Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
becky_farinella

Coastal Farm House Kitchen

Becky Farinella
6 years ago

We are building a new home. I love many aspects of the farm house trend and since we live in Florida, also want to consider adding a coastal flare. If someone were to ask me my style, I would say, coastal farm house cottage. My current big decision is in the kitchen. I am having white shaker cabinets with "blackish" hardware. The island will be black, wrapped in black beadboard and the ends of cabinets will be wrapped in white beadboard. My counters are a light quartz.

I am struggling with backsplash choices as the backsplash will go up to the ceiling in the oven hood area. I really think I would like a brick look since I love the cottage traditional style. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I am not wild about the subway tiles as so many people use those. I want our home to have character even though it is new.

Comments (34)

• PRO
    Triple Heart Design
    6 years ago

can you post a pic of the cabinets or quartz please? and what is your flooring?

• Becky Farinella
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The last pic is of the tile flooring planks 9x48.

Thanks for any advice on backsplash! Also, I am getting a white porcelain farm house sink and I already have a farmhouse table with traditional black windsor chairs. My complimentary colors throughout the house will be aqua (coastal) and various shades of apricot/copper.

Basic color scheme

Complimentary colors

Appreciate any advice on any of the items above. THANK YOU!

• PRO
    Triple Heart Design
    6 years ago

Nice! With the patterns in the quartz fairly pronounced and beadboard, I would do something simple in coloring for the backsplash but bold in pattern. Brick would add a beautiful textural element, but so would a lantern, hex or herringbone pattern with a simple white tile. You don't always have to get crazy with the coloring - adding visual interest with simplicity can steal the show. I've also done subway with different shades of colors, white, beige, gray, some cracked, some matte to add visual interest.

Becky Farinella thanked Triple Heart Design
  • cpartist
    6 years ago

Try asking on the kitchen forum.

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Yellow import cabinets that will only get yellower and dated stained java ones is not coastal or farm house. It’s not white and black cabinets either. You need to move up the food chain to better quality and more authentically real materials.

• gle2011
    6 years ago

Hi, could you share the name of the quartz countertop?

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks

• alex9179
    6 years ago

I've saved a few backsplash pics that are reminiscent of your description. I like the look, too, and am thinking of bringing my countertop up the wall part way for easier cleaning. My exterior wall is brick and thought a white-washed veneer to the ceiling would be cool.

Here are my inspiration pics

Becky Farinella thanked alex9179
  • homechef59
    6 years ago

There is a reason why subway tiles are popular, they are functional and provide a neutral background. They work in lots of situations. You description indicates that they would be appropriate for your application. I suggest a white subway that is beveled. Consider a dark grout. Texture and shape provide additional interest.

Becky Farinella thanked homechef59
  • Becky Farinella
    Original Author
    6 years ago

alex9179 The last pic is one of my inspiration pics too!

• Becky Farinella
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sophie Wheeler What style am I describing in my original post? Your response said my cabinets are not farm house. Wondering what I am missing or misunderstanding. Perhaps you can clarify for me. Also, I did notice, as you did, the cabinets looked yellow in the photo but they are a true white. Thanks

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

IMO you need to pick a style, right now you are all over the map , I hate beadboard I think it looks cheap and I have no idea where a black beadboard isand would fit in either farmhouse or coastal

• User
    6 years ago

Since neither pop 5 minute fad as done today has any relationship to anything other than Disney theme park decorating, and is not an actual real style, you could put in orange cabinets and self label it orange farm decor if you wanted. It would be just as real.

A real farmhouse is about function first, and was full of hard wearing choices like linoleum floors and oak cabinets. A mud room full of muddy boots. A single fireplace to heat the whole house. Feather mattresses that you never turned over in all night. A giant freezer for produce. A larder for canned goods. A barn or three where you were out at 4:30 taking care of the animals first. None of that fake marble and pretty clean white cabinets.

A classic beach house was basic attic leftovers maybe slapped with some white lead. Very spartan. Formica counters, if you had any at all other than the table. Vinyl floors. Cheap rush or rattan woven chairs. A central kitchen table. A thrift store stove. No water heater. No air conditioning. No insulation even. Barely any lights. The cabinets there might have been an old dresser. Or a medical equipment cabinet. The table was likely linoleum covered as well. No fancy island. No marble or granite there either. No range that cost more than all of the furnishings put together in Nonna’s beach shack. Nothing that needed a coaster either. It was pretty much all cheap garbage one step from going to the dump.

• wishiwereintheup
    6 years ago

The inspiration pictures are all well and good, but only the first one makes sense because of the nice surface behind the range. I can't imagine having rough brick or stone behind a stove unless all you do on the range is boil water.

• Becky Farinella
    Original Author
    6 years ago

okay...so lesson learned. My choices should reflect what we like as a family. That's it. Thanks to those who are trying to be helpful. For those responders who wanted to make me feel stupid. You did. But thanks anyway. We will simply choose what we like because we are building the house for ourselves to love and enjoy. When I asked for an opinion about the backsplash (which was all I asked about) I should have been prepared....

• PRO
    Triple Heart Design
    6 years ago

Becky - you are doing the right thing - love what you have!! I want my clients to walk into their homes and love each and every element. If it brings you joy, that is what matters. Design is like art - each to his own. Size, scale, texture and balance are important, but it is how you see it that is important. Can't wait to see your finished photos - please share privately if you choose! Best of luck with your beautiful new home!

• Becky Farinella
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Triple Heart Design, LLC Thanks for the encouragement! Your customers are fortunate. I am sure you are a wonderful "guide on the side" for your projects.

• Becky Farinella
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Triple Heart Design, LLC Would this treatment on the island be better than beadboard? Just wondering what you think? Everything else is almost exactly what we are getting.

• PRO
    Triple Heart Design
    6 years ago

I would love to see the elements all together if you can with photos - one thing I try to help clients with is something I call layering - layer all the elements so they work well together and speak to each other to create a cohesive space from room to room. I looked through your photos on your idea book here on HOUZZ and you love the beadboard look, so I don't want you to move away from it because others are critical.

Becky Farinella thanked Triple Heart Design
  • Ed(Edwina) and Stephen Ci
    6 years ago

Just because I will be building soon and am interested in other's ideas..... For myself- I love stone/brick' but cannot fathom the mess/dirt of a rough or smooth brick backsplash- wouldn't it get greasy and filthy from cooking?? You couldn't just vacuum it nor wash it. Is there a sealant that would make it easy to clean and the sealant stand up to moisture, heat and long times before needing to be applied again? And would a second coat of sealant really adhere to the prior coat after cooking 'gunk' on it even if you cleaned before second coat?? Traditionally, fireplace fronts with stone or brick are terrible at trying to remove dirt/soot and stain forever unless sandblasted. Just putting info in my memory bank-- thanks.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

Becky, I don't think Sophie opposes your choices for your kitchen , just what you're calling the "style". I fully admit that the term "farmhouse coastal vibe" is like fingernails on a blackboard to me, too. I have NO objection to your choices - they'll be quite pretty. Those of us of a certain age just have a lot of trouble with calling things a name that represents someone's fantasy of something we actually have experienced and which bears no resemblance in reality. How about "I want a pretty kitchen done with some of my favoite finishes". It's the fanciful names that drive us nuts.

Becky Farinella thanked Anglophilia
  • Becky Farinella
    Original Author
    6 years ago

D Cir The brick we are considering is treated and will not be difficult to clean, as far as I know. Here is a pic . Discussed cleanliness with my "design house" and they have used it before....no issues.

• Becky Farinella
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Anglophilia I totally get it. I guess it is because design choices are such a personal reflection of ourselves that it feels "harsh" when someone is so critical... For instance, when Triple Heart Design, LLC replied, she was helpful and actually made me think a little bit about choices. When Sophie Wheeler replied she just made me feel "clueless" and unsure. As always, it's all in the presentation.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 years ago

Becky, I think the brick choice is very nice and will look great with everything else you picked out. I would love to see the pictures when you finish.

Becky Farinella thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • User
    6 years ago

Don’t use brick like wallpaper. It should be used as if it were actually structural. Brick veneers aka EZ Brick used to be considered “timeless”” once upon a time, and it NEVER was. Still isn’t. When it’s fake, it’s always fake looking in the end. Fake is never good, and never lasts.

These people chasing the current fads thought they were putting in a “timeless kitchen with warm inviting materials”.

The white kitchen with fake marble and fake brick is the next Harvest Gold and dark wood with brick. It’s already on the radar in a big downward spiral. In five years, you will look st it the same way you look at these incredibly popular and timeless looks.

• Ed(Edwina) and Stephen Ci
    6 years ago

Thanks for your reply. I am guessing there is some sort of coating manufactured into the brick... I love the lighter color along with brownish tone. Do what you want- it is your home!

• homechef59
    6 years ago

I'm going to discuss brick as a practical matter. If you use brick as a backsplash or countertop, grease and splatter will get on them from cooking. Unless the brick is sealed, this greasy splatter will mark up the brick beyond repair.

I had brick countertops in a previous home. I didn't install them. They were there when I bought the house. The brick has to be sealed. It's a long process and requires a lot of coats of sealer. Brick is very porous and soaks up the sealer like crazy. It will take a minimum of six coats to seal it. Eventually the sealer will yellow and start to peel off. That is a PIA to remove and recoat.

There are lots of ways to incorporate a farmhouse feel in a kitchen without using a material that really belongs outside. When you decide to use a material, you must ask yourself the question, is this the best material for the job? The pretty factor is secondary. I urge you to consider other materials.

Becky Farinella thanked homechef59
  • nirvanaav
    6 years ago

Brick has been fake for over 100 years. Structural brick walls were a 19th century and earlier technique.

• Becky Farinella
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The "brick" we are using is treated and is used commonly as a backsplash. It isn't real brick...my mistake, it is actually a tile created to look like brick.

• PRO
    Martina Collom Design
    6 years ago

Hi Becky- Just wanted to send some positive vibes. People can be nasty on here because it's the internet. Don't let these bad attitudes ruin your passion to create a beautiful home. You are on your way and your ideas sound wonderful. I am building too and like those styles as well; I also love mid-century - I call my style "Mad Men goes to the beach".. pick a style? NEVER - hah! If you like something put it in! Be unexpected and enjoy your space! Best of luck!

Becky Farinella thanked Martina Collom Design
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 years ago

Beware of new materials used in an application not long enough to have any issues. Try not to generalize a style by labeling it, to me "Farm House" means the occupants raise food for consumption by themselves and others. Combining styles basically says, "In know what I like, try to guess what it is."

• Holly Stockley
    6 years ago

Anything with lots of nooks and crannies and wide grout lines will be hard to clean, whatever it's coated in.

BUT - that depends on how you cook. For my mother, who does lots of things in the oven and is the maven of steam and boil - not an issue. For my husband, who is always pan frying, searing, sauteing, etc... it would require a power sprayer. I won't have beadboard anywhere near a kitchen he cooks in, either. I have nothing against beadboard - I actually like it and it's cottage feel. But I've been around the block with HIM enough to know that I'll never keep the grooves clean. (Tomato sauce that gets slopped down the side of the cabinet... and into the grooves. Been there!)

So, when you get opinions, see if they jive with your lifestyle, too. A lot of the kitchens we saw in upper level houses at the local parade of homes last weekend are clearly for show and have no relationship to a working room. Think about the way YOU cook and they way YOU live when you pick both your finishes and your layout. Not just IF you cook, but HOW you cook. The hubs was incensed at one kitchen that had the double wall oven around a corner from the range. Because he likes to sear things on the stove and finish them in the oven. For people who never do such a thing, that might not be a problem. For him - huge safety issue.

If you don't like subway tiles, give some thought to arabesque tiles. Or maybe a pretty porcelain?

It think the reaction you got has more to do with things not meaning the same thing to different people. Pinterest-based trend words aren't really accurate style descriptors. I find it frustrating, too, from the other side of the coin. When I search for "farmhouse" I don't mean JoAnna Gaines-esque, I mean actual farmhouse. But that's not what I get.

Becky Farinella thanked Holly Stockley
  • zippity1
    6 years ago

we have what i considered to be a farmhouse looking kitchen we have white shaker cabinets, both my grandmother and my husbands grandmother had white kitchen cabinets from the 1920's and 1930's, we have unsealed slate floors, the builder "did not want to use brick, said he'd never used them inside a house in 40 years of building, so we settled on slate, backsplashes are marble looking subway tile, countertops black leathered absolute granite i am very happy with these finishes, can see why you want brick blacksplash, but to me they would be a bit hard to clean go with what you like

Becky Farinella thanked zippity1
  • zippity1
    6 years ago

dh grandmother's kitchen had a solid red linoleum backsplash, the flooring was wood (probably not hardwood), the only times i ever saw it though it may have been linoleum at an earlier time the house was built in 1929 she had two white porcelain sinks in the kitchen about 15 feet apart and one had a hand pump straight from the well on the other side of the exterior wall

Becky Farinella thanked zippity1