Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vanderhagen

Both "all" Powders + Some Tide Scents are Discontinued!!!

vanderhagen
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi! I'm new to posting here, but have lurked for longer than I'd care to admit. Anyway, your knowledge on this forum is amazing! I have to thank all of you! However, unfortunately, I come with disappointing news. I know many here are fans of "all f&c powder" (my personal favorite), "all stainlifter" powder and "Tide Clean Breeze", "Tide with Downy" and "Mountain Spring" powder. ALL of these varieties are being discontinued, in addition to all varieties of "Mountain Spring" liquid Tide. Also, the "Tide Stainlifter Free and Gentle" which was only available at Target is discontinued, too. The scented variety of that type scored a 82/100 on CR, as you all know. The remaining stock at retailers is the last available. I decided to post this information so that if one of these detergents is your favorite/beloved, you can stock pile it. The representative from "all" told me that the shelf life of their powder is two years. I hope this helps someone!

Comments (106)

• vanderhagen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

MamaP, thank you! During my lurking I've learned you are so super helpful in this laundry room. Almost any laundry issue I could Google, you'd have the answer, LOL! I was referring to the "all f&C" liquid in regards to having no enzymes, even though I did mention both products together. IMO, the "all" liquid just doesn't clean. I know it is a popular product, but I find myself wondering how it is working for so many other people. I wonder, do they not care or notice? Is it REALLY working? Is their machine that much better than mine? Is their main priority a "sensitive" detergent over laundry that is actually clean? I'm sure it's just me, LOL.

The Tide F&G liquid left little marks on several of my clothing items that you can only see in certain artificial light and sunlight. It isn't because I poured it right on my laundry, either, since the machine does that part and is working properly.

Also, even the smell of certain f&c detergents/fabric softeners bother me. For instance, and at the risk of sounding crazy, the "all" F&C fabric softener has an undertone smell of the way most vitamins leave an aftertaste in your mouth. Bounce f&c sheets have the same chemical odor as scented Bounce sheets, minus the additional fragrance you are intended to smell. I can smell all of these on my properly rinsed, dry clothing. The "all" f&c powder just smells natural and fresh to me (inspite of my previous mentioned quirks, LOL). The Tide f&g pods do work wonderfully for me, but they just aren't my favorite for most laundering. I've been mostly using the Persil Sensitive, which has left me with a few opinions on the "vomit Persil" phenomenon due to my strange sense of smell. Maybe those will be for another day, LOL- maybe not. I'm also curious if any other members here are noses and know what I am referring to in regards to the chemical smells? Does Kirkland f&c or Member's Mark f&c have noticeable odors? What most can notice in the bottle is very noticeable to me after being dried.

Sea Sea: Yes! There are many readers in the laundry room that you are all unaware of, LOL!

Mimi: I believe P&G did make Mountain Spring sheets, before they discontinued them of course!

• sparky823
    6 years ago

They did use to make mountain spring sheets.

• Cadyren
    6 years ago

Thankful I just had to buy Cheer, Tide & Tide with bleach at Walmart, as I was almost out. My biggest fear is that they will discontinue every powdered detergent. I hate liquids & only use pods once in a while!

• vanderhagen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This whole thread I created has become useless. You all aren't going to believe this, but "all" responded to my most recent message to them on FB. They said their powders AREN'T being discontinued. That is a relief, but I'm very annoyed. When I've asked both of these companies the same question a second time on FB, while highlighting my PRIOR message and their original responses- they apologize for the confusion and state that their products aren't being discontinued. Even more annoying is that instead of admitting their mistake of misinformation, they word their apology as if they are "clearing things up for me". Really? Even the phone representatives, Shirley and Heather, stated it was being discontinued, but I don't have proof of that as I do in the typed messages. I think it is a selling tactic as Designhome stated. Maybe they periodically, intentionally misinform consumers to get a profitable reaction and they have certain quotas to meet in regards to any discontinuation inquires.

Anyway, I'm very sorry to put the Laundry Room on spin over nonsense, but I'm happy I finally found a reason to say hello (albeit a false one, LOL). At least my "all" f&c powder is safe- it almost makes me not care that I have an entire closet stacked with it, LOL! Is it REALLY safe, though? Who is to be trusted?

In the second response from "all", they refer me to retailers such as Amazon and Jet. Does anyone find that strange, though? I do. Seems strange to me to manufacture a product and then refer potential consumers to third party sellers.

• doreycrouse
    6 years ago

Tide just shot me an email back saying that the powders are here to stay!

• SEA SEA
    6 years ago

Well, even though this was quite the roller coaster ride (!!), I am relieved it has a happy ending. Whew!!

However, I was at Costco today and there was no powder Tide. It's the only powder my Costco sells and nada today. I was hoping there had been a run on Tide powder given how fast news travels these days, but there wasn't an empty spot where the Tide boxes would have been.

I hope this isn't a window into the future. I still worry that powders will go the way of the dinosaurs...

• Larisa Batchelor
    6 years ago

They have powdered tide on Costco’s website still. I bet this crap song going through a formula and or box change and discontinuing the current sizes and either making it smaller or changing the fragrance again. Been a little but it since they have done that.

• Cal
    6 years ago

This reminds me of the Wisk discontinuation, all over the place and eventually they did confirm discontinuation.

Would not be surprised given Persil discontinued the Pearls in the US and I was not able to find any powdered Tide in Target recently. Sad news if they do however, I much prefer over liquid.

• DH
    6 years ago
    you can always get discontinued stuff on ebay or sometimes amazon
  • vanderhagen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ya know, I'm really inclined to believe the oldtimer I spoke with at P&G who told me the Cheer powder was being phased out. I personally believe she had legitimate info. Aside from the theory that it is a sales tactic for employees to falsely state that a product is discontinued to increase sales, I think the validity of the response you receive from these companies depends on who is on the receiving end of the call, how long they've worked for the company, how much they maintain or deviate from their instructions on how to respond to inquiries, etc. The woman I spoke with seemed like a respectable, no-nonsense woman and she was very friendly and knowledgeable. She stated that she preferred powder detergent also, and her own tone of disappointment felt genuine (not like a sales tactic).

I've spoke with some other employees about products before and they are obviously following strict sales protocol with generic responses and pushing product after product when I express unsatisfactory results with a particular type. Many seem very coached in their responses. Facebook is the worst for the generic responses. That is just my opinion, but it's all I have left since apparently I can't get straight facts from these companies, LOL. I guess we will all just have to wait and see.

ETA: I did call on the days both Sun (Henkel) and P&G were updating their sites. Maybe that is also relevant info in regards to the responses I received.

• vanderhagen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Gosh, I can write novels^^^^LOL! I think my husband is onto something when he claims I can carry a whole conversation all by myself. Sorry, all [blush}.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Discontinuing Cheer would not surprise me. I've actually been expecting it for a good while. Throughout the history of Cheer P&G never seemed to know what they wanted to do with it. Always changing it. Its considered a budget brand but P &G has Era as a budget also...sooner or later one of these are gonna go. Personally I like Cheer expecially now that its so low sudsing. Its my goto for darks since its OB free. Greeny didn't you tell us it now has 3 enzymes? Not too shabby for a budget brand.

If P&G did discontinue their powders that would be criminal not to mention a HUGE mistake. I don't think they will they know powders historically clean better than liquids.

Cal as for Persil Pearls being discontinued. ..sadly americans or most anyway don't see the benefits of a whites detergent. People want a one size fits all. Up until it was discontinued it was being produced in a foreign country. ...since sales were to low it wasn't worth the work and money involved to set up factory/machinary to produce it in the states and they couldn't continue importing it...the loss of the Pearls was a big heartbreak for me.

• Larisa Batchelor
    6 years ago

I am still able to buy persil perals on targets online site. I ordered four about a week ago and showed up two days after ordering and have it coming on subsribe and save along with the 120 load size of powder cheer. Ironically found powdered cheer (120 load box) at a local target but almost 3.50 more than online. Target price matched their online price though.

• vanderhagen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

MamaP, I agree- Cheer is a gap filler for that income tier for P&G. It's definitely underappreciated.

Here is a link to an article I found interesting in regards to Henkel vs. P&G for anyone who is curious. It's insightful in the sense that Henkel's appearance on the market really redirected P&G and is causing major changes. I sort of enjoy the article's biased tone that implies that P&G was completely blindsided and scrambling, LOL. Makes me feel like they will work harder to bring us better products at a better value ;)

https://cen.acs.org/articles/95/i4/PG-Henkel-head-head-laundry.html?h=1384844903

ETA: For anyone not interested in the business aspect of the companies, there is also a list of ingredients showing which are exclusive to Tide and which are exclusive to Persil. It's a nice comparison.

• vanderhagen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh, and MamaP, it sure would be criminal if P&G stopped selling powder. It would confirm my feeling that they don't really care about our clothing care/cleanliness as consumers as much as they care about high profit margins and demand.

Consumer's Reports doesn't even test many powders anymore. It DOES seem P&G has to care about their results, though. I think anyone who is dedicated to powder should consider taking a moment to send CR a letter. We can request continuing to test powder and we can also request for them to test color retention, rinsing, etc. Although, I think the reason they don't test those other variables is because detergent manufacturers are constantly tweaking their formulas and making the time and effort put into the results invalid. It's worth a try to voice our opinion as consumers, though. After all, that is the basis of CR's business and they SHOULD listen.

Additionally, WHY did CR choose to test only a few powders? Did THEY make that decision, or does P&G encourage which formulas to test based off of sales? Inquiring minds want to know, LOL.

• Larisa Batchelor
    6 years ago

I once read that CR is paid to test the formulas by manufacture companies. Meaning in order to have CR test them the manufacture of detergent must pay CR to do so. Can’t for the life of me remember where I read that but would be why not a lot of powders were tested as the manufacture of formula pushes liquids more.

i hate liquid detergent. Gummed up each and every washer I have had over the years of use. Switched to powder mostly but sometimes use liquid when warranted and have yet to have a machine failure since. My appliance repair main said to use powders for the most part. My new to me washer (he front loader) recommends powder over liquid detergent too.

• vanderhagen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Larisa, they are supposed to be a non-profit organization. I wouldn't be surprised if that is true, though. Can't trust anyone anymore, LOL. I know they do consider market share and customer recommendations in regards to which products they choose to test. I just looked up their mission statement. It's "Unleashing the world- changing power of consumers". That about sums it up- we vote with our dollar and powder is just misunderstood. I tell anyone who will listen about powder detergent. May God bless the soul who decides to make small talk with me in the detergent isle, LOL.

• SEA SEA
    6 years ago

vanderhagen wrote: "powder is just misunderstood"

In my opinion, I think a lot of the misunderstanding and lack of appreciation of powder among American consumers is that SO many of them are firm believers in cold water laundering. Depending on your water chemistry, powder detergent can have trouble dissolving in cold. Or like here, if you get true tap temp on your washing machine and choose cold wash cycles, you are washing in 30something degree F water. I don't expect powder to dissolve in water that cold.

I follow a few of those make your life cleaner/more organized type of FB pages and there are many posts on my FB feed about the virtues of cold water washing. Then the comments that are on there, with people sharing how they only wash in cold water because it's best.

I can go back to the 1980's in my memory banks where people, and lots of them, preach about how one must wash in cold water to preserve their clothes and fabrics. I've received much flak over the years because I don't wash in cold water. The sermons I have been subject to about how I am ruining my family's clothing by washing in warm and hot water...so many cold water sermons. I have a few friends where I've had to say we will just have to agree to disagree and let's not talk about laundry anymore since we are not compatible on this topic.

Anyhow, then there's other reasons why people prefer liquids to powders. For example with us, before I had my laundry space reconfigured I had a stacked FL w/d and due to the way the laundry closet was built, I didn't have shelves or any space to work in there. To use powder detergent during those years was a challenge simply because you need a place to set the box on to scoop your detergent out and blah blah. Then the powder sprinkles that mess up the area when you don't have good use of space. I used liquid for many years for this reason because the bottle system was more tidy and easy to store. I also had funked out FLers and laundry and couldn't figure out why since I never had that before. Many people, like I did, can't understand that in some situations, using liquid exclusively can lead to smelly washer syndrome and sour fabrics. Thus, all these scent booster products to cover up the stink and perhaps the washer cleaning products too.

• vanderhagen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sea Sea, I've been doing my own laundry since 3rd grade. It was the 90's and my parents told me that we always use cold water only. It was like a laundry law, I guess. We also used Tide Original powder and Downy liquid April Fresh. I always followed their instructions, and I don't ever remember it not dissolving, but (TMI warning) I do remember a few years later when I was convinced I had super smelly feet, LOL. I was able to use the web and I figured out how and why different wash temperatures were used. I started washing my socks on hot and my feet NEVER smelled again. My dad had the same problem with some shirts, so I finally told my parents my secret. It must've worked, because the 3-setting TL washer was never set to the cold option again. I can't believe I just shared that, but I'm just being honest about my life-scarring experience with cold water. Never again.

The cold-water washing phenomenon sure had staying power, though. It's just one more sign (that I don't want to hear) pointing to the disappearance of powders. If someone is willing to wear unfresh clothes for the sake of the environment, I sure admire their selflessness. Me? Ticket for one going down...LOL.

• suburbanmd
    6 years ago

MiMi, so Tide Free and Gentle powder is gone from your store? It and other Tide powders are still on walmart.com thank heavens.

• beaglenc
    6 years ago

@vanderhagen, I love your story..."out of the mouths of babes". ANd MiMi, so right! This is one of the most exciting threads in a long while. I just hate that they-P&G screwed their powders by making them HEC. Good Lord knows I have such a hard time rinsing, and it's much worse in the colder months.

vanderhagen thanked beaglenc
  • vanderhagen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Beaglenc, thankyou for your kind words! I thought I'd be in trouble for breaking the cold water law, so I always turned the dial back to cold before transferring washed clothes to dry. When I solved everyone's laundry problems, though, I was praised. Maybe that is how a laundry fascination begins? IDK, LOL.

Speaking of P&G and their HEC powder products, do they just add silicone as a suds inhibitor? How about other HEC products? I ask because I was using Tide Stainlifter f&c liquid (genuinely discontinued-maybe, LOL) and my laundry came out REALLY soft. It's great, but some people did complain in reviews that it is so thick that it wouldn't disperse out of their dispenser, so beware if you try it. Anyway, I checked ingredients out of curiosity in regards to the softness, I and started comparing ingredients and noticing a lot of silicones in these products. Seems some formulas are the exact same as always, but they've just manipulated the amount of suds produced by adding silicone. I know hair gets coated by silicones in shampoo and it doesn't wash out without being stripped? Are threads and fibers affected by this? I know it's a small amount, but it still makes me wonder.

Also, am I the only one needing using the amount of detergent indicated on the bottle/box? According to WATCH (water, agitation, time,chemicals, heat), it seems I use the full amount. If you need to increase ATCH since you've decreased W in a HE machine, it makes sense to use more chemicals, right? Maybe this is in another thread, or should be a new one. This thread should die so anyone I haven't caused unnecessary panic for in regards to products disappearing can be spared, LOL. I still feel badly...

• Larisa Batchelor
    6 years ago

I have hard water and have experimented with many different detergent amounts and I have to use almost what the box recommends otherwise they don’t get clean. So wish I had soft water and could use a couple tablespoons of detergent like others do. I never get suds or have a hard time rinsing it out. I also have to use calgon water softener (that I can use a lot less) otherwise we have stinky non clean clothes every time. We use hot for most washes warm on some but never cold. Your not the only one :)

• beaglenc
    6 years ago

@vanderhagen, the main ingredient I look for is any form of SLS. I have more trouble with that. I have a Speed Queen tl. and use HE detergent (Tide F&G HEturbo liquid and sometimes the powder version and Tide with Bleach powder) and use no more than 2 tablespoons for most things. I do use either borax or an oxy booster. But yeah, silicone and some use dimethicone to inhibit suds.

• vanderhagen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Larisa, that's reassuring. I always feel like I can be doing something better and it seems less water SHOULD equate to needing less chemicals. Thats makes sense to me in theory, but only if my washer had ANY free-flowing water or if the detergent was already soluted in ALL of the water. A lot of HE washers only wet the clothes enough to be damp, and depend on agitation to spread around the chemicals. I think that is my issue.

Beaglenc, ah, yes! I should have specified any "cones" as ingredients. They didn't used to put them in the formulas that I'm aware of. Makes me think they are in there solely to inhibit suds, but may not do anything beneficial for fabric or may even be detrimental with regular use. Especially on items that should be absorbent like towels and cloth diapers.

P&G is following the product trend to take cones out of some hair conditioners, yet now it's in our fabrics. I read somewhere that HE machines are fantastic at washing and rinsing clothes, but the detergent companies were left with a new challenge; not being able to leave enough residue on your clothing for it to "appear" clean. Maybe the silicone also helps achieve the amount of residue these companies need to leave to give the impression of clean. Ick.

• Larisa Batchelor
    6 years ago

I too have a he washer (2012 model) but it has a button I can push that does max fill. So instead of ten gallons for a large load it puts 14 gallons in there. Never knew the button existed till I pulled out the manual for a pump repair and seen that lol it helps a lot more than I thought it ever would.

Before I have had several appliance repair people over for failing washers and all told me to use powder as it won’t gum up the machine and to use half. Well half the amount never worked for me so I made the last repair guy stay for a wash and to his disbelief it didn’t come clean until I used almost the recommended amount on box. From that point on he said well use what works for your water then. When we lived in Oregon and Washington state we had soft water and was able to use half the amount. Not so much here in Georgia.

My machine automatically does two rinses but there is an option to do an additional rinse. I haven’t ever had to use that feature as all the detergent rinses pretty clean with higher end powder detergent products. The only time I have ever needed to use that feature is when persil liquid first came out and I tried it. Suds galore there lol it hasn’t happened with newer batches of persil however we hardly use liquid. In fact I only buy trail size persil liquid with five loads per bottle now for the laundry that’s just needs a liquid. Cheer and tide will it have bleach seems to work well for us. Only use liquid when my son works in restaurants and all the kitchen grime.

• vanderhagen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Larisa, LOL @ "...made the last repair guy stay for a wash...". Sounds like something I would do! ;) I guess it's all just troubleshooting and figuring out what works for us. I guess that also means getting an exciting new washer can have a steep learning curve.

I had a HE top loader when we bought this house and clothes actually came out with creases that were dry in the middle. That means no water ever even touched those parts of the fabric. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. An HE machine with gravity working against it should've been abandoned at the drawing board IMO. I used to use the "bulk items" option that used more water, too.

• Larisa Batchelor
    6 years ago

I wish they would quit making the he top loaders. They don’t clean worth a damn and tangle all the clothes up. I had one for two days and said the hell with this returned it and fixed the front loader I have myself lol was just a pump and a new rubber gasket but let’s just say for the sake of my marriage I won’t be trying to to repair appliances myself again lol

• vanderhagen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Larisa, that is EXACTLY what was happening- the clothes, jeans especially, would twist and the low amount of water couldn't penetrate them entirely. I wasn't even comfortable giving that washer away without disclosing it's issues. Someone did take it, though. LOL@no appliance repairs for the sake of your marriage :)

• Larisa Batchelor
    6 years ago

It was a rough repair to say the least lol i got so good at taking the front panel, rubber gasket, and control panel it was like a nascar pit stop lol we got pump fixed and afternoon of cursing got the rubber gasket replaced and then a brilliantly idea I had a was to clean trap which required you to take hoses off (not like newer ones that have a door on them) put hose back on and everything back together and ran a load all to find out the back of the hose was not on all the way and leaked all the water alll over the floor ugh so had to tear it all apart to get hose back on. Needless to say we won’t be doing by that again, however did it for 40 bucks lol repair guy said 500.

• vanderhagen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Larisa, I love your story. My husband is very handy, but when he isn't familiar with a repair, he watches Youtube tutorials. Every time something needs fixed we are bordering on divorce, too. Seems like the floor always has to flood for some reason in home repairs. I'd have loved to watch your tutorial if you'd have made one, LOL. Are you sure it won't need done again ? ;) That's a great savings and it always feels so good to be self sufficient, too. I told my husband I'm going to video his repairs, set up a Youtube to earn and put him on there. The other tutorials are so calm and stuff always goes smoothly. Who actually repairs stuff like that? If I had a nickel for every cuss word he says when fixing things and for every other problem he creates in the process...LOL. Maybe you can do the same? LOL!

Anyway, I'm pretty sure i've hijacked my own thread at this point (several times). Sorry all! If anyone would still like to comment on the definitely-discontinued-maybe-not-definitely-not discontinued products- please feel free. Oh, LOL.

• Larisa Batchelor
    6 years ago

We didn’t make video but had we done so YouTube would of kicked us off the sight for the amount of foul language we used however that’s how I figured out how to fix our machine by YouTube.

Happy to report I have cheer powder 120 load boxes on auto ship with target and they gonna send four boxes (hey got scared lol) this next week. I am also able to still get persil powder detergent from target online too even though it’s been discontinued.

• vanderhagen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm afraid of my favorite detergents disappearing, too. We had someone out to appraise our home last week, and he needed to see the attic flap. I was prepared, but I didn't see that request coming. The attic flap is currently at the peak of "Mt.all". This man was taking photos, also. He had the biggest smile plastered on his face when I opened that door while stuttering and making excuses.

I want to try the Persil powder and wish it came in fragrance free. That definitely won't be happening, though. Also, all of this talk about Cheer powder is making me want to try it again. In theory, I'd like it for my darks. In reality, I used it once and passed it on. Maybe I didn't give it a fair chance, though, because everyone seems to really love it.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Check the date on the Cheer box. It should be 2017. Prior boxes are still out there. Only the newer boxes are low sudsing and containing 3 enzymes.

vanderhagen thanked mamapinky0
  • Larisa Batchelor
    6 years ago

I make sure I get the cheer powder from a place with current stock. Cheer powder at Walmart is around 11.00 (at my store anyways) for a 80 load box and it’s the current 2017 box. Target online is the current one too. I remember trying cheer a few years ago and too wasn’t impressed. I did give it a try after reading so many did so well with it and I’m glad I did. Has a very light scent and almost non existent once dried. Just fresh clean laundry.

As for the persil I love the intense fresh lol the regular pearls to me leave a light scent after dried which isn’t as strong as intense at all. However they have discontinued it and only a matter of time until that’s discontinued too.

i seen tide professional powder box on amazon and am curious about that. Not super curious since it’s 50 bucks a box but curious as to what the difference is between regular consumer tide and tide professional.

• vanderhagen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

MamaP, I didn't know they changed the formula! It had to be an earlier version I tried since it was about 1.5-2 years ago! I didn't think the prior version cleaned well enough for my preferences, even if it would have preserved my darks. I didn't dare say that here for some reason, though, LOL. Thank you so, so much. If I fall in love, I'm worried I'll be building a "Mt. Cheer" somewhere now, too.

Also, for anyone who has actually read through all of this and is still wondering about Persil being fragrance free or not, this was their response to me: "Thanks for reaching out. Persil Sensitive Skin recently became Perfume-Free. This does mean there is still technically a fragrance within the formula, but there has been no perfume added. Please let us know if that answers your question."

• vanderhagen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Larisa, I read up on professional laundry products a long while ago, and I came to the conclusion that they weren't suitable for noncommercial use and the risks outweighed the benefits for me. I can't remember the exact details, though.

• Larisa Batchelor
    6 years ago

IVe tried the sensitive persil for my daughter who can’t handle any scents and there isn’t but any scent to it. She loves that kind better than tide free and gentle.

Will have to look into the difference between professional and regular tide. Sams club used to carry professional. I’m not sure if they do or not anymore as I gave up my sams club card.

• Larisa Batchelor
    6 years ago

What about surf detergent. Does anyone use that anymore and if so does it clean decent and have some enzymes in it? Seen a box of that at Costco recently.

• vanderhagen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Larisa, I forgot to mention, the reason I asked Henkel about their Persil Sensitive fragrance situation, is because if someone is trying to avoid chemicals in fragrance as a whole, it is also good to avoid masking fragrance, which can possibly use MORE chemicals. I use traditional products since green ones didn't clean to my standards, but I still prefer limiting unnecessary ingredients. I have 5 little girls and my youngest has previously reacted to Tide Original liquid. Fragrance is full of hormone- disrupting, cancer-causing chemicals that companies do not have to disclose due to trade secret laws. Fragrance as an ingredient can contain 100+ different ingredients itself. I'm really not liking the way Henkel states "Perfume-free" on Persil's label, but "fragrance" is an ingredient. So, perfume is not fragrance now? I'm sure it's legal due to loose laws, but it's misleading. I just expect better from a company I'm supporting. Okay, end rant.

Surf was recently purchased by Henkel (over a year ago, I think). So, if anyone currently uses Surf, don't be surprised if it changes. Or, maybe it has already changed and is worth trying again?

I FB'd Henkel a few days ago to ask if "all Oxi" liquid has been changed. They stated that it hasn't undergone any recent changes. Well, it smells entirely different. I sniffed it at the store yesterday after reading an inquiry about it here. I have also read complaints in various other places, including their Facebook page. Someone else publically inquired, and they received the same answer I received. I asked about WHEN it was last changed, but they didn't respond to that part of my question. I tried "all Oxi" after going to a fire station open house and seeing that our local firemen use it. The fire station tours are really nice for laundry room creeps like me. Actually, their W/D is right out in the open, so I wasn't creeping around at all, LOL. Anyway, I'm not sure what to think of this (or any of these companies anymore really), because I trust that my nose knows.

• Larisa Batchelor
    6 years ago

It could of been a different supplier or batch of fragrance but still the “same” as what they typically use. I’ve had that happen before with a detergent before and an few month ago later when beck to what normal is for me anyway.

i prefer scents and since they wash away with as many rinses that I do it’s not an issue for myself but understand why it bothers others. My daughter (who’s now almost 22) has an issue with any scents in her laundry detergents.

just looked up surf it has enzymes in their formula. Looked at reviews too and most say the scent does not stay so gonna try that one too.

• vanderhagen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Let me know how Surf goes for you! That one may be too much scent for us, but I'm curious about anything laundry related, regardless.

I'm thinking about trying the "all Oxi" f&c. It's on the wish lists of several of the local animal rescues, so I may as well get a bottle for myself, too. If it's working on their animal laundry, it should work on mine, too, right? :)

• Larisa Batchelor
    6 years ago

I will say my daughter tried the all free and clear and before they reformulated a year or two ago it was great. However once they changed it the liquid which used to be clear had a yellow tint to it and a odd smell. They added an ingredient that made it a different color and they also says fragrance free (just like persil). It made her towels not absorb anymore and she did reach out to all on Facebook and seen many many complaints just like hers. She also had reactions to it. While it didnt work for her don’t need mean it won’t for you. Wish they would leave things alone if they work.

My daughter has great luck with Costco Kirkland signature free and clear and environmentally responsible detergent. The environmentally responsible has a light scent in the bottle but almost none after washing. Might be worth a try too.

I went to Walmart and got a small box of surf and it does indeed have enzymes in the formula. I’m doing a load now and the scent out of the box was very light. Hoping it’s almost gone once dried.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Its no secret about my extreme overload detergent stash...but Surf...not a chance. I had several boxes inside huge ziplock bags and than inside the space bags. My closet still reeked of it. Out of all the scents Surf disturbs me the most. I have considered a small box as I'd like one in my stash but I need to come up with a way of blocking the scent from escaping. Lol.

• Larisa Batchelor
    6 years ago

I got the ocean breeze or something along those lines and so far it was super light scent. The Hawaiian one was really really strong in the box lol like stronger than persil intense fresh. Just popped the load in the dryer and went outside (vent is out there) and so far don’t smell much. Let’s hope it stays that way lol

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

I really enjoy the ALL liquid detergents labeled *with Oxi*. By the way those are the ones with enzymes. I also really like the ALL with stainlifters pods..great little guys with a lovely scent. One of our members Mitch sent me a huge container of these a while back I've enjoyed them ever since. Add some STPP with them and they will clean even the most tragic loads.

Mitch also sent me the ALL with Oxi Free pods...I do like them. Problem is my Duet uses more water than it probably is supposed to so I'd need two pods...just not cost effective for this poor lady.

I saw Persil Sensitive mentioned above. Its one of my favorates course Mama has a lot of favorates. Haha

• vanderhagen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

MamaP, I read about you, "all" pacs and a safety pin somewhere on here, LOL! I like the "all" Oxi f&c pacs, too, and they just started having them in stock again around me. For anyone interested, there is a $0.50 off of any one "all" coupon on their website right now to print. Sometimes, they give $1 off of each. It doesn't seem like much at all, but when you buy whole shelves at a time like me, it adds up. Seems all the companies have coupons online if you check their websites.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

To be fair. LOL. I have been known to carry a safety pin in my purse...I've also pricked the plastic bag of pods being very careful not to prick a pod itself. Than gently squeeze the bag while holding the pin pricked hole close to my nose and Huffing. It would be helpful if there was a scratch and sniff on the bag. Haha. I once accidently pricked a pod in a small bag of Tide pods..so I bought them..this of course was when I was new at pricking. I'm a master now.

• Jerrod
    6 years ago

He top loaders..Not a fan. There is a separate energy efficiency rating category for these so at best they seem to be a compromise. So little water in them and then that wash plate that struggles to move clothes while the machine sounds like a monster coming to get you. Speed Queen has released their 2018 top loader models and some people even have doubts about them.

For me a front loader has been a better performer while still using much less water per load.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville