Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbj6b

Compact Washer/Dryer help

Mary J
5 years ago

We have around 27" in depth for a stacked washer dryer. Our contractor has suggested the GE spacesaver combination washer dryer, but it doesn't get good reviews. Also apparently is loud and this is right off all bedrooms upstairs in our house (and we like to do laundry while our kids nap!)

Any suggestions for another option? We could do more compact if there's one that's great because we also have a washer dryer in our garage.

Thanks for the help!

Comments (21)

• zneret
    5 years ago

That's a small old tech high energy high water usage. What width? A stackable front-loading HE washer unit + dryer might be better. The agitator on the old tech top-load units is what makes lots of noise (clunking, more than a whirr of the HE units).

• Toronto Veterinarian
    5 years ago

That's not enough for a full-sized washer and dryer, but you could get a 24" "compact" front load washer and dryer to stack in that space. Make sure you check the space needed for ventilation around it, which might vary by brand. I would not waste my money on the one piece "all in one" stacked top-load washer with a dryer above.....a waste of time and money, IMO. I have a small laundry closet, and I'm starting to think about an all-in-one unit (the same unit washes then dries the clothes) but the dryers are ventless so they take hours and hours to dry a load.

• rococogurl
    5 years ago

I have a stacked compact Bosch 500 set with a ventless dryer. I definitely recommend it. Very, very quiet. It's in a closet in an apartment. It needs a 240v plug as the washer plugs into the dryer.

There are other compact brands people here recommend, chief among them Miele and Electrolux.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    5 years ago

rocogurl, please tell me more about your experience with the ventless dryer......

• Mary J
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    You guys are awesome. Width isn’t bad - 38”

This is all super helpful. I had a feeling the trade off for a larger load wouldn’t be worth it (I assume that’s what you get there)

I’m displaying my ignorance but what’s a stackable front loading HE washer dryer?
  • zneret
    5 years ago

Hmm, a front-loading washer (most if not all are HE = high efficiency) with a dryer on it. If you buy the same brand and line you can stack the dryer on top of the washerLike this

I was in Japan earlier this year and one of the hotels had laundry facilities. The washer-dryer combos were Japanese-branded (naturally but don't remember which ones) and weren't bad. Under 3 hours to wash and dry. I wonder if the technology is the same as what combos in other markets use.

• Helen
    5 years ago

I am buying the Bosch 800 washer with matching ventless dryer. My neighbor has this model and likes it very much and it is well reviewed.

There is not a whole lot of difference between the 800 and the 500 models except for increased water proofing. I am very cognizant of flooding since these will not be installed in the basement and a flood could be quite damaging.

If you read the reviews, the Bosch is fairly quiet and has a fairly good capacity.

I ak getting the stacking apparatus which has a pullout shelf in the middle which I think will be handy.

• carladr
    5 years ago

Check out the new Asko dryers. They are available in vented or non-vented and have a size that is more compact.

• rococogurl
    5 years ago

@TorontoVeterinarian - This is the second vent less dryer I've owned, installed in a laundry "closet." It dries most loads in about 40 minutes and low setting takes about 10 minutes longer. It has a condenser grill which needs to be pulled out and rinsed about once a month for me (more often if someone uses the dryer more than I do no doubt). It has an easy to clean lint filter in front. It throws off perhaps a bit more heat than a vented dryer and I need to leave the closet door open.

My Bosch has settings that dry full loads with sensors. I rarely have full loads so I use the timed dry or the 30 minute setting. That's it.

Bought it so, if I move, it can be installed below a kitchen counter or, basically, anywhere. Honestly don't find it much different than the vented.

• mfrog
    5 years ago

I have the electrolux condenser (ventless) dryer & haven't found much difference in drying times. But I hang alot of my clothes after drying for 15 - 30 minutes. I too leave my laundry door open & it is a bit warmer in the hall but not horrible.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    5 years ago

Thanks for the comments on the ventless dryers. My current LG stacked pair are about 10 years old and I'm getting mentally ready to replace them, which I figure will be in the next year or two. In talking with a neighbour about our small laundry closets, she told me another neighbour went with an all-in-one. I became intrigued with the idea.......The LG all-in-ones are very well reviewed, but ductless. I don't know if I'll do an all-in-one or a pair, but I'm now less concerned about the ductless idea.

• rococogurl
    5 years ago

Is the all-in-one a top loader?

• Toronto Veterinarian
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

"Is the all-in-one a top loader?"

Nope, a front loader. I love front loading washing machines, and will never go back to a top loader, even if I had the room.

• Vicky Vancleave
    5 years ago

carladr - have you seen the 2017-18 askos in operation? how does it perform? worth the money?

• carladr
    5 years ago

I have not seen it yet. We've ordered the set to be installed in our new construction in August/September.

• twebbz
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have a 2017 GE Appliances compact 2.2 cu.ft. 24" washer and dryer stacked. They were pricey but they work great. NO complaints. The washer has a heating element for the sanitize mode and it's relatively quiet too. The vented dryer gets hot like it should giving you short drying times. I love 'em! (BTW, I use regular Tide HE and BIZ.)

• Toronto Veterinarian
    5 years ago

GE has a vented 24"??? Wow, great to know!

• Vicky Vancleave
    5 years ago

carladr - which models did you order and why?

• Joyce Oliner
    5 years ago

Joining this discussion late...I'm in the market for a compact washer and dryer to stack in our master BA. They'd be sitting on a wood floor upstairs, so I'm very concerned about vibration. Is there much difference among the leading models on the vibration issue? I'm leaning towards the Bosch models because I have other Bosch appliances and have been impressed by them, so I'd particularly love to hear from anyone who has had a Bosch washer/dryer set. Thanks.

• mfrog
    5 years ago

I don't have a Bosch, have an Electrolux set mostly because of the second floor vibration guarantee. Also, I didn't like the Bosch because the washer plugs into the dryer & if one of them goes you have to replace both. I have my set upstairs in a closet on a wood subfloor & was very concerned about vibration. I had an LG set prior & even though the washer was levelled & my husband had put bracing on the floor joists it would happily dance out the front door if I didn't watch it. I've had the Elux set for almost 3 years & am happy with it for the most part. I would have bought a Miele set again as I had in our last house but not in my budget this time around.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022