Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anne_kimbo

Bjorket birch cabinet fronts from Ikea o longer available

Akimbo
6 years ago
Last year when I ordered my Ikea kitchen, there were rumours that they were going to phase out the Bjorket birch cabinets. The Ikea in-house designer I worked with assured me that there would be stock avail. We've enjoyed our new kitchen, but one of our cabinets was not resolved until now. I just tried to order three drawer fronts for a 15" wide base cabinet: 5, 10, 15" Bjorket, but was told they have none available. I'm trying to get a hold of the original designer I spoke to but it's not looking good. :( Any thoughts?

Comments (56)

• m_gabriel
    6 years ago

IKEA Charlotte had some stock last week - showing the "last chance" sign on the display. I don't know which pieces. I hate to think their stock is scattered around all the stores! Did you call the online number for kitchen orders? Consider craigslist where you can search "all of craigslist" in case someone is trying to sell extras. I wish I had some for you!! We finished a Bjorket kitchen 18 months ago and love it. Good luck.

• Akimbo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, I will cast my net wider.

• Akimbo
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I'm in Victoria. I called Ikea.ca and they said they didn't have anything. In my experience Ikea has always had terrible customer service. I'm waiting to hear back from the Ikea gal who helped with my kitchen design. I do have a cabinet hinged door for that space and could try to do a pull-out with a Kessebohmer product (see pic). That's what I had wanted at the outset, but realized you actually get a better use of space from a simple set of 3 drawers. here is a pull-out option. It's pricey.

• bubblyjock
    6 years ago

And that comment is helpful how, exactly, Tony?

Akimbo - there are a couple of companies here in Canada who do doors that work with Ikea cabinetry.

One is in Western Ontario, called AllStyle, and I've just started talking to one here in Ottawa, Swedish Doors.

Both are here on Houzz, and there's a lengthy discussion here on GW about AllStyle as well - very positive.

I should think that if you dig around a bit you'll find one in the lower mainland BC.

Also try Kijiji and Habitat for Humanity for doors which match what you've got now.

How frustrating for you!!!

• Akimbo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks bubblyjock. I'm in Victoria so I'll check out our local Habitat for Humanity. I did get a reply this morning from Semihandmade in the US. They make cabinet fronts that work with the Ikea cabinet hardware, but they don't match Ikea products. I will check out AllStyle.

I also got a call from the in-house Ikea designer who helped with our kitchen design. She confirmed that indeed, there is no stock available of Bjorket. She suggested attaching a 15" bottom drawer to the 15" full cab door front, which I have. Ikea has a kit to fill the big round hinge holes. Then, install 2 hidden upper drawers. Cost would be $143. Would not be as convenient to pull out the base drawer, then reach in to pull out the hidden drawers.

They do sell pull-out hardware, but it's for a 12" cabinet only. I tried it out in the Ikea showroom, and it's nowhere near as smooth gliding as the Kessebohmer product I've tried at Richelieu.

• bubblyjock
    6 years ago

I'm guessing you've already trolled Ikea's As-Is? I've got to go to Ikea tomorrow and I could have a look here if you like?

I suppose you couldn't go very, uh, wabi-sabi and install a totally different "feature" drawer in, say, black?

Akimbo thanked bubblyjock
  • Akimbo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I live on Vancouver Island, so it's a $200 ferry trip to Richmond, which I may do if necessary. Yes, please have a look for 15" wide drawer fronts: 5, 10, 15" high. As for having a totally different colour, my yard is wabi-sabi, not my kitchen. : ))))

• KD
    6 years ago

Try eBay - I’ve seen some stuff there, off and on. I’m super annoyed they discontinued this style.

• Akimbo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I did find two out of 3 drawer fronts on eBay, but no response from seller, and probably won't ship to Canada.

• Akimbo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Question for you all: How annoying is it to access hidden drawers? Ikea rep suggested I use my existing cab door and add hidden drawers behind them. Those are just white material and are available. We want to store spices and other cooking essentials in this location next to the cooktop, i.e. frequent access. This pic isn't quite the same as ours, but you'll get the idea. Our cab front would be attached to the lower drawer, then reach in to access top two drawers.

• wysmama
    6 years ago
    I live in Florida. But will happily check our store if that would help you. I could go tomorrow morning.
    Akimbo thanked wysmama
  • Godswood
    6 years ago

I have a few of the Ikea drawers inside drawers set up. I wouldn't do it if you need something in the smaller drawers all the time (silverware). I would say spices verges on the all the time category, depends how often you cook from scratch.

Akimbo thanked Godswood
  • Akimbo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

wow. That's very kind of you!! Bjorket birch drawer fronts, one each: W15 x H5"; W15 x H10; W 15 x H15. Thank you!!

• Akimbo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Godswood. I suspected that. Hidden drawer would be for spices. My hubby is the cook in the family and he would prefer quick access.

• m_gabriel
    6 years ago

I like our hidden drawers. It's a natural motion to open a drawer and then pull out the inner drawer - kind of like climbing a ladder. But, if you are trying to get into stuff with one hand while stirring at the stove, probably a pain. My spices are in a drawer left of the stove but without the hidden drawer. The inner drawer is great for corralling short things like plastic wrap, aluminum foil, etc. and "just" fits for most of our mugs and the short IKEA glasses. I use the other ones for utensils, knife board, measuring cups, etc. In the pantry cabinet, they can divide a 10" drawer to accommodate soups and other cans (on their sides).

Akimbo thanked m_gabriel
  • bubblyjock
    6 years ago

Akimbo - we spent ages in The Swedish Door Company shop this morning. Incredibly knowledgeable and helpful, really know their stuff. You might want to get in touch, as they happily do mail-order doors as well.

Then an ice-storm kicked in, so we didn't stop at Ikea as I'd hoped, sorry! Hopefully I'll be there in the next week or so though. :)

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

I also love our hidden spice drawer with utensils beneath! I cook every night from scratch and I don't find it onerous to access the spices. I positioned the drawer so it's in the end of the island directly behind me when I'm at the stove so all I have to do is pivot if I need to spice things up a bit.

If you go with this option I would highly recommend the Ball tiny jars for your spices. They fit perfectly. It's great to have the lids labelled; they sell sticker labels but I just used sharpie, colour coded by use :)

Akimbo thanked miss lindsey (She/Her)
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

PS I'm in Chilliwack; this snow is sooo beautiful! But we don't have ice to contend with :)

• grdnbeth
    6 years ago
    Check on EBay
  • Akimbo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Anyone in the Vancouver/Lower mainland going to Ikea in Richmond? I know there is nothing in stock there anymore, but the Ikea rep recommended I check their ASIS section, where items are not tracked in their system.

Yes, there are a few for sale on EBay. One seller is willing to ship a 15" drawer front to Canada, others not, so I would have to ship the other sizes to a relative in California and have a relative ship to Canada. After all that, the drawer fronts only will have cost over $300, which is a bit silly. Add the Maximera drawers, plus hardware makes it a $600, 15" wide cabinet. : /

• Akimbo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here is the reply from Allstyle: "We don't match or copy any of the IKEA doors styles (new or old). We provide our own product offerings of doors/drawer fronts to fit onto the IKEA cabinets. Some of our door styles may be similar in design; however we do not suggest mixing them with current IKEA product as it may result in an undesirable match. We recommend replacing all the fronts with a new style or colour so you have a consistent look throughout. Alternatively you could change out a few fronts in specific areas to create an accent or feature contrast using a different a colour or design."

Our kitchen isn't large enough to support having one or some cabinets in accent colours. I considered the Ikea stainless drawer fronts but it's a different stainless than my fridge or dishwasher.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

We recommend replacing all the fronts with a new style or colour so you have a consistent look throughout.

lol. well of course they do. this is why they won't match it. they want you to spend and buy all of theirs.

find a custom cabinet maker. He'll copy them for you. Or, you'll have to splurge on the shipping costs. there's really no easy fix for this.

• bubblyjock
    6 years ago

Beth H. : as a "pro" I'm surprised you assume Allstyle should attempt to match three new drawer fronts to year-old woodwork across the other side of the country without having the existing doors to hand to ensure the match is perfect. I'd say it shows integrity on their part. They're not suggesting she buy new fronts from them, they're offering some helpful alternative options.

• Akimbo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

No blame from here. It is indeed a long shot that someone could match. Having said that, the wood does not appear to have darkened much over the year. I may be asking our carpenter if he can help us out. He made some custom shaker doors for our window seat. Anyone have a template for where the screw holes go for Maximera attachment? Can't seem to find anything online.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

bubbly,,,what I inferred (perhaps wrongly) was that this company did not do matches of ANY doors, but would gladly replace all his w/their own. That's fine. All I'm saying is that of course they won't attempt a match because they'd rather you buy all their new ones. Why is that an assumption? Did they even ask to see what he needed? did they say, "well, ship it here and we will see what we can do?" That would have shown an attempt. they didn't. they said "no, but replace them with ours for a cohesive look". Yes, it's helpful. and puts more money in their pocket. Maybe they just aren't that skilled to attempt it. I don't know.

• bubblyjock
    6 years ago

Well, Beth - from Akimbo's words, it is clear that AllStyle did not suggest she buy anything from them, they made it clear they do not ever match any Ikea fronts. They simply suggested alternative solutions for her. Therein lies the difference. I have no dog in this fight, but I don't like to see incorrect assumptions made about a company's policies.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

"I have no dog in this fight, but I don't like to see incorrect assumptions made about a company's policies."

apparently, you do. You're also assuming that my assumptions are incorrect. I'm aware of what they suggested. I gave my opinion on what I thought. It's an opinion and my assumption. Unless you work for this company, why does it matter what I think about them? The OP can choose to ignore what I've said. As can you. have a good day.

• bubblyjock
    6 years ago

Akimbo - no luck in the Ottawa Ikea As-Is yesterday, sorry!

• Elaine Hicks
    6 years ago
    Hi
    All my top drawers have the "hidden" inside drawer. I love them. Use them for spices and utensils . In a 36 inch drawer my cutlery is in the first opening part and utensils in the second hidden part. My junk drawer also is structured in that fashion. Compost bags etc in hidden, standard junk stuff in bottom.

We did use Allstyles for cabinet and drawer fronts. Great quality and the one error was fixed with no quibbles. Shipped to Victoria well packaged with no damage.
    Akimbo thanked Elaine Hicks
  • Akimbo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Good comments Eliane. Not looking hopeful that I will find the drawer fronts I need. As I have a 15" door, I could attach a drawer to the bottom of that and have 2 hidden drawers for spices etc above--(as recommended by the Ikea kitchen designer).

• Akimbo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks bubblyjock for looking in the Ottawa Ikea!

• bubblyjock
    6 years ago

Akimbo - I just feel so badly for you! Did you figure out an alternative yet?

• Akimbo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I just wrote to someone again on Ebay who has the 5 and 10" drawer fronts I need. The price is rather high, and I'm willing pay, but the seller will not ship to Canada. I've written to the seller again to ask if they will reconsider shipping to Canada. There is also the 15" for sale on Ebay, and that seller will ship to Canada. It's a crazy expensive solution to get these from the US, but would solve my dilemma. I can get the Maximera drawer interiors and hardware from my nearest Ikea.

• Akimbo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

Beautiful kitchen

• Elaine Hicks
    6 years ago
    Akimbo
    Use Seawings to get stuff into Canada from USA. They have a depot in Blaine , which you use as your address, and Seawings brings it into Victoria Airport. See Seawings.ca for more complete info. We have brought in tools and a refrigerator this way. Painless and big savings . Only negative complicated returns.
    Akimbo thanked Elaine Hicks
  • Akimbo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Good news! I found the three Ikea drawer fronts on a new EBay listing, from Charlotte, North Carolina. Cost a bundle to ship to Victoria, BC, but, oh well, my struggles are over. Thanks for all your comments. Elaine, I'll check out the Seawings.

• Akimbo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Update--my struggles are not over. Buying from the US was a bad idea. I continue to get phone calls from UPS advising me of additional fees: taxes, GST, brokerage, clearance... Just when I think it's resolved, I get another phone call from UPS with more fees. I did try to get the shipper to send to Seawings as Elaine recommended, but for some reason, the seller wouldn't do it. BTW, Shame on Ikea for not supporting their customers as promised.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

There should be a standard fee. call your customs yourself and find out what the procedure is. I ordered a crate of marble from China and had it shipped through the port of Los Angeles. I filed the paperwork and hired a broker to handle all custom fees and paperwork. the cost was 250. I don't know what the shipper paid on their end.

• Akimbo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Beth. Too late for that. UPS has the item. I should have done more research.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

UPS should have known what the cost was when they quoted you a shipping price, no? that's why I mentioned calling your customs just to see what you should be paying. Honestly, for small stuff like this, there shouldn't be a huge fee. I know for us anything under 2500 US dollars is considered personal use so it's taxed at a very low rate. you should have the same compensation.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

Anytime I've owed customs, UPS just charges me at the door when they arrive. I'm in BC btw.

• Akimbo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Beth. I'll consider this.

• Akimbo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, they will take payment at the door, but I can't change anything by that point.

• bubblyjock
    6 years ago

Ugh, poor you. UPS is famous for adding nefarious mystery "brokerage" fees on and above anything you and the shipper anticipate. It's enough to make your head pop off into tiny bits. Put it in the lessons learned column, and avoid them like the plague next time.

On the plus side, you've nearly got your cabinet fronts at long last!

• Danielle Cryderman
    5 years ago
    I love your bjorket!!! Seems like the closest they have now is Torhamn which is a bit busy for me. Too bad they discontinued them, we are renovating and bjorket would have been perfect.
  • jst4jnk
    5 years ago
    Did you solve this? Went to Ikea as-is today and got some fronts (or what appears to be) but they are longer that what you need, the smaller one is 18. Im in Florida. I'll ship them if you can pay the shipping.
    Akimbo thanked jst4jnk
  • Akimbo
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Found some from a guy on EBay. We were lucky. BTW, I've noticed that some of our Bjorket drawer fronts are bowing, i.e. sticking out more in the centre. We are not in a particularly moist or dry environment. I suppose, you get what you pay for with Ikea.

• Danielle Cryderman
    5 years ago
    Interesting about the bowing. I hadn't heard of that from them. I am thinking Torhamn again since no bjorket. I like the wood! Awesome that you found some on eBay!