Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jewelisfabulous

Do you prefer a light or dark master bedroom (sunshine)?

jewelisfabulous
6 years ago

I may be in the minority, but I’m in love with my north facing bedroom. I like to sleep in and can comfortably do so as the room stays pretty dark all the time.

I do appreciate the *look* of a sunny bedroom in photos and when touring parade homes, but know myself well enough to say that waking up to bright sun in my face would make me homicidal.

What is your personal preference regarding the amount of sunlight in a master bedroom?

Comments (36)

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

I'm a lark..so I love morning sun..:)

Having said that-the rest of the time, I prefer bedroom to be on the darker side. I find myself closing curtains, playing with a bit moodier colors..

Like, I want it to follow my natural clock..early riser, very active in the morning..then by noon I feel like it's time to sleep:)

DH is a complete opposite of me though. He doesn't sleep at nights. He doesn't like morning sun. By noon or later(or earlier if he has to get up) he needs it though to start waking up somehow

so he opens the curtains etc

I think we both love both light and dark but as per our schedules..:)

Not a lot of twilight where we currently live either, I feel it somehow influences things. I was used to twilight..I didn't love it then but now I appreciate it when I don't have it. so maybe I try to recreate it a bit. In lighting, colors, etcetera. Interesting..

• roarah
    6 years ago

I like my master bath filled with natural light but would prefer my master to be darker than it is. First for light reasons second because my southern Windows keep my room way too warm for me to sleep most of the year.

• User
    6 years ago

Funny- I love light and bright and am VERY much a morning person (actually rising quite pre-dawn) but I do notice that I keep the blinds closed most of the time in the bedroom and have a medium to dark color on the walls.(thought with lots of white all around). In my last home, the bedroom was much lighter in color and I think we had shades with stationery curtains- so the shades were let up each morning and it was much brighter. I guess I like both.:)

• User
    6 years ago

We nearly never open our bedroom blinds. The darker, the better.

• Bunny
    6 years ago

I love light. I'm an unrepentant morning person. My bedroom faces east and I never pull the curtains. If the sun/light wakes me up, all the better.

• woodteam5
    6 years ago

I love the sunshine. I have no curtains and love it that way.

• nosoccermom
    6 years ago

I need light, bright rooms but am also not a morning person.

We have lots of windows in our bedroom but also blackout blinds.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    6 years ago

I am not a morning person, at all. We have lots of windows in our MBR ---five, and we also get a light from the bathroom on my side, because the tub is in an alcove that is all windows and the entry to that bath is a glass door.

Since we don't need privacy and the we bought the house for its views, i spent a few years here before i even had any WT at all in the MBR or the MBAs.

How do reconcile all the sunlight? Well, it wakes me up; a good things. Also, if I need to sleep when it's light, i use an eyemask. I'm a big devotee of eye masks!

• tinam61
    6 years ago

Light definitely! I love lots of natural light in a room (any room). However, that definitely means window coverings. I am not one who needs complete darkness to sleep (I keep a light in a nearby room on at night LOL) but don't want the sun in my face too early. Mountain, I had to LOL. I cannot imagine wearing an eye mask! I think it would drive me crazy! Then again, I can sleep regardless of how light/dark it is, usually.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    6 years ago

Tina, I got used to wearing them because they give them out on international flights. But they do say that one sleeps better in total darkness, so I often wear them at home to bed. I am very finicky about mine, some of the ones they give are made of yucky poly and give off what smells like drycleaning fumes to me. My faves are all cotton from BritishAir. Two of my kids are devotees as well. The other daughter and DH won't even wear them on overnight flights. DD likes hers fancy, like these: (i know i know it looks like a bra, but the cup lets you blink more easily ).

Note - the only BR in my house with WT are the guest room and the MBR (partly because it is on the first floor). Eye masks are much cheaper than WT, too!

PS sorry for the hijack

• One Devoted Dame
    6 years ago

My master is on the *perfect* corner of the house for me -- dead northeast. :-D It has the cooler temperatures of the north side of the house (everyone in the family likes to sleep cold; all bedrooms are along the north side), with the happy early light of the east. Love it. <3

• bpath
    6 years ago

I'm not an early riser, but I love a light bedroom. DH likes getting up early (I mean, early, like 4:30) but he likes a dark bedroom. I open the blinds a bit at night to let in moonlight! Actually, we have some big trees and I like the feeling of being in the treetops. And I can easily sleep with the morning light; it feels quite decadent, really, to snuggle down into the blankets as the sky lightens.

• Olychick
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I'm a total night owl and a grumpy early riser only if I have to be up for something (like getting my grandson to school several days a week). I have a total 8 huge windows on 3 walls of my room, facing east, west and south and no window coverings of any kind. I have no problem sleeping through bright light - I think it's all what you get used to.

When I stay in a hotel, I try to get a room that allows me to sleep with the draperies open without sacrificing my privacy....sleeping with them closed makes me feel claustrophobic.

• Olychick
    6 years ago

mtn what is the source for those masks, please? My dil uses one and I think she'd like those.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    6 years ago

OLy, bed bath n beyond carries them.

• tinam61
    6 years ago

Mtn, they DO look like bras! LOL

Bethpath, you and I must be kindred spirits!

Oly, I do think it is what you get used to. Thankfully, I seem to be able to sleep regardless.

• einportlandor
    6 years ago

Light during the day, dark in the evening and early morning. Requires good window coverings and indirect lighting.

• amykath
    6 years ago

My husband makes fun of me bc I have blinds, sheers and curtains and they are open maybe once a year! haha

I love a dark bedroom.

• Joaniepoanie
    6 years ago

Our bedroom faces southeast. I am not a morning person. I have blackout shades and curtains. I dont have a problem though snoozing on the couch in the afternoon in the family room which gets a fair amount of light.

• jill302
    6 years ago

Sunshine, of course DH prefers a darker room. Our current bedroom is definitely on the darker side. While I would prefer more light a positive is that it stays cooler than the rest of the house on hot days.

• dedtired
    6 years ago

I like a bedroom that is sunny during the day and pitch dark at night. Unfortunately my friggin neighbor has a floodlight that shines right in my room. I asked them to turn it off and she said no. Nice. So, I put down the Roman shades with blackout lining and pin them to the window frame. There is still a big light leak so I use a night mask. It’s the purple one in Mtn’s post. Does the job except the elastic that goes around my head makes my hair all goofy. I cannot stand those neighbors.

• Fori
    6 years ago

I like privacy but don't care how bright it is. I can sleep anywhere, any time.

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

Blackout curtains after dark and curtains wide open during the day.

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

Dead tired I was in a house where there was a streetlight right outside and their window trim had a pocket or slot and a blackout blind fit into this slot so I am assuming there were no light leaks at night. It was probably a very expensive system.

I did window treatments for a client who had a streetlight three feet from his bedroom window. It was a blackout shade underneath, sheers for daytime privacy and blackout curtains over the top on rods that wrapped to the wall. It really took all three things. If he had been able to afford custom (besides the blind, which was) we may have had even better results with custom blackout curtians.

• LynnNM
    6 years ago

Another Morning Person here. We have a door wall on one side of our MBR, a window on either side of our bed on another, and a glass door leading to our walled bedroom garden on the third wall. We wake to sunshine most of the year and I love it. Thankfully, DH is a morning person, too.

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

Don't most people have problem with light control at night? The light pollution where I live is terrible.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

I like everything to be light during the day, closing drapes or window shades in certain rooms only when it gets too hot. The bedroom is dark at night because we have no near neighbors or street lights. (The coyotes do not wear headlamps.) During the day the window behind the bed is shaded by the large tree behind it and half-open shutters and the French door, which has a large pergola beyond it, lets in filtered sunlight only in the afternoon. It's ideal for us because I love a bit of dappled sunlight during the day in most rooms; it lifts my spirits. I can't imagine any room with shades or curtains drawn all day.

• Bunny
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I can't imagine any room with shades or curtains drawn all day.

Me neither. The lessening of light is my main objection to winter.

• sas95
    6 years ago

We don't even have window treatments in our bedroom.our house is set far back from the street, and same with our nieghbors' houses, so privacy is not a concern. And due to the large roof overhang and Western exposure, we don't get any significant morning sun. But I spent the night at a friend's once, and they had no shades and a very strong morning sun situation in the room. I really hated it, even though I am a morning person.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    6 years ago

As long as the moon isn't bright, uncovered windows and waking up to a gentle light is perfect. I can see the stars from bed and I love that.

For some reason, if I sleep too late in the morning, past 8, it ruins my day and makes me feel lazy, no matter how much I accomplish in the evening. Usually get up between 6-7. I do have a lifestyle that allows all this though.

• Indigo Rose
    6 years ago

Bumble, I have that problem too, of my energy being sapped if I sleep too long. Early riser here. My light yellow bedroom has an East and North window. I need a black out shade on the north and keep it down all the time due to a neighbor's security light but the east side curtain I keep open as the light gets me up in the morning...until this time of year when I struggle to get up for work in the dark, even with an alarm clock. I love the sun streaming in during the day except during heat waves when I keep everything closed up. . And when the neighbor's light is off, everything is pitch black outdoors here except for moonlit nights - no street lights in my town.

• Bunny
    6 years ago

Bumble, I feel the same about getting up after 7. Past 8 is pure decadence. :)

Last night I considered the light situation as I settled down in bed. I have an east-facing slider in my bedroom at the back of my house. The neighbors in back are quite close, as I live in a subdivision of small lots. Fortunately, and by unspoken agreement, outside lights are off at a reasonable hour (not past 10). I could discern only a lighter black sky due to street lights a block away, but still dark. The most light is from the smoke detector indicator about 12 feet up on my wall. When I close my eyes it doesn't register.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    6 years ago

Dedtired,

When our current home was being renovated, we needed to move here to start the school year. We moved to a rental home in our town. The neighbor there also had a flood light that shone right into our MBR. 24/7. Our crime rate here is is 91% below the national average ... we have no crime. God knows why they had a floodlight. Not to mention the wasted energy. SO glad it was only for a few months or I'd have gone ballistic.

Does the job except the elastic that goes around my head makes my hair all goofy.

Do you have long hair or short? If it is long, do what I do. Put the strap under your hair in the back.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    6 years ago

Not a morning person, but I married a farmer 25 years ago so I've reconciled myself to my fate. I can sleep anywhere and love bright sunny rooms, especially because the farm is in Canada six hours (by car) north of the US border where winter weather means short days and no leaves/grass from October to late May; the sun shines often, but in the winter with snow, the sky can be white/grey, the grass is brown, and the trees are grey/brown. My husband and I have also found, as we get older and need reading glasses, that lots of windows and light are helpful to see well.

No nearby neighbors and no streetlights (or other light pollution) to worry about here.

Current bedroom faces south (it has a bay window with lots of houseplants), and in the new house which will be finished soon, lots of windows facing north and east.

• Milly Rey
    6 years ago

Is "bright with blackout curtains" an option? :)