Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saipan21

Help with BORING 70's ranch exterior in PNW

Rebecca Pierce
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We've lived in this house for almost 5 years and are just getting around to the exterior!

Apologies for the picture quality - it's from the house listing 5 years ago. I'll get an updated one tomorrow. And our lawn does not look that good anymore- we let it get mossy and go brown over the summers because we don't really need a lush lawn and it's relatively expensive to keep it looking like that!

These are the ideas we're throwing around:

1. Painting existing siding a medium-deep grey.

2. Maybe adding some horizontal cedar siding to the center bump-out (with the square window) to break up the monotony and add some MCM/contemporary flair?

3. Replacing chain-link fence - open to suggestions on style. We know we don't want it to obstruct the view of the house- no 6' solid wood.

4. New front door, light fixtures, and house numbers. We also have brick planters flanking the front door that will probably get taken out. I'm partial to a black door (below) and a little container of plants on one or both sides.

5. Landscaping - will take all the ideas we can get :)

Comments (18)

• suezbell
    6 years ago

Except for the first one of the house, the other pictures don't display.

Would probably add size appropriate shutters to the single window on the bump-out rather than adding a different siding material. With medium gray siding, these shutters could be black and the fascia could be painted black, leaving the window trim white.

Since you are painting your siding medium gray, black would not stand out as much as a dark bold cobalt blue or a dark bold emerald green -- those colors would be more likely to make your front door the focal point of the front of your house.

Since you like cedar, you might consider adding a cedar arbor in front of the right side of your house over your door at least from the bump-out to the right corner.

Depending upon how much you want to extend the arbor, it could also be in front of that bump out part of the house and extend all the way to the right edge of the house, enabling you to hang hanging flower baskets (and/or wind chimes and/or bird feeders) from the arbor on each side of that single window in the bump out in lieu of adding shutters.

The part of the arbor in front of the bump out need not have posts -- you could affix a modest sized arbor to the house itself and add a single post in the right front corner of the arbor.

http://arbororiginal.com/arbors/double-car-two-door/

• suezbell
    6 years ago

Not sure I'd remove the chain link fence. Keeping it lets you claim your entire yard whereas if you remove and/replace it, newer set-back ordinances may require you to place it closer to your home.

As long as the fence is mostly in good shape, leave most of it and replace only any obviously damaged parts. You could paint all the parts of the fence you're going to leave in place a "leaf" green color -- the color of a shrub that keeps its leaves year round. (holly or aucuba -- whatever is best for your planting zone that you like). Planting a hedge a foot or so inside the fence creates a better visual while protecting your lawn from being claimed/used as a sidewalk or roadside parking.

The only part of the fence I'd consider removing altogether is that straight part along the left side of and parallel to the driveway. If you remove that straight part of the fence, you could take a couple of the removed fence posts and double the two posts on the corner to make the fence sturdier.

Add a pair of light posts with a solar light atop each near each end of your driveway -- perhaps behind and centered between the two posts that make the angle at the beginning of the driveway and another nearer your front door. If you add a wood arbor, your new light posts could be cedar; otherwise, make them metal.

If you use treated wood posts, you could also add brackets for hanging flower baskets and/or wind chimes and/or bird feeders and/or bird houses.

• emmarene9
    6 years ago

When I look at the picture you offer a few things stand out.

The front of the RV.

The center gable portion of the house.

The chain link fence.

I think a good goal would be to diminish the prominence of all the things I mentioned.

I suggest a center opening gate to cover much of the RV. You can apply for a variance to get the gate to eight feet tall. I doubt your neighbor will object.

I would remove the chain link fence and not replace it.

Do not add Cedar or stone or anything else that would draw attention to the gable portion of the house.

The house has a side entrance and is not symmetrical. This is fine but you want to notice the entrance more than the rest of the house. I suggest a tree in front of the left part of the house. I think you should build a full height fence even with the house so you will have a private back yard.

I don't show it but an urn on the right side of the door would look nice. I would not put anything on the left side of the door.

The great expanse of concrete reminds me of a commercial building and is not homey. I suggest an outdoor rug to go from the door to the RV area. It will soften the harsh effect.

• emmarene9
    6 years ago

Here is a side by side.

• Manon Floreat
    6 years ago

I really like emmarene's ideas. As a PNW native and resident, I would rethink the gray exterior. We live in constant gray. I'd opt for something that mitigates that.

• Rina
    6 years ago

A few light climbing or rambling roses in a brilliant red could look enchanting with the fence. Other colours, including white, could also be lovely, but I fancy the red, especially if you are keeping the house grey.

• K Laurence
    6 years ago

Remove the horrible chain link fence & re-landscape. You need a few trees also. Maybe cut down on the size of the lawn via hardscape/ landscaping. That’s a large swath of lawn which only looks good if properly maintained.

• Embothrium
    6 years ago

A few red roses on the wire fence will not add up to a significant enhancement - you will need to do a much more substantial planting in order to mitigate the appearance of the fence. One that basically hides it.

I have seen periodically clipped ivy look very good furnishing chain link but ivy is just too much of a weed in our region for anyone to be making additional plantings.

If instead you don't want the space enclosed in greenery then taking the fence out might be best.

• sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago

We have a little ranch house in Portland. Driving up to my house still makes me happy two years after choosing our exterior paint colors. Siding is BM HC-146 Wedgewood Gray, Door is BM 028 Rich Coral and trim is SW Snowbound. We had the BM colors color-matched at SW.

The body color was taken from the cute house below, the door color is the BM recommended coordinating color and SW snowbound is just one of my favorite whites.

• User
    6 years ago

1- I love the gray but I think it's going to look very dated soon. Just like yellow front doors. My opinion.

2-This house is not MCM, so I might try to go a different direction. But some cedar could still look super cool.

3- hog panel fencing?

4- cool front door. I like brick planters. Maybe painted?

• biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
    6 years ago

I have to agree with the no fence crowd. Unless you need the front yard fenced in for your animals or another purpose, it just looks weird, and no amount of greenery is going to change that. Emmarene's idea of adding a fence on the left side to give you a private backyard is much nicer.

• Rina
    6 years ago

Just by way of conversation, I find different regional or cultural aesthetics fascinating. I live in South Africa, where these days most of us have high walls or pallisade fencing for security reasons, but even before that it was usual to fence in one's front garden, even if only with a short boundary-marking fence. Taller fences like this one discouraged casual intruders, human and canine, and kept one's own dogs safely at home. That often meant inexpensive chain link fencing, especially in the country and smaller towns. So when I see a chain link fence, though I don't claim it's beautiful, I just think of it as functional, is what it is, and want to pretty it up a bit.

Rebecca, do you have a reason to want to keep the fencing?

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    6 years ago

While I wouldn't recommend adding a C.L. fence in order to increase beauty, if it's functional and staying, then you'd need to look at ways to make it prettier. I've seen climbing roses on such a fence and say they helped quite a bit. (One would do a single type of rose, not a bunch of different varieties.) The bulk of the fence is more or less transparent and the top rail/edge is the most offensive part, so it helps if it's concealed with rose canes.

What currently looks most amateurish about the landscaping is the "lawn brooch" (that island set into the yard from the fence corner) which should be done away with in some manner ... either by incorporating into a perimeter bed (which would be necessary if something will be planted along the fence length) or just converting it back to turf.

The house needs some small (12'-15' ht.), preferably multi-trunk trees in two or three places in order to look protected, more interesting and 3-dimensional. A bed would be coordinated with the tree placement.

• Rina
    6 years ago

I love the term "lawn brooch".

Just realised, isn't it weird that "brooch" is pronounced "broach"? Eish, English.

• mary_rockland
    6 years ago

The areas between the windows would be excellent places to add tall flowering or evergreen shrubs to soften the squareness of the house. They could help put emphasis /focus on the house, rather than the yard or imperfections elsewhere. So I mean centered between the two windows on the left, and also centred either sides of the large window. Don't plant them too close to the foundation as you want them to have room to grow. I don't know what things grow well in your area (I'm only zone 4B) or what sort of sun exposure this side of the house gets. If you have southern or western exposure anything that enjoys the full sun would be great - tall ish roses, rose of sharon (hibiscus syriacus) are some that come to mind. If the exposure is northern or eastern perhaps rhododendron or tall hydrangeas of your choice.

You may want to consult neighbours or the other forums for suggestions of what type of shrubs would grown best in your type of climate and humidity.
    You could also consider putting a trellis between the two small windows and planting clematis or another type of vine, or a climbing rose. There are loads of climbing roses to choose from that don't need any winter protection even in my zone 4B so you would likely have much more choice in your area.

I don't really understand what the fence is for if you are not containing animals or children for a daycare. I imagine who ever put it up had a reason, please tell me what it is and we can discuss it further. Is there something you need to keep off the front yard that is threatening it without a fence?

If there isn't - It is very distracting and draws the attention away from the house and anything pretty you put behind it. If it was a short picket fence or something it might be different, but chain link looks so institutional, not welcoming. Used to separate your property from your neighbour is one thing, especially in the back yard, but it's a very different effect in the front yard lining as you drive by. I read "dog kennels" or "institution", not "welcome to our home". If you insist that you need a fence for some logical reason, state it and exactly which sides need it then the options for replacement (type of fence, type of hedge, alternate dividing or screening material etc.) will be more clear,

As to the color of the house I see no problem. It's like a classic black dress - it's a great clean canvas. It just needs some accessories in the way of plants. flowering shrubs, perhaps some balls of evergreen suitable for your climate to keep the eye focused on the house. Certainly a small tree as suggested above would also add some warmth and charm.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

I'm not sure why everyone seems so reluctant to suggest it but why not hire a landscape designer? The PNW abounds with qualified garden/landscape designers that are very familiar with the unique climate and wide plant selection and can help you with as much or as little of the garden plan as you like. Including fencing and other hardscape suggestions as well as bumping up curb appeal. Professional design input is relatively inexpensive and well worth the investment in terms of saving time and eliminating trial and error. And the experience factor can go a long way in introducing possibilities and solutions that may be beyond the mindset of most homeowners.

• Embothrium
    6 years ago

And someone viewing the whole property in person would also be better, all I'm getting here is a single street view from some distance away.