Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mr1010

What Are Birds Eating inside Cape Honeysuckle Blossoms??

mr1010
6 years ago

In the past few weeks my many huge Cape Honesuckles are in bloom and lately I see

med. sized yellow and gray birds going wild eating something inside the blooms?

Are they getting bugs or worms or nectar? the bees are also enjoying the blooms.

Anyone see this before?

Comments (12)

• mr1010
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well after searching for answers I'm leaning toward it being goldfinches eating nectar. Seems there are quite a few nectar eating birds besides hummingbirds.

• irma_stpete_10a
    6 years ago

Saw a sulfur - cloudless, I guess - today at a cape honeysuckle flower in my yard. I rarely see anything drinking at it although it's in 3 locations and fully blooming now.

mr1010 thanked irma_stpete_10a
  • mr1010
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I've considered naming my place "Honeysuckle Farm" since I have dozens and dozens around the place. And I keep propagating new plants from the runners.

My favorite place for them is outside big windows where I can view the activities

on the bush up close. Frequent visitors also include my favorite Giant Swallowtails

and eventually numerous hummingbirds.

I have poor, sandy soil but Cape Honeysuckle seems to thrive with a little help. They

make stunning hedgerows and good winter protection for birds. then later after blooming, cardinals eat the seeds. Just a good, productive plant for my area, 9b.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    6 years ago

Sadly it is a problem in my yard. Too vigorous and hard to remove

mr1010 thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • shuffles_gw
    6 years ago

We have woodpeckers come to our white bird of paradise flowers. I guess they are there for nectar?

mr1010 thanked shuffles_gw
  • mr1010
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Shuffles, I just checked and YES, woodpeckers do like nectar and in some areas they come to hummingbird feeders and share the goodies.

• Tom
    6 years ago

I have Baltimore Orioles and goldfinches using the Cape Honeysuckle now--in addition to the hummingbirds and butterflies when they are around. As stated above they all are after the nectar, but the nectar also attracts insects which they eat also. The orioles are using my hummingbird feeders a lot these cold days.

mr1010 thanked Tom
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

How interesting. I didnt know woodpeckers like to nectar on honeysuckle.

Do Goldfinches come up to North FL? I wish there were some here. I've never seen them here. The are tons of Cardinals. They like to get in the chicken pens and eat their food. The other day I walked out there and there was a big circle of Cardinals eating chicken food with a fat squirrel sitting in the center of the circle eating, lol. They took off before I could get a photo :/

I am just kinda getting into birding. I actually just made 2 Bluebird houses with instructions from an Audubon site. I just have to cut the holes in the front still then I can place them.

~Sjn

• mr1010
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh Tom, I just checked yesterday to see how I could attract some Orioles to my farm. Just curious what area of 9b you're in? I'm also 9b between Orlando and Ocala. I would be thrilled to see an Oriole here.

I just added another (4th) feeder yesterday in another area of my yard, due to the cold. So many birds congregate these past few cold mornings.

Sultry, I've had bluebirds here the past few years and they are so fun to watch.

The bluebirds love some water feature for mini-baths and drinking. they flock to my nearest pasture when I overflow the horse water tub.

And I've also added a couple bluebird houses this year. They nested in past years inside one of those big fake owl plastic statues attached to my barn roof peak. they actually pecked a hole in the chest of it to make their nest inside. The storms

blew off the head so I've got to get a big ladder out and glue it back on before

spring.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    6 years ago

lol that's funny about the owl statue. I have one on a garden post about 6ft off the ground. The only thing that's nested in it thus far are black widows :0 I originally got it to scare hawks from my chickens. Total joke, the hawks perch right next to it at times.

I have a large garden area fenced off on our property to keep chickens from getting in there and eating veggies. In the back I have some dwarf banana plants and under them I have a bird bath. I had to put it in there due to muscovy ducks getting in there tipping it over lol. I do see different birds in there from time to time. Mostly cardinals. They sometimes go drink from the chicken waterers but prefer the higher bird bath area.

mr1010 thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • mr1010
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The owl probably needs to be up higher to attract nest builders and maybe start a small hole in chest for a hint.

Sultry, you asked about goldfinches, yes they do seem to winter in your area. I didn't see many until I gave them another birdfeeder away from the main one that

attracts big birds and squirrels. Now they're here everyday and lots of 'em. I think they're eating black oil sunflower seeds and millet off the feeder.