the touch (at which point there's still substantial water inside soil particles that the p roots can access). Then I water thoroughly, let it drain normally, and then tilt the pot 45 degrees to drain out additional excess water and reduce the amount of water that's saturated.

I can post links and details if you think it would help...

• Kathy Yata
    6 years ago

Looks like the plant is changing its look because you have changed how it's cared for. Perhaps the reddish stalks were stimulated by the compost added and extra light and now it's gone back to green because the nitrogen flush is gone. Or maybe the reddish stalks were formed when plant was in more shade but had to change course because of the sunnier location and the new green stalks were sun tolerant from the start. More shade=looser growth, more sun=tighter growth as well. Old shade adapted stalks are bleached because of a bit more sun then they were designed to handle. I think the plant is very happy and would look nicer if you cut out the old stalks that are dropping leaflets. The white things are buds, berries are red same as other asparagus ferns.

hawk_941 thanked Kathy Yata
  • toni1947
    3 years ago

No this is an old topic but I do have a question. I hope someone can help me. I have a fox tail fern in perfect condition but in the last week I have been finding little black specks on the floor underneath the fern. Does anyone have any idea of what this is? I have looked on many sites with no luck. Do not think it is caterpillar poop unless it is a very tiny caterpillar