Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frances_pitts

Size of machine stitched quilts. How large using standard machine?

Frances Pitts
6 years ago

My son's fiance is making a machine stitched quilt using a standard machine. How large can the quilt be and still be able to do the quilting under the arm? I also suggested that maybe she might make three panels and after quilting sew them together using the lap-quilting method. Anyone ever try this? If so what are your suggestions?

Comments (9)

• msmeow
    6 years ago

I think it depends on the quilter! I've quilted king size quilts on my sit down machine. To do the center you have to scrunch or roll the side that's going through under the arm. Rolling works well for straight quilting designs while scrunching works better for free motion.

I haven't tried doing it in sections.

Donna

• polardream
    6 years ago

I have a Pfaff 7570 and have also done king size on my machine. Free-motion and straight stitch in the ditch. I have not tried any fancy patterns for anything that large. If she has another table that she can put some of the bulk of the quilt on, that will also help while she is manuevering the quilt through the machine.

Sue

• hummingalong2
    6 years ago
    Better for your sons fiancé to have a total plan before she starts, it’s a lot of work, especially if it’s a pieced quilt...has she quilted before?. There are companies that will do the final machine quilting for you.
  • latifolia
    6 years ago

I’ve done both, although I don’t do queen size in my domestic machine anymore, preferring to send them out to be long-armed. Choosing a thin batting will make it easier.

Quilt as you go, you quilt strips (or blocks), then attach the strips and cover the seams front and back with long strips of fabric.

My preferred method is to sew, by machine, one side each of two fabric strips (front and back), then zigzag the pieces, then sew down the other side of each strip by hand. You can also sew three of the four strip sides by machine and hand sew the pieces and final strip side.

• Frances Pitts
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for all the response. My future DIL has just learned to sew and is already thrilled with being able to make things. She has completed a pieced quilted couch throw. She is a very fast learner and I am proud of her work. I was just afraid she might have taken on a task that might be a little frustrating for her. She has already bought fabric and is almost finished piecing her second quilt which I believe will be a queen. I will be sure to pass on all of your suggestions. I am so proud of her enthusiasm. I am sure she will stick with this project.

• KD
    6 years ago

You can also send pieced items off to be quilted if it’s just not working for her. One of my friends does quilting for other people like that - she has a special sewing machine for it that is huge. If she doesn’t want it all done by someone else she could have sections left open in strategic places on the design and then hand quilt in those sections?

• glassquilt
    6 years ago

I did a king sized on my Lily 555. Swore I'd never make another.

Lost it in a house fire so I can't measure it but looking online I think the opening is 6/7 inches. I got a Sapphire 850 and ten years later made a king for DGD's wedding gift. It was easier.

• Char
    6 years ago

I have quilted several kings on my Bernina 1090, but it is a chore getting to the center. There is a book with a quilt as you go method which I have never tried. Title is "Quilt As You Go {reimagined}" by Marguerita McManus and Sarah Raffuse. May be a useful reference if you want to try doing in strips as latifolia suggested.

• Frances Pitts
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all for your tips and comments. I will pass this info on to her.