Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashley_lucas6

What to do about ugly stone facade.

Ashley Lucas
6 years ago
Hi, I just bought this house and am at a total loss of how paint this house. I will be getting those shutters off ASAP and keeping them off. I personally would like to take it all of but that the inside of this house is a total tear out I’m trying to do temporary fix for the outside. There is so much stone I don’t know what to do with it or what colors would look good. The roof has been redone so there is no more orange trim. Thank god, haha. Please help! Any ideas are appreciated!!

Comments (22)

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Once the awnings are off and that tree in front gets some much-needed attention, it won't be as bad, but it does need landscaping. Pressure washing the drive will help.Get the downspout off the front of the house and decide if you're keeping the carport or removing/replacing it. You need a way to guide people to the entry and that might entail what you do to the carport.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

One step at a time.

Remove the awnings, but don't throw them away quite yet.

Next trim the ornamental bushes significantly to the sizes I have indicated on the photo.

Then take another picture and let's see what you're dealing with because we can't see much from these images. Can't even tell if it's stone or brick.

• Ashley Lucas
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    We plan on ripping all of the trees out and redoing the landscape. The second picture is a closer picture of the stone. It’s orange sandstone.
  • User
    6 years ago

Agreed...don't go willy nilly tearing everything out because the stone offends you...

Take an inventory of what you have...and get it trimmed so that next year it will be an asset to your house...

You probably want to paint the stone, right?

• Ashley Lucas
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes, I was looking for complimentary paint colors. There are some trees that are damping the side of the house and I know the entire thing needs some love. The huge back yard is worse. It’s going to be a labor of love for a while. But I mostly was wondering what people thought about painting the stone and good color schemes.
  • chickadee70
    6 years ago

I would not paint the stone. I would remove the orange leaved shrubs on the left, their color is not complementary to and is emphasizing the orange of the stone. I would paint the house siding. I think evergreens to scale and blue toned, would go nicely with your stone, planted in front of the wall. Include varied seasonal interest plants in varied heights, a bit of a "forested" type look, you have a nice yard area for that. The very large deciduous tree in front now is not in sync with the scale of your lovely home, I would remove it.

• User
    6 years ago

Probably the best thing to do is to stain the stone if possible...I honestly know nothing about it so I can't speak about it...but painted stone can be very one dimensional...if you can stain it, it would change the orange that you have, but it would still look like stone..

• redsilver
    6 years ago

No, I think you should clean it with water, 10-20% bleach and a brush!! It may totally change the color back to it's original tone? It works very well. <https://www.hometalk.com/23387406/q-how-to-clean-exterior-stone>"....In Rome they are cleaning the great arena with water and tooth brushes.
    They expect to be at it for 10 years. I would start with an assortment
    of brushes (soft to stiff) and a bucket of water with Dawn dish soap.
    Start with the softer brushes and work up to the stiffer brushes to find
    the best one. Finish with a power washer starting at the softest spray
    level.-----------If it is rock and you don't have a huge area to do, you can use the
    aerosol form of the bathroom cleaner Scrubbing Bubbles. Avoiding direct
    sunlight, wet the area 1st (a regular hose will work), spray SB on
    lightly, leave on for about 5 minutes and rinse again.-------I used white vinegar and a scrub brush on my interior fireplace and it
    removed the black soot and lightened the stone where it had darkened
    from age.-------When we had our stone patio built, I asked the stone mason what to clean
    the stone with. His answer, "White vinegar and water, mixed half and
    half." You can use large sponge (Lowes has them in the paint section).
    You can also use a stiff bristled brush with the vinegar/water mixture.
    Be careful if you decide to use a pressure washer. It will remove the
    mortar from between the stones. Use the lowest PSI tip with the pressure
    washer. Good luck!-----" Do pick a couple of these ideas, DON'T pressure wash, and see if you don't get some great results!!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

What state are you in?

If you're in Florida you can expect to powerwash the home every other year so you want to be very sure about how you change the appearance of the stone so this doesn't turn into a huge maintenance issue.

No evergreens near the house if you're in the South. They draw spiders. There are plenty of bushes that will not drop their leaves and stay green all year round.

I have pruned bushes down to the ground and had them come back in a completely new shape, so I'm a big believer in transplanting and reshaping provided the age of the bushes are not excessively old. Old bushes get leggy and never come back right.

• Ashley Lucas
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I am in Florida :) east coast by the beach :) And taking that into account is important here too.
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    6 years ago
    Personally I think the paint colors are a problem not the stone. The stark white and salmon do not work with the stone. A softer neutral putty/ off white on all the wood components would tie everything together better. If you want modern paint all the wood black fox.
  • apple_pie_order
    6 years ago

Hire an arborist for an hour to walk the yard with you. Some trees may be salvageable, some shrubs transplantable. They can tell you what the right time of the year to prune will be. When hurricanes are a threat, it's good to have your trees far enough away from the house. You may need hurricane shutters.

As for the stone, first prune the shrubs as BeverlyFLADeziner drew, and leaving a good footwide gap between house and shrubs. Then clean the red sandstone. It's part and parcel of what gives your house its character. Painted stone looks like the owners could not afford to maintain or replace it. Stick with the original red sandstone and show it off.

• User
    6 years ago

Is this something that you know you'll be ripping off in a couple of years (you don't seem very enamored of it)?... If so, I would just power wash it and paint the trim and call it good until the time comes to get rid of it.

What color is the roof?

• Ashley Lucas
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I would love to take all of the stone off and have it the whole house stuccoed. I told my husband I would personally chisel it myself, but as the entire house is a project are budget right now has been going into things that are necessary, like the roof and flooring. The roof is called drift wood, second one down in picture.
  • User
    6 years ago

Okay then lets just do some painting of trim and door.

Your roof is a good neutral (I think ours is the same color, actually). I highly recommend getting some guy with a pressure washer in for the day...have him do the house AND the driveway. And (so sorry, I know you didn't ask!) I also think that edging your driveway will probably make you very very happy. It does me.

I'm thinking that there is an mcm house here, somewhere...and you need a bright front door (turquoise?)

Get rid of the orange bush...it looks like you have an old retaining wall under the awning. I would rip that out and fill with stones and a couple of artsy rocks...

Trim I initially thought a dark grayish brownish (that's so technical, right??). But I'm afraid that might look like a square that's been outlined...so I might go light for the trim...Perhaps there are some features that you can paint the darker color? I can't tell due to the shrubs and the photos...

Hang in there! It will be an utterly smashing little house... :) And congratulations!

• Bevthebrit
    6 years ago

Is there new hurricane impact windows under those awnings? If you are on the east coast of Florida you might want to rethink about taking them down. Agree, don't just rip out trees. You may need a permit and it's VERY expensive plus in Florida they provide welcome shade.

• Ashley Lucas
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    We are taking them down, but we will keep them Incase we do have a hurricane we can put them back up. I don’t like the look of keeping them on all year long.
  • tqtqtbw
    6 years ago

Regarding the hurricane awnings. Quietly check with your insurance company. My parents insurance company wanted them to removed their vintage awnings and use the corrugated hurricane panels.

• Denita
    6 years ago

Those awnings look like they are pre-Miami Dade county hurricane code for shutters. Are you in SE Florida? Or along the Treasure coast?

Check the codes for your area. You will get great discounts on your homeowners insurance if your roof is newer than 2003 and if your windows are either impact windows or you have code compliant shutters.

You may want to consider a different type of shutter entirely.

Elite Bahama Exterior Shutters · More Info

• Ashley Lucas
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I’m in cocoa beach area so I guess the treasure coast? I’m sure insurance does not consider them hurricane shutters. They don’t consider the plywood people put up hurricane shutters either. Lol Our roof was finished on Monday so it’s brand new. And the windows in the house are newer but I doubt hurricane resistant. I really don’t even care for shutters on the house all year long, just like I don’t really care for the orange stone :)
  • Denita
    6 years ago

I am south of you about two hours and the new roof you just put on will make your insurance relatively low, compared to what we have here. Congrats on your new place! Have fun making it yours.