Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snowdropherbals

Bathroom remodel Concrete floor what to seal with?

Meg Hur
6 years ago

We are remodelling our bathroom which has a concrete floor we painted with floor paint by Pratt and Lambert. Does anyone know if we can use AFM safecoat Watershield on top, or what other low VOC sealer would work?

Comments (11)

• everdebz
    6 years ago

Surecrete and more in my 'concrete' ideabook, if you want to peruse through them....

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Glopping any "sealer" on top of paint on top of poorly prepared concrete is likely to result in finish failure far sooner than it otherwise inevitably will occur. Painted concrete is a very poor choice for residential flooring. Unless you either spend the very big bucks to prep it properly for an industrial grade epoxy, or you are willing to scrape the peeling paint and repaint every single year. A painted bathroom floor is just yech. Impossible to actually clean once that peeling starts.

• Meg Hur
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ugh! We have a contractor, and it was painted, prepped etc , but nothing was done after that to seal it! Oh well. I will try contacting him again to find out what to do. Thanks for the insight!

• User
    6 years ago

You are missing my point. A quality paint, like an industrial epoxy, requires no sealer. Adding garbage on top of paint damages the paint and ruins the job. The paint you used is an inappropriate choice for any but a short term kludge fix. If you want a durable virtually permanent floor coating, that is an epoxy. Not the product you chose.

• Meg Hur
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Okay, so I will call the contractor and ask why he chose THAT paint versus an epoxy.

• User
    6 years ago

Because it's cheap is why. You didn't research enough to tell him what to use is another reason. He's not a designer is a third reason. A designer specifies all materials in advance of the project so you aren't left with some flaky peeling unsanitary mess on month 13 after the 12 month labor warranty has expired.

Why on earth are you not using tile in the room???

Meg Hur thanked User
  • Meg Hur
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We had a designer (his wife) AND the contractor working on this. Disabled people they felt, fall more on tile getting out of the tub etc, vs painted with a walnut additive on the floor. So, they designed it all, then he fell sick and cannot complete the job (liver cancer) SO, I am trying to figure out what to do.

• User
    6 years ago

Have that mess ground off and put in a non slip tile. Tile is 100% your best choice. It is eminently more cleanable than paint with a non slip coating added to it. That is a cleaning nightmare.

Unless that is a walk in tub, it is not an appropriate choice for bathing a disabled person. A low to zero entry shower would be the best choice for that.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

If it wasn't so sad and ironic the situation would be laughable.

If disabled people fell on tile all the time, there would be no tile in rehabs. There is non slip ceramic, porcelain, and vinyl tiles to select from which are more safe and sanitary than concrete stain.

If you want an easy to clean surface with no grout lines, then there is an Armstrong tile called. Safety Zone. Sand the surface to remove whatever was installed and install this over top. Easy Peasy Damp Mop to clean.

https://www.armstrongflooring.com/commercial/en-us/products/srf/safety-zone.html

https://www.armstrongflooring.com/commercial/en-us/products/srf.html

• Meg Hur
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks so much! I will talk to my man about this today. We had no idea where to go to figure all of this out.