Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elysel123

bookshelf styling

elysel123
6 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

HELP! I have shelves i need help styling (first pics). i posted about my apartment in another thread more generally but hoping for more specific shelf styling advice here! i've provided some extra photos so you can see what kinds of items i have that could be used / how i am trying to get the boho-ish vibe. i've updated them a little since these photos but maybe you all can help generally! just like however you would do the shelves/ if i should get baskets or something to replace things, etc.I will update more pics later with how they progress!

This is how they used to be:

shelf 1

shelf 2

shelf 3

shelf 4

additional pics of items/old versions of shelves that show items that could be used

Comments (9)

• erinsean
    6 years ago

Everything on your shelves looks like something you love. You have some nice and interesting things. To me, it would be too hard to dust (?) What I do with my shelves, is I put minimal things on them and maybe a few months later put those things away and take out something else that I love. If all your things give you good memories, by all means leave the shelves as you have them.

elysel123 thanked erinsean
  • elysel123
    Original Author
    6 years ago

do you guys have photos for examples?

• chloebud
    6 years ago

I agree with about 50% less. Try to go with 1/3 books...1/3 decor...1/3 open space. I learned that here on Houzz, and it really makes a difference.

• elysel123
    Original Author
    5 years ago

i like that idea but i feel like i need pictures for reference and when i look online i see shelves that look great but are still full of items! so i'm not sure how to achieve that without it looking too empty

for example, i like the shelves below and im not sure how to turn mine into thehse!

• chloebud
    5 years ago

I think you need to decide what looks best to you. Several of those examples you posted just have too much going on for me. There's really something to "less is more." It's also much more visually calming. Again, what really matters is if it looks pleasing to you.

I was looking at a blog the other day where the blogger posted "how to style a coffee table." Honestly, there was so much stuff on the tables in her example photos that I couldn't believe she was serious. Just her thing, I guess.

elysel123 thanked chloebud
  • elysel123
    Original Author
    5 years ago

i don't like stuff on my coffee table or desk! those are virtually empty for me - aside from a few things on the edge of my desk. but wit the shelves, i guess it feels like the neatest way to display my things, art, books, items just ive collected, etc. but withhout being too messy. so i guess im looking for that mix of not too much so there is still some interest and boho-charm. another thing i considered is painting the dark brown shelf a lighter color or using contact paper to make it less intrusive. thoughts on that?

• chloebud
    5 years ago

Here are a couple suggestions regarding your shelf #1. These are just thoughts...I'd have to see the "after" to be sure. I wouldn't have anything else on the very top...the mirror is enough. For the top shelf/section, I might have just the horse and books with the books stacked. Remove those 4 little pots below. For the middle section, the duck with the round basket. Remove the triangular object below. For the bottom section, keep the five books with the gold "twisty" piece. I don't think you need the book under it...or maybe a thinner book.

Or...use just the framed art work and duck in the middle, and replace the gold piece and book on the bottom section with the round basket.

elysel123 thanked chloebud
  • mvastian
    5 years ago

Almost all the examples you posted were white background, so, there is something there...