Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bei_bei25

house remodel with a tight budget, any help would be appreciated

Ray
6 years ago

We recently purchased a 1960s house that is in good condition, but the style is rather old as expected. Lots of honey oak cabinets, wood trims, low ceiling, and carpets carpets carpets. Since we are working with a tight budget, some of the work will be done by ourselves, which isn't a lot since we have no idea where to begin.

We will be removing all the carpets and will put in new flooring, hopefully a lighter grey brown shade, wide planks. Will remove all wallpaper and paint the house white or another bright cool toned shade possibly. Maybe keeping the wood trims and honey cabinets? Not sure yet, any feedback or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

As for hiring contractors, hopefully it will only be for remodeling the bathrooms and kitchen slightly, maybe knocking down a wall or two if it's within our budget. And replacing some windows to bring a bit more light into the house.

I apologize if this post is all over the place, we really have no idea where to begin, thank you all in advance.

Comments (7)

• maddielee
    6 years ago

Let's start in the foyer. What is that big thing heater looking thing and is it staying? I like the slate tiles there.

The wood floors that I can see look good, could there be wood under the carpet that just needs refinishing?

• Ray
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Maddielee - I believe the heater looking thing is a heater, powered by coal possibly, I don't remember exactly what they told me. I wasn't sure if it should be thrown away, I thought it looked pretty special there but I'm not a designer.

Hopefully there are wood floorings under the carpets but I still might replace them because I wanted to knock down the wall dividing the living room and kitchen, it all seems very cramped, but not sure if it's possible.

• cat_ky
    6 years ago

Your trim is gorgeous, and your kitchen looks nice. I agree, your floors look great. The light over the mirror in the bathroom, needs to go, and I agree, all the wallpaper and wallpaper borders need to go, and also the carpet, since it doesnt look to be in greatest shape. Hopefully, you will find the same beautiful hardwood floors underneath the carpet. You do need some new paint here and there, but, overall, the house looks to be in pretty nice condition.

Ray thanked cat_ky
  • My3dogs ME zone 5A
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I wondered that, too, maddielee!

The house looks to be in great shape and just a bit dated. If you're going to put in new wooden floors (even where there are currently narrow oak planks?) I'd start with the wallpaper removal and painting, so you don't have to worry about the new floors getting paint on them when they go in. You might have to do a bit of touch up after the flooring is installed but not much.

It looks like you could actually live there in comfort for years before having to do all that you want to do, since it's mainly cosmetic. The only thing I couldn't live with is the purple in dining area and skylight shaft. :-)

I think the kitchen cabinets look fine from what I can see if the pic. Sure, they're not the latest style, but there are plenty of them, and they appear to be in good shape.

Think about your budget and what bugs you the most. Do you plan to change the tile in either bathroom or just paint? I'd want to replace the 'Hollywood lights' in both, but in the smaller one, they appear to be part of the medicine cabinet.

What is your style? Over the years I have found lots of great things on Craigslist or eBay that I have saved $$$ on, rather than buying them them from the original vendors. Same with bathroom hardware.

It looks like a great house - congrats and have fun - no need to rush, although I know you probably WANT to. :-)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

I would remove the upper cabinets that divide the kitchen from the dining room. You'll be amazed how much more open that whole area will look. I'm hopefully assuming that the purple paint in the DR will be changed. I would repaint the kitchen cabinets a light color to open up that space. The window treatments in the bathrooms should be changed for something simple and non-fussy. I would remove that stove thingy in the hall and put a neutral wash over the pink bricks. You're very brave to buy a house that needs so much work, but the results could be great. I would use one shade of paint in the whole house, or one (light) shade downstairs and another one upstairs. No beige or tan please. I would paint over the wood wherever possible, but not everyone would agree. Please keep us posted on your progress and we're here if you need more advice.

Ray thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • rockybird
    6 years ago

What a cool house. It definitely has a midcentury feel to it.

That coal heater thing in the foyer - it does not look like it is connected to the vent. Can it be removed?

I love the foyer flooring. The brick is nice too, but maybe there are too many patterns going on?

DO NOT install flooring until you have decided on every wall, every cabinet that touches the floor, etc., that you want to remove (including the coal thing). IMO the flooring should go in last. Trust me - I have made this mistake!

If it were my house, I'd keep that pink tile in the bathroom (if it's in good condition). I love it!

Can you remove that wall at the bottom of the stairs? It would open the whole space up between the kitchen and living room (?), if you like open concept.

Ray thanked rockybird
Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH