Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rottieluvr16

Seeking MasterBath and Closet Layout Help

rottieluvr16
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Cross posted in Bathrooms.

I will be speaking with our architect later today regarding changing our house plans for the Master Bath and Closet. I am not happy with the bedroom entrance being open to the bathroom and would rather the layout be bedroom, closet and then bathroom. Any suggestion for the placement for the toilet, shower and sinks?

Here is the whole house plan. House will sit with a eastern entry and Master bedroom/bath will be north. This home is not our "dream/forever" home and will be used as a rental, so I am not going for the perfect house design, just something functional for a family of 4.

Comments (12)

• B Carey
    6 years ago

If you are using the house as a rental, then does it really matter that the master does not go in the order you personally prefer? The bathroom is sort of choppy though. Is the dining space between the kitchen and entry? Is that really where you want the laundry, right off the front entryway?

• rottieluvr16
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We will be living in this home for some time, before it will become a rental, so it does matter to me that we have a functional bathroom/closet area. Yes, to get to the kitchen from the entry, one will walk through the dining/living area. Yes, the laundry room will be in the front entry. It was either that or have it in the basement area. While not ideal, it will be functional to not have to haul laundry up and down stairs.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 years ago

Is your "architect" licensed?

• Michael Stiller
    6 years ago
    I like what the architect did, you have 3 windows in your master bath. 1 in your master closet. The entry into your master sweet is called a vestibule. it can look very elegant with the right trim work. it would be something you can enjoy.
  • rottieluvr16
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, our Architect is licensed.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

There is room in the master bedroom suite to do lots of different things. Just talk to your architect about your priorities. Good luck with your project!

• Mrs Pete
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I agree that the master bath is awkward. It's small and maze-like, and so many doors (and pocket doors in the wrong places). I think you'll end up pulling your elbows in (people who've been in prison do that, you know, even after they're released from prison) as you walk through. And I agree with you: Sometimes the closet-in-bathroom works, but this isn't one of those cases. One reason is that the closet door and the shower are just too close together.

Switch the closet and bathroom /simplify the bath layout so it fits better in the available space -- this closet is slightly larger -- the loser here is the sink; to keep the toilet under the window, the sink has to shrink -- but the circulation between the rooms is greatly improved, and you'll have a great sound barrier between the bedroom and bathroom:

Switch the closet and bathroom /reduce the closet a bit so you can still have the large vanity and the toilet is neatly tucked back in a corner -- you're gaining a linen closet IN the bathroom (or that could be turned to the closet as a deep storage spot for out-of-season boxes, suitcases, whatever) -- or you could have a truly massive shower --- of course, you've lost some closet space here; the question is, was it useful closet space? You'd still have roughly 7' of storage down each side:

• rottieluvr16
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Mrs Pete, thank you for your examples above. This gives us something else to think about.

• rottieluvr16
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you bpathome. Those are some great ideas.

• bpath
    6 years ago

Swapping the shower and linen, and turning the linen access, also gives spot to hang your towel or robe while in the shower.

• Paul Griffin
    6 years ago

Sorry not an answer to your post as it looks like the nail was already it on the head. This looks like a very nice layout, would you happen to have an exterior rendering? I'm looking at a new home construction and this is something that would work for me.