Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eld6161

My3dogs re: dry eyes

eld6161
6 years ago

I saw your post in the shower thread, but don't know if you are going back to it.

I have been using Restasis for years. No issues. Once in a while, a little sting when applying.

There is a new one on the market, which one did they give you?

Comments (16)

• eld6161
    Original Author
    6 years ago

My3, I did not have any issues with Restasis. OTC drops I use for dry eyes is Systane.

Is there anyway you can get the Restasis since the other is not agreeing with you?

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

Have either of you tried Retaine? It's OTC and the only place I can find it is Amazon. I like Systane but I like this stuff better. Haven't had to use Restasis yet. Mine seems to be under control with Omega 3/ fish oils (high grade, also from Amazon) and Retaine or Systane regularly.

eld6161 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Outside, I also take the TheraTears Omega 3 fish oil as well.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    6 years ago

I take fish oil 2x a day, and I have all the versions that Systane comes in. :-) The Gen-teal artificial tears seemed to have helped on their own somewhat. I bought the 'moderate' version at CVS, and I saw that it comes in a 'severe' so have ordered that thru Amazon today.

I hadn't heard of Retaine, but will go check that out now! I will still try the Xiidra, but I need to plan my times to use it 2x a day so I can work.I see that both Xiidra and Restasis mentioned blurred vision as a side effect.

When my eye doc told me that the Restasis takes some people a YEAR to show any effect, I'll admit I wasn't excited to try it, especially when she listed several things to try to lessen the sting of it. Then I found that my PBM refused to pay for it, so my doc tried to get the Xiidra through for a one month trial, and she did, at no cost, using a coupon code.

I just looked up the cost - and find THIS interesting! I do have insurance and will call tomorrow to see what it will cost monthly if it helps. My PBM must get a much better cost on Xiidra than Restasis.

What is the price of Xiidra?

Shire PLC has listed the average wholesale price of Xiidra, its recently approved drug for dry eye disease, at $426.73 for a 30-day supply. The price is the same as that for a competing drug already on the market, Restasis from Allergan PLC.Jul 26, 2016

I had NO idea that Restasis has been around so long - since 2003! Here's an article comparing the two of them - https://eyelovethesun.com/blogs/news/xiidra-versus-restasis

eld6161 thanked My3dogs ME zone 5A
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I went to search out your medication and saw what you posted as well. It did not take a year to take effect and I had absolutely no side effects.

It did not take a year to take effect and I had absolutely no side effects.

I would fight this one if you can, especially since they are the same price and you are having issues already with the Xiidra.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    6 years ago

Thanks, eld6161! I need to give the Xiidra a chance for a month, and since I started work at 6:15 this AM, I can't use them til lunch time, but I will be using my Gen-teal artificial tears!

• eld6161
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Okay, hope it works. Getting relief should not be this hard!!!!!!

• silvercomet1
    6 years ago

I tried Restasis several years ago and couldn't tolerate it. The longer I used it, the more it hurt to use it, so I finally gave up on it. Later I figured out that my eyes don't tolerate castor oil, which is one of the inactive ingredients in Restasis. Castor oil can also be an ingredient in liquid tears, and I find it's more often in the heavier duty liquid tears. For me, it doesn't irritate my eyes instantly, but if I keep using eye drops with castor oil in them, my eyes just get more and more irritated. My doctor said it's not entirely uncommon to be sensitive to castor oil. So keep track of the inactive ingredients in the drops you're using just in case you see a pattern like that.

I'll be interested to hear how Xiidra works for you - I still haven't really found much that helps my dry eyes!

eld6161 thanked silvercomet1
  • My3dogs ME zone 5A
    6 years ago

silver, I've been quite impressed with the OTC GenTeal tears that I got through Amazon. They've been the best OTC drops for me, and believe me, I feel like I have tried them all. https://www.amazon.com/Genteal-Tears-Moderate-Drops-Fluid/dp/B01E085ANO?th=1

I also ordered the 'severe' version which is a gel, but it hasn't arrived yet. Gee, I just bought it yesterday, and the price has gone up $3.00 since! I don't see castor oil listed as an ingredient in either version.

https://www.amazon.com/GENTEALLubricant-Eye-Gel-Severe-0-34-Ounces/dp/B002Z9CFPW/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_121_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YZFS1JTBS535G804Z7ED&dpID=41bg6Znvm6L&preST=SY300_QL70&dpSrc=detail

• silvercomet1
    6 years ago

Thanks for the tip on the GenTeal - I'll give them a try!

• Yayagal
    6 years ago

I suffered for months as my dr. told me it was dry eye. I have every bottle of treatment ever made and I'd get, like you, up to an hour of relief and bam, back again. I finally went to Mass. Eye and Ear to find out I have ocular neuritis as well as uveitis. I was given steriod drops and within days it was gone. Now I use a cotton ball and soap and swipe them every night then rinse and no problems. I feel for you, it's painful and frustrating to say the least.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    6 years ago

Wow, Yaya - I can say that I don't have that, but the doc did say that my eyes are very dry, and she has me scheduled for a 'dry eye clinic' in December.

I'm on my laptops (home and work) for well over 12 hours a day, and I love to read and sew, so my eyes get a workout, for sure. But, I wake up and they are sore and dry, too, after being closed for several hours. I saw her in August, on a hot day, and she was firm about not having a fan on nearby. I do use a humidifier in my bedroom and and home office during the winter. Maybe once it cools off a bit more, I'll start using them earlier than in the past to see if that helps.

• eld6161
    Original Author
    6 years ago

My3, have you already tried the punctal plugs?

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    6 years ago

I hadn't heard of them til I just read about them after seeing this! She hasn't mentioned them; so I think the Xiidra is the first step, and she'll re-evaluate when I go to the dry eye clinic in December. I have no idea what is involved with that, but she said to be sure that I arrive before it's supposed to start. My appt. on 8/30 lasted just over an hour for all the tests and then talking with her afterward. I've only see this OD twice, as my previous one retired, but she is young and very well-respected. And, she loves dogs and has at least 3!

• eld6161
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Good luck!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert