Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
romogen

MOONLIGHT ROMANTICA

romogen
6 years ago

Big 4-5 inch flowers with a medium smoky fruity fragrance. Cupped and quartered flower form, better than JAYNE AUSTIN, coloring is more beautiful than advertised. Good petal substance & large beautiful shiny leaves... looks like a winner!

Comments (30)

• Michael H 6b NY
    6 years ago

Beautiful!! Where did you see them?

• romogen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

At a local independent nursery today. I took a chance and got three of them during the end of bareroot season 50% off. Now I know where to plant them there climbers!

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    6 years ago

That is, indeed, a beautiful yellow rose. But, why did they use a name that has already been used too many times! It is descriptive, but it gets confusing when you have to remember the year of introduction or the hybridizer to be sure you're talking about the right rose. In any case, this is a yellow I can live with and will be looking for. It will make lovers of classic HT high centered roses happy as well as those who love old fashioned rumpled centered roses.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    6 years ago

Gorgeous!! Curious about the smokey fruit scent ... is that good or bad ? I have this one and am happy I got it

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    6 years ago

What a beautiful rose

Congrats on the score

• romogen
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

@flowers this one is purportedly a climber like EDEN. I hope it has better rebloom, but I can imagine EDEN & MOONLIGHT lending a romantic air to garden structures.

@Lily it’s pleasing if you like fruity fragrances. For example, I feel neutral towards the fragrance of JUDE THE OBSCURE. I don’t seek it out, but am glad it has a fragrance versus none. On the other hand, any rose with a heady damask, lemon, myrrh, or floral scent I go out of my way to sniff and as often as possible.

@Kristine thanks, I totally feel like I scored! However, FRIDA KAHLO looks like a disappointment. I adore Kahlo the artist — what a shame to waste a good name on a mediocre rose. I didn’t take any pictures of it, but the muddy colors aged badly like FOURTH OF JULY or TROPICAL LIGHTNING.

I wish I had thought to photograph EASY ON THE EYES & EASY TO PLEASE. They are both beautiful floribundas that make a colorful display. ETP has nice cupped flowers and the purple eye of EOTE is remarkable.

6 years ago

Romogen, I am so glad that you sai d that about Frida Kahlo. I was so close to picking that one up the other day. I' glad that I waited.

• romogen
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Update: today the flowers have a distinctly strong Tea rose fragrance in the early morning, and the petals have opened up some more. Did I mention they are held proudly upright?

• Michael H 6b NY
    6 years ago

I need this rose!!

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    6 years ago

Edmunds is selling this rose and still shipping it bare root. I just bought one!

I love this color in roses. Thanks for the enabling romogen :)

• ac91z6
    6 years ago

And it's available own-root!

NO, I don't need to order any more this year. Excuse while I go try to find my self control!

• suncoastflowers
    6 years ago

Wowza! That's perfect!

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    6 years ago

NIce!! I think I saw this potted at Menards - no blooms yet here though!

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    2 years ago

I would LOVE to see updates on moonlight romantic and how it’s all doing in your areas of the country. I’m debating on this one. The photos romogen posted has captivated me.
    🌸
    How big has it gotten for you? Are you growing it as a climber? How is the repeat on it?
    🌸
    I would love to see pics of the whole plant if possible.
    🌸
    Thank you!

• rosesmi5a
    2 years ago

Jung's in Wisconsin has this on sale right now -- own root.

• erasmus_gw
    2 years ago

THat's beautiful. Maybe the smokey fruity fragrance is similar to what I call a tobacco fragrance. Some teas smell more like tobacco to me than tea.

• Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    2 years ago

I think it has climber potential. Mine made incredibly long canes last year, 2020, and I am training it on a 4' chain link fence. I plan to report on its progress as a climber as news unfolds. It definitely is not a wimpy rose.

Moses

• Lisa Adams
    2 years ago

Ann, I am still growing Moonlight Romantica. I’m in the process of removing the forest of sweet peas, and Moonlight Romantica is the only one still covered. In our climate, I would expect it to grow a LOT. I don’t know what I was thinking when I planted mine where I did. I’ve had to chop off branches that were out of control. Some canes are unbelievably thick. I had to get the giant loppers out to cut it back. Mine might not be blooming as much as it would if I didn’t cut it back so much. It’s a tall, strong rose. Although I haven’t given it any fertilizer, ever, it still blooms quite a bit. If I find other pictures, or get to removing the rest of the sweet peas, I’ll post photos. Hope this helps a little. Lisa

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    2 years ago

Thank you Lisa. That’s VERY helpful to hear your update.

• Nick 10bSW17
    2 years ago

The first blooms of my own root second year MR from this past weekend. I prune hard as I’m short on space, it’s in the 3.5’ tall range- I expect it would grow taller if I let it. I get a strong fruity/peppery tea fragrance, I can imagine how that translates to tobacco. I’m in SF and can’t speak to how it does in heat, I’ve mostly been in the low 60s to a few days of low 70s the past month. From what I remember last year about repeat, it’s average- but it’s still a baby.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    2 years ago

Nick: Thank you for the update. Your moonlight romantic is such a lovely shade of ombré yellow with such pretty form. It’s good to know that you’re able to keep it at 3.5 feet tall... because like you I’m also short on space.
    🌸
    I always look forward to seeing photos from your garden.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    2 years ago

Lisa: I very much look forward to seeing photos of your moonlight Romantica.

2 years ago

What a pretty color of yellow.

I have a Teasing Georgia that just isn't happy. I will give her this year to get with it and the she may find herself replaced with Moonlight Romantica.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I have wanted Jayne Austin since I lost her cutting but this 1 looks beautiful. I forgot about this post. Erasmus, That is exactly how I think of the fragrance Of Heathcliff, tea and tobacco!

• Tess P
    2 years ago

@Nick 10bSW17 stunned by the beauty of your rose and had to comment. I didn't know this rose can hold up so well. They will make great cut roses I'm sure. Glad you can get their size under control and find them a beautiful home in your garden.

• mmmm12COzone5
    2 years ago

Is Moonlight Romantica cane hardy in zone 5? Any full bush photos in cold zones?

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    2 years ago

My local nursery (formerly Northland Rosarium) sells it and they sell only roses that thrive in this z5 climate.

2 years ago

I am definitely replacing Teasing Georgia with MR.

Does anyone know if Regans sells ownroot or rooted bareroot ?

Is this rose better as ownroot ?

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Bush-shot of Moonlight Romantica after 1 month of purchase as own-root from Roses Unlimited. Very vigorous growth, plus 100% healthy leaves despite being planted right next to the rain-spout. It likes soaking wet, since it has the same parents as Sweet M (Christopher columbus and Graham Thomas). It's in 4 hrs. of morning sun. Might fry in full sun since the parent is Graham Thomas.

Moonlight romantica bloom is large, lasts 4 days in the vase. Upper right is Aloha. Reds are Rouge Royal. Middle pink is Savannah. blush white is Bolero. Blue is Poseidon. The scent of Moonlight Romantica IS WAY BETTER THAN BOLERO. Pic. taken Sept. 19 in hot temp near 90 F:

Below bou to compare Moonlight Romantica (upper yellow) with Golden Fairy tale (below). Golden Fairy tales have lighter scent, but the scent becomes peppermint candy if aged in the vase. Moonlight Romantica has a sweet scent like Golden Cel, but much healthier & prettier bush than Golden Cel (throws octopus canes with blackspots).

I put 1/4 bag of gypsum (10 lb.) in breaking up my dense clay for Moonlight Romantica .. even more for Sweet M, both are calcium-hog like PcDM. Calcium gives more petals & lasts longer in the vase & helps with heat-tolerance.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County