Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amsamuel

Help Needed: Advice on where to begin transition from tile to hardwood

amsamuel
6 years ago
We are getting hardwood floors installed and I want to keep tile in the wet areas. Plus, I want lighter floors to balance darker wood cabinets. My first option is to have wood in the living room only (lighter tile in kitchen and dining area). Second option is to bring dark wood in dining area too (keeping kitchen area only in the lighter tile color). What do you all think? Any advice welcomed!

Note: The color of the wood is by the fireplace. It's almost the same color as the kitchen cabinets.
Option 1: Living in wood only
Option 2: Living and dining in wood

Comments (10)

• amsamuel
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks for leaving comments, this will really help with my decision.
  • suzyq53
    6 years ago

You are going to hate that dark wood floor. It will drive you crazy. How about a large area rug for the living room? If you must have wood in the LR do prefinished white oak to blend with the tile. Have you thought about the transitions and what direction to lay the boards? Its going to be awkward with your layout either way.

• amsamuel
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks for your comments, we do have the same wood in our formal dining. Attached is the transition into our foyer. Looking to extend the wood from door and formal dining room to living room.

Also, we do have a large rug in our living room, just prefer wood over tile (look and feel).

Please keep the comments coming.
  • PRO
    Mysha's Flooring Company
    6 years ago

So as i see you have 2 choises, one ho with wood in living and dining and keep tiles only in thr kitchen or take everything out and do wood all over including kitchen, dark wood and white trims are definitely in trend!

Don't over think it just go with your gut!

• Jillius
    6 years ago

Maybe do a light wood-look tile everywhere? I agree with the others that the transitions will be awkward no matter what you do. I'd avoid them (using the same floor everywhere) or minimize them (by not having such a stark contrast between the two floor materials) as much as humanly possible.

I don't think you are adding value to your home by deliberately installing glaringly patchwork floors.

• amsamuel
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks to you all for your comments. I'm starting to really rethink my decision. I guess I was going for a look like this which I thought would be nice. Still welcome your comments...
  • Diane
    6 years ago
    Yes, dark floors show dust dirt and pet fur they are also stunning. We put in white oak with an antique walnut stain, no regrets. We also installed a central vacuuming system so I vacuum every couple of days. However, I drive a silver car because black while really good looking in my opinion always looks dirty. Imo it is most important to make selections that fit your home’s style and that you love. I will not make decisions based on easy of cleaning or less maintenance if I did I would live in a condo with surfaces I don’t enjoy. Don’t let’s others lifestyle choices influence your decisions or you may not like the end results. I do not mind frequent vacuuming, but hate the feel and look of carpet and ceramic tile.
  • suzyq53
    6 years ago

Well it does look nicer when its a straight shot like the first picture you just posted above, but if they had gone with a much lighter wood to blend with the tile, the kitchen wouldn't look like an island in a sea of brown. Also the entire house would be lighter and brighter. I get why people avoid wood in their wet zones, but in an open layout seeing the transitions and color differences, visually chops everything up and sort of defeats the purpose of open. Also, your house has a def mediterranean vibe, so tile or stone flooring makes sense. And dark wood floor in the main living space is hard to keep looking clean for most people.

• SJ McCarthy
    6 years ago

You can go either way. It makes sense either way. The question becomes: Do you feel the dining space is part of the KITCHEN or do you feel it is part of the LIVING ROOM? That's your answer.

Personally, if you prefer hardwood, then go ahead and get as much as you can manage in there = put it in the dining room. You will then break up the SUPER DARK BROWN flooring from the SUPER DARK BROWN dining set by using a SUPER LIGHT area rug (same colour as the tiles will work).

You obviously love this colour of dark brown so you might as well embrace it and then highlight the different areas with the use of awesome area rugs.

Voted for Option #2.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!