Help Needed: Front Door & Shutters, ornamental plant

Luci Gabrielle
6 years ago

Hi all!

I'd appreciate any ideas on:

--Front door paint color

--Shutter style / colors

--Front porch floor and steps stain color

--An ornamental plant to plant just to the Right side of the front porch.

(This is north Florida, so we were thinking a Camelia but any other ideas welcome, taking into account what plants will not harm the foundation and seasonal appearance...

Note: A porch light will be added, that's already purchased.

**The house was just painted, so please no advice about changing the exterior color. Ditto changing the door itself other than paint color, or changing trim or architectural details, or redoing the other landscaping.

**Our budget is nearly maxed, so just looking for a few very *inexpensive* additions to add curb appeal.

Thank you!

Comments (13)

• Luci Gabrielle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Another flowering shrub we were thinking of was a Gardenia... but this is Western exposure so not sure if it would get too much afternoon sun? We're in Zone 8b.

• Denita
    6 years ago

If you prefer to go with a more colorful shutter, consider something like this:

Bahama Impact Storm/Decorative Shutters · More Info

Luci Gabrielle thanked Denita
  • Luci Gabrielle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, Denita, I tried some mock-ups with shutters but they looked odd to me, I think because of the lack of symmetry...

• Denita
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Here is an article on the various pros and cons of the different types of shutters. IME the panel shutters are heavy and difficult to install before a storm. The accordion shutters are easy to close but are not attractive at all. The shutters I have shown you above, both types, are attractive and easy to close when a hurricane is coming. Don't use the shutters that just are decorative as you get no insurance premium reduction by using just decorative shutters.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/weather/hurricane/sfl-hc-shutterguide-htmlstory.html

• Denita
    6 years ago

You can balance the home's appearance with landscaping as time and budget allow. Landscaping is the best way to overcome non-symmetrical window placement and it doesn't have to be done all at once.

In your shoes, I probably would do the Bahama shutters on the front and the other type of shutters around the sides and back.

• Luci Gabrielle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here are some mock-ups I tried ( sorry - no Photoshop so these are very basic and I have a limited color selection). I think the shutters don't quite work because of the asymmetry of the windows in relation to the front porch (I wish the window on the right were a double window, but that was impossible due to the layout with a wall being in the way). I tend to think the no-shutters here might look a bit more modern and might look OK with a flowering shrub to the right of the door. (SEE LAST IMAGE) What do you think?

• Luci Gabrielle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Denita! This is a rental property so not sure whether the insurance deduction would apply. Also it's in Tallahassee, not near the beach, where glass-breaking hurricane are pretty rare. At the moment I'm just looking for something to improve the curb appeal.

• Denita
    6 years ago

The insurance discount applies all over Florida. The amount of the insurance premium varies widely depending upon your zip code. You can contact a good insurance broker and see if the difference is worth while to you because insurance premiums in the Tallahassee area are significantly lower than they are here in S Fl.

If you are going to just use the shutters as decor then don't put on those plastic stick on shutters at all.

Just landscape. Consider more than one bush. A local nursery can give you your plant options.

One more thing: right now your house appears to be floating. If you paint the foundation black it will bring your home to the ground.

When your budget permits, expanding the steps across the front of the porch will visually make this home look much more appealing. Right now the steps make the house appear unfinished and contribute to the unbalanced look. Part of that unfinished look is the fact that there are no risers and the steps are only as wide as the door.

Insp pic for steps below for your cottage. Just the steps not gable detail.

Cottage · More Info

• Luci Gabrielle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks so much, Denita!

• Luci Gabrielle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Great advice and inspiration pix...

• Denita
    6 years ago

You're welcome! Please post a pic when you have painted the door and landscaped, would love to see it.

• Luci Gabrielle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Will do!