Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bubblyjock

Wow - gorgeous fronts!

10 years ago
I'd love to get SEMIHANDMADE to do our cabinet fronts, but we're in Eastern Canada, waaaay far from California, unfortunately.
Anyway, any chance you could reveal how you made these particular fronts? Are they made from reclaimed barn lumber? We have mountains of barn board (floors, walls) from barns we had demolished, and I'd love to re-use the materials for cabinet fronts - just curious to know what's involved (we have a very skilled contractor, and I know he'd love to give it a go!).
Barn Lumber IKEA Kitchen · More Info

Comments (2)

• PRO
    10 years ago
    Lots of work involved here, though not impossible. He will need to re-saw all the boards to get the backside flat, then attach all the parts (on the back) with battens to allow the lumber to expand and contract. Sort of like making a fence, since a solid glue-up is impossible (doors would warp and crack). Good luck!
    bubblyjock thanked Semihandmade
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    @bubblyjock - this blog post on working with barn board may be helpful: http://www.longleaflumber.com/working-with-barn-board/

Sounds like your contractor has the skills to make it happen, though. Definitely a lot of work, but the final product is worth it. We've supplied barn board for a number of cabinet projects, including the below image.
    bubblyjock thanked Longleaf Lumber Inc