5 years ago

Thank you, popmama!

• User
    5 years ago

First one I believe is Golden Tiara

• telymo
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Looks correct, jedi! Appreciate your help.

• whitewatervol (Z 8a/7b Upstate SC)
    5 years ago

When does #3 bloom? What color are the blooms and are they fragrant?

• telymo
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Whitewater, #3 does not bloom. That variety has been in our yard since we moved here 30 years ago!

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    5 years ago

Hi Telymo,

is it possible that #3 is not getting enough sun to bloom?

Connie

• Babka NorCal 9b
    5 years ago

Does #2 turn mostly green later in the season? It doesn't look like my Fire and Ice and it does look more like undulata univittata. We NEED something in the photos for size. a pencil, pen or beer can? There are over 6K named hostas and size and age does matter in determining ID's.

-Babka

• telymo
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Connie,

I've been giving some thought to #3. Yes, it is possible that those hostas don't get enough sun to bloom. I do seem to recall very sporadic flowering late in the season (zone 5). I've only really started enjoying hostas in the last 3-4 years, so I am lacking in knowledge.

I am going to thin #3 and plant in a couple of different places. Thanks for your response, as it gives me something to think about.

• telymo
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Babka, here is a pic from late June 2017. The solar lamp is about 3 inches wide. If you need a different pic I'll have to do that when it's daylight. Any help is appreciated!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    5 years ago

You need to put something on a leaf for size. Perspective in a photo throws everything off. If I put my camera at the base of a Blue Mouse Ears, with a Blimp in the background it would look the same size. Anyway, I think Josephine is making good guesses. Oldies but GOODIES.

-Babka

• telymo
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Many thanks, Josephine! You're right, Babka. I was just so excited to get some information I didn't think I could wait until daylight, lol. I appreciate everyone's comments and look forward to researching and planting more hostas!!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    5 years ago

Babka was more specific than I, that the undulata is a 'Univittata'.

I haven't seen such uniformity in variegation quite like this. It really is a beautiful specimen.

Couldn't agree more about the oldies being goodies - I have several in my own collection and wouldn't part with them.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    5 years ago

Golden Tiara, Undulata (undulating leaves) and Lancifolia

==>>> unless she is a collector.. i would tend to go with the old standards also ...

it ALWAYS helps.. if you add a scale.. anything we all might know ... lighter.. pen.. clothespin ... etc ...

ken

• telymo
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I wish I collected hostas! :) If you'll indulge me in one more pic....Royal Wedding planted last summer and Royal wedding so far this year.