Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rocketsngold

36in gas range vs 30in gas range.

rocketsngold
6 years ago
Thanks to Harvey, I’m in the position of getting to build a new house. In my flooded house I had a 36 inch gas cook top, and a 24 inch oven and microwave. Loved the cooktop but not the oven size. The microwave was a 24in builtin.

I will have a builtin microwave more than likely the kitchenaid I had before. But trying to decide on what stove brand and size to get and if I should get a built in oven also.

I’m attaching my floor plan. Placement has not been set yet for the builtins.

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

Do you need 6 burners or 4 a 24” wall oven is useless IMO and so are the double oven ranges that are so popular right now. I like a 36”range with one oven and at least one 30” wall oven

• DrB477
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

30" to 36" is a pretty big jump in price esp since it rules out most of the usual big box sort of consumer brands. The cheapest stainless bluestar 36" starts at about $4k and you can easily spend double that. You also get into potential issues with ventilation (and makeup air) which only amplifies the price differential further. The bigger space is nice to have, however its not essential for most people. So as with many things, its a how bad you want it vs how much it costs sort of thing.

24" as your only oven is a little small, but its a great size for a second oven. If budget allows seriously consider a combi steam oven bc they are awesome. Alternatively (or better yet in addition) getting a speed oven instead of the microwave can allow it serve the function of both an oven or MW. If you don't get a good quality 240V model, the oven performance suffers. At least 2 ovens would be important to me, but a countertop toaster/Breville is a good enough budget substitute to fill that need.

I had a 30" double oven range previously, it was very useful. The only issue was the larger oven was pretty low to the ground which wasn't the greatest ergonomics.

• lisa_a
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Without knowing anything about you and your family's needs, it's difficult to say whether you should get a 30" or a 36" range. How many burners do you regularly use? How many do you need when you entertain (if you do) and for holiday dinners? If 4 won't cut it, get a 36" range. Your kitchen is large enough to accommodate a 30" wall oven, too. Personally, I'd prefer to use the smaller oven most of the time so that I'm not working over a hot oven while cooking on the range.

Another option would be to do a 36" cook top, a 30" wall oven and a 30" speed oven (MW combo, multi-function). Separate appliances cost more but, as DrB477 pointed out, 36" ranges are spendy.

You didn't ask for lay-out advice but your lay-out doesn't make the best use of your kitchen's footprint. Your fridge and range are crowded together and your island's angled shape puts the sink farther away from perimeter counters than recommended, plus it provides limited counter space. Given the opportunity to take advantage of your misfortune (my sympathies), it seems a shame not to consider addressing these issues at the same time.

Are you on a slab? Even if you are, can you move plumbing at all? If so, here's one possibility that relieves appliance crowding and gives you a larger island with more counter on each side of the sink plus a lot more room to work on each side of the range, and better work aisle widths.

Do you have pantry space somewhere? Or are you doing pantry cabinets? There's room to add them to the above plan, either between wall oven/MW and fridge, creating a "wall of tall" or at one end or the other of the range run.

Oak Bay · More Info

The Great Spaces! Kitchen · More Info

Tudor House · More Info

Good luck with your rebuild!

PS. If your fridge is a standard depth fridge, you may want to allow a wider aisle between fridge run and island. Or you could investigate recessing the fridge into the stud space a few inches.

• Jenni Etgen
    6 years ago

Thank you all for your replies.

Patricia -- I also think 24in ovens are worthless. I had to live with it for 18 years. We were not going to do an extensive remodel to fix that issue, but now its a whole new house raised 5ft.

DrB477 -- Im considering a speed oven, but have had a previous bad experience wih them.

Lisa_a -- When this house is finished it will be only my husband and me most of the time. I have 3 children 23, 19, 17. The youngest leaves for college this coming August. This is not our forever house. I want to be sure what I'm doing will be marketable. We were already talking about what we were going to have to do to the house before Harvey. It took us 5 months after Harvey to decide to rebuild. The new house will be raised 5ft with a crawl space plumbing is not an issue. I like your suggestions for the wall pantry and the island layout. I was not happy with the current layout, but this was the first draft from my architect.

• blubird
    6 years ago

What about ventilation?