Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjammjam

Chandelier or ceiling fan in Master with High Ceiling? Any regrets??

mjammjam
6 years ago

I love the look of chandeliers in masters with high ceilings. My contractor said that a fan is more practical for moving air even with A/C on. If so, are there any really cool, beautiful ceiling fans? I was looking forward to a sparkly chandelier, but now am rethinking it.......

I live in NY if it matters.

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    6 years ago

I tend to recommend ceiling fans that blend into the ceiling instead of being a design element. If your ceiling remains white, pick a white fan with a simple blade style so it doesn't draw the eye.

But if you have A/C with a good central fan system, go with a chandelier, IMO.

• torreykm
    6 years ago

I like in the deep south and have vaulted ceilings in my family room and master bed. We have a good HVAC system and I would love to have nice light fixtures, but will not go without the ceiling fans.

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

we have a similar master bedroom at our vacation house in RI. the fan doesnt work nearly so well as ours does at home on a 8 1/2' ceiling. if i were to do it again, i'd go with a chandelier and a good quality stand fan to pull out of the closet when i wanted to move the air around.

mjammjam thanked Judy Mishkin
  • Joe
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Some people made fun of me when I asked about this fixture but I live in Florida and a fan is necessary, even with the AC blasting. Personally, I hate fans so this is a compromise. I'll just leave it here and you can decide for yourself. Pretty sure it's still available here on Houzz.

mjammjam thanked Joe
  • Joe
    6 years ago

And just for fun, these were the results of my poll. ;-)

mjammjam thanked Joe
  • mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow, Joe! I don't know if this is great or just funny.... I will look into it though! Thanks!!

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you, Grapefruit -- Finding the lovely fan is the problem. hahah

• Joe
    6 years ago

mjammjam, that seems to be the consensus!

I look forward to seeing what you decide. Good luck!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

chandy would look beautiful. Do you use a fan? Because unless it's going to be directly over your bed, you really won't get the benefit from it. When it's hot, are you going to hang out in your bedroom?? prob not. I keep mine on over the bed all the time because I'm old and get hot during the nights. even in winter. (yeah, it's great.) But you're prob young and may not need that, yet. (just wait!)

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

After shopping for fans, I am going to order a Chandelier! haha . Fans were not so pretty and I'll love the chandelier 12 months a year, and the fan for probably 3. So Chandelier wins ...... Now -- I need help finding one. I'll start another post . -- Thank you all so much!