Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta Favorite 2017

Show us your best hosta for 2017. The one that made you real proud. Halfway through treatment yesterday.

Comments (29)

• Tiddisolo Wales UK
    6 years ago

Always find this one hard to resist. An early riser which I have managed to protect from frost so far!

Frank Lloyd Wright

I have great hopes for this seedling of mine. It's probably an Ice Age Trail OP.

2 years old and I'm hoping the piece settling out to an edged pattern comes back this Spring.

I divided it out last year so fingers crossed.

Dave

• zkathy z7a NC
    6 years ago

I think you have to be an optimist to be a gardener! How are you doing with your treatments? Paula, you must realize that everyone will spend hours looking at pictures and no one will ever post if we have to pick ONE!

Here’s my top three:

Cutting Edge commands respect and dominates this part of my garden.

Lemon Ice masters the view of the entire garden the first six weeks of spring.

Sharp Dressed Man came into his own this year and strutted his stuff.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Paula good to be half way through, now you are over the hump. Glass half full sort of thing.

I am sure you all know by now I adore Winter Snow (definitely not the wintery white stuff) and Emerald Ruff Cut but there are other favorites. Like everyone else it is pretty much impossible to pic one!

I need all of the above!!!

Hanky Panky

Jaws

Powder Blue in July. Not it's bluest year ever but so impressive considering it poured buckets pretty much every day until the end of July.

• mctavish9
    6 years ago

It is very hard to narrow this down! My first choice is Abiqua Trumpet. It was picked because I rediscovered it buried under Liberty. It was moved near another favorite Carolina Sunshine. It's adorable.

Apple Candy is yummy.

Sunny Delight is a Delight. It is planted in about 4 inches of soil between the wall and the driveway. It's roots must have spread everywhere under the concrete. It's so sturdy and stays bright right to the end of the season. This one came from Sebright Nursery in Oregon. I'm glad Sebright was mentioned in favorite Nurseries. I've gotten some wonderful plants from them - generous divisions especially with the older varieties.

• Karin Black Cat
    6 years ago

Glad that I already ordered Frank Lloyd Wright :-) Abiqua Trumpet is one for the never ending list...

The one that made me very happy...

Green Acres, got it from a hosta friend last year and it made me smile really often when I was in the garden :-)

My old Blue Angel, will always be my Number one...

In general...I love them all!

• old_dirt 6a
    6 years ago

It is tough to choose just one. I may have overdone the pics on this one but it is my favorite. Komodo Dragon

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    6 years ago

This is soo hard. But if I have to choose. I can’t get it down to one. Looking at my inventory,I realize how many will be favorites. They are just not there yet.

Jade Cascade because of its long stately leaves and it was a challenge to grow.
    Sagae I couldn’t leave it off the list.
    Emerald Roughcut with Climax behind both killers.
    Beckoning love watching this plant go through it’s metamorphosis.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    6 years ago

Sea Dream is my favorite, lights up the bed, great grower here. She's been in the garden at least 20 years.

had to add a new favorite, my son and his wife adopted 8 mo bulldog Mack, he’s taking a time out from the resident bull dog.

Sherry

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    6 years ago

Yay for being halfway through your treatments, Paula!

Slugs would not like the Salt Lake! The only people I've seen go in it were my niece and nephew who wanted to see if the high salt content really made them float. it did!

LOL about the glass. My Mom's cat does that so now she only uses plastic bottles with caps. My kitty likes to dip her paw into a glass, so I keep a saucer over my water glass.

I've always been hopeless about picking a favorite anything, but here is one of my favorite photos from last season.

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    6 years ago

Wow... such beauties.

Old Dirt - I'll never tire of seeing that Komodo Dragon in the barrel - and I love the way it's placed in the garden.

Sunnywood - every time I see a photo of Beckoning I'm pretty sure it's beckoning to me! Maybe some day... when I have a little more shade.

Sandy - great garden shot... and the name of that plant with the very round, dark green/purple leaves?

Kathy - that's a really nice Sharp Dressed Man -- which is at the very top of my wish list.

McT - your Sunny Delight proves Ken's theory about throwing them on the driveway!

Donna - Amalia and Angel Falls are gorgeous, but I was expecting Grape Fizz... all your plants are so healthy and happy looking!

I was pleased and proud of my Winter Snow last year and Blue Hawaii... but they don't compare to the fantastic examples that some of you have posted... hopefully this coming summer I'll have more picture-worthy plants, and hopefully I remember to take more pictures of them!

Paula - hang in there... you're still in my prayers.

• StevePA6a
    6 years ago

That is a great shot Sherry! That pop of orange (trollius?) looks great. Sea Dream looks like a need, now.

Here's my favorites in my garden.

Goodness Gracious June 2016

July 2017 This one makes me most proud.

Dab a Green, not quite a mature plant yet, but grabs me every time I walk by.

Close-up from 2015

Hadspen Blue, my favorite blue, and bluest blue. (cropped photo, so it looks a little off)

Bridal Falls, one in a pot, one in the ground, so anxious to see them get big!

Kiwi Full Monty

Majesty

Lakeside Cindy Cee

• hosta_maker
    6 years ago

its all about seedlings for me

• mbug_gw
    6 years ago

I like the fact that everyone's favorite hosta is "more than one".......me too!

Good news Paula! Stay strong!

June w/blooms....late season

Guardian Angel ......can't wait to see if I get more growth

Brother Stefan,,,,,has everything

Devon Green....it's not easy being green

Stag's Leap blooming

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    6 years ago

Yowza - mbug - that’s quite a Guardian Angel!

• mbug_gw
    6 years ago

Thanks windy....a host of beauties on this thread

peren....love the HP and Jaws!

mctavish....love them all!

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    6 years ago

"and the name of that plant with the very round, dark green/purple leaves? "

windymess, That would be Ligularia 'Britt Marie Crawford'. They're good hosta companions, just don't underestimate how big they get.

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    6 years ago

Thanks Sandy... I may try to squeeze that in somewhere...

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    6 years ago

What a thread! It's nearly impossible for me not to add a bunch of these to my wishlist. Great pics everyone.

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    6 years ago

I'm just entering my 3rd spring as a Hosta grower, so while many of my favorites (or soon to be favorite) are listed here, mine aren't yet looking this nice. My 1st year favorites were easy since I only put 6 Hostas in the ground - June, Earth Angel, Abiqua Drinking Gourd, Rainforest Sunrise, Paul's Glory and Liberty. I don't think I was deliberately shopping off of the HOTY list, but not a bad place to start. Here's my favorite pic from my first spring before I learned about maple tree roots and I had to move these Hostas (and replaced them with others in spin out bags).

My first full year here I added over 50 Hostas, but many of them were not very big yet so my favorites all came from Van Wade - The King, Emerald Ruff Cut and Lakeside Old Smokey. Boy, was I excited to find a Hosta destination not far from home. What a difference the 1st year makes. In August:

And the following June:

Another year, another 50+ Hostas and I'm excited to see what spring will bring. Here's my new bed from last year.

This year I'm going to be in trouble. I've already ordered 60+ Hostas and my Hosta adventuring is going to range a bit further (while still enjoying those places closer to home). I think I need to move to some more acreage, and soon. Thanks for the therapy.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    6 years ago

Well, there's always an exception to the rule---I CAN just pick one! Great Expectations is my favorite.

My next favorite hosta would be Liberty.

Then after these two, there are several that are very close to being my ultimate favorites. I'm just waiting for them to mature a little more.

I loved seeing your favorites! They are beautiful.

6 years ago

newhostalady, GE is my favorite as well. Every time I go to a garden center or to someone's yard and see a hosta and think to myself, "I must have that one!" it turns out that it's a Great Expectations. I think I've tried to purchase one at least a dozen times before noticing the tag. I really like Liberty after seeing it pictured here so many times but I don't have one yet.

6 years ago

You've got to give GE a try popmama! Otherwise you'll never know if you could have grown one. As for Liberty, it takes a few years before it transforms into a beauty. And then when it does, you will know why it has been on the American Hosta Society's Popularity Poll since 2006. It may not have been on the Poll for as long as some other hostas, but considering that it was only introduced in 2000, well, that is impressive I think---and in the top 3 since 2008. I believe it is a must have. In fact I got a second one.

Hope the last half of your treatments goes smoothly and quickly Paula!

6 years ago

I have one Great Expectations. I'd love to have more! But I keep thinking I need variety rather than repetition. Here's my GE 2016, it's really not very spectacular yet.

• Dianne(Zone 3b)
    6 years ago

Great Expectations in the middle. I have only had it two years and it grew like crazy!

6 years ago

What a beautiful spot for it, Dianne!

6 years ago

Popmama, it is wonderful that you are having success with your GE! And you too Dianne! I would recommend not moving your GE's since they are doing so well in their current location.

Popmama, you said "I keep thinking I need variety rather than repetition." I have different view. I want more of what I know I love! So I have five GE's (of which only one is mature). And of course I want other hosta too. It is exciting to dream and hope that I will love some of my other hosta as much as my GE. I do think I have possible future contenders!

There are a lot of people who have struggled to grow GE. If it were easier to grow (in all zones), I believe that GE would be in the top 3 of the Popularity Poll. I love that GE retains its beauty for a long time during the growing season. You can't say that for many hosta. That is why I think June has remained so popular---people in different zones can grow it; it looks good for most of the gardening season; and it looks great as an immature specimen and even better when mature. It is a winner of a hosta!

• Dianne(Zone 3b)
    6 years ago

Thank you...I do not plan on ever moving that GE. It looks perfect all season. I have only had it a couple years so maybe it will go down hill on it's own yet. I have had problems growing some that others have no trouble with. I have tried Frances Williams many times and gave up.

6 years ago

It is a mystery sometimes as to why some grow well and others don't. It sounds to me that your GE won't be going downhill but will continue to grow---and you will love it more and more! Good luck Dianne!