Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pat_bamaz7

I think I have midge now, too

pat_bamaz7
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Thanks to all the recent postings about midge, I realize my Tangerine Skies is not suffering constant sunburn, but midge. It arrived with several others from a vendor this spring. It had one bloom soon after arrival, but none since…puts on a lot of new growth that “burns”. I’ve never had midge here, so didn’t suspect that or know the signs…just thought it was growing instead of blooming and burned foliage was due to being too young to handle the excessive heat we’ve had this summer. I wish I had paid attention to the midge postings sooner. Now it has spread to two more of the new roses from spring. I have these in very large pots sitting on the ground amongst planted roses and such. The roses in the ground don’t seem to be affected yet and some other nearby potted roses are not yet showing signs. I was planning to plant all the potted roses this fall. Now, I’m not sure what to do. I’ve sprayed Bayer insect killer on the “burned”parts, then cut those off and put in Ziploc bags. I’ve sprinkled Bayer granule insect killer in the pots. I can put heavy mulch or a barrier around the soil in the pots, but will that make it safe to plant the roses this fall or should I wait until spring…or never? Should I treat the ground surrounding the pots…I really hate to put insecticide in the garden soil, but the potted roses have grown enough to branch out over the ground. I really feel Tangerine Skies came from the online nursery with midge. I’ve just recently started seeing issues with the other two, so those may have been clean initially…but due to my lack of treatment for Tangerine Skies, the midge have now found them. I’ve ordered from this vendor many times without any bug problem and even some that came from them at the same time as these haven’t shown midge damage. They are a favorite source, so I don’t want to be afraid to order from them…I guess it’s just as likely I’d get bugs from other rose nurseries, too?

Comments (9)

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    6 years ago

I'm going to take a beating but here goes. I don't believe you are seeing midge damage. Midge damage takes two forms and none of it looks like wilted tips. I know that this was said but I have never seen it. Where a leaf attaches to a stem is where you would see your new growth buds. It's a favorite spot for midge to bite and lay their little maggots. When they bite it kills the new forming lateral bud. But that is above the leaf set so the leaves do not wilt. The next spot that they can hit are very young buds. Where they can attack the youngest top shoot giving you an easy to see match stick look. But most damage is not easy to see.

An example on your last photo all the way on the right. The first leaf set with the wilted end has not been midge. If it had been midged you would see a tiny black spot just above where the leaf set joins the stem. Then if the bud eye had started to grow it would be brown crispy and no longer able to grow. But that area is fine with no sign of midge damage

I think you first thought was right it is a young rose that can't take up enough water yet. Since the roots are so young. I have a whole bunch of wilted foliage out there. However it is not midge damage. I have checked closely. We just had a whole bunch of lightening plus I fertilized since temps cooled off it seem like a good time. Well it is a good time but there is a whole bunch of fresh young growth that wilts easily.

Plus I have had more than my share of roses that don't bloom in their first year.

• pat_bamaz7
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Patty! What a relief!!! I was so sure I had yet another bug to deal with here. The two pictures in my original post were the roses that just started having "burn" on their new growth...they've been growing and blooming fine up until the past week or so. My Tangerine Sky pictures turned out blurry. Below is the best one I got of it. All season, the new growth and leaves have been burning on it...which I thought odd, but not overly disturbing considering our weather, and since it's a baby climber, I wasn't worried about no blooms. BUT then I started reading the midge posts, and just freaked out. Thank you for taming my fears!!!

• User
    6 years ago

Patty is correct. What you are witnessing is probably due to environmental forces, but is certainly NOT midge damage. Midge results in growing tips that suddenly distort and then stop growing. If you catch the insect at the right stage, you can see very tiny white worms hiding in the center of the damaged tip. It is very conspicuously unlike any other type of damage.

6 years ago

Your welcome Pat. Still does not look like midge damage. But boy that last photo does not look good. I don't mean to sound alarming but is there any chance that chili thrips were imported.

• campv 8b AZ
    6 years ago

I have thrips and the last photo does not look like thrips. How hot has it been, it looks like they are cooked. Mine look like every summer on the new growth. Arizona

6 years ago

Thank you Campv.

• ac91z6
    6 years ago

We've had heat indexes like that and I have some roses (still in pots, kept on the east and north side of the house) looking like this. This thread makes me feel better about the chances of it just being environmental stress. Thanks pat_bama!

• enchantedrosez5bma
    6 years ago

Pat- It's great for you that this isn't midge :-) Could this also be caused by a root system that is not developed enough to support top growth or take up adequate water? I have outer tips that wilt like this but when I water they are fine although they seem to wilt quickly again.

Don't be too certain about chilli thrips not overwintering in z7. They have been seen in Barnstable County, MA which encompasses Cape Cod and is z7a. Add this to the list of destructive insects. It seems like it never ends!

Sharon