Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staciemarano

Vaulted Ceiling - help needed

New Home Owner
5 years ago

Can anyone help mock this up or share a photo of a room with similar dimensions? We are looking to have a vaulted ceiling (coming up from 8' reaching 10' in height) in our master bedroom.

Dimensions of room are: 13'6" across x 19' long (from door to backwall).

They are saying that because of the original roof we need to follow, we cannot have it come to a point on top. It will have a flat area of about 1'-3' instead of a peak. (Peak is going vertically across the room).

i want to see if this will make the room look strange or darken it, etc. I'm nervous it will look tunnel-like. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments (27)

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    5 years ago

So it would end up looking something like this (ceiling but yours would have less of a flat part) It shouldn't darken the room. Since you only need a small part to be flat you could put a nice beam up there to add interest and distract from it.

New Home Owner thanked Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

An 8-foot ceiling with a 2-foot vault (+10-feet) will hardly be worth the effort. It would be much more effective to have either a 9-foot or 10-foot high ceiling.

• New Home Owner
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We cannot. It is following the original roof slope so it’s either a one sided slope or two sided with only 2’ slope. I’d love to see any examples of what this could possibly look like versus just making it 8’ across. The single side slope with flat roof would make me crazy!

• Denita
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Is this new construction or are you renovating your existing master bedroom?

Don't you have the drawings from the architect or the draftsman that put together your plans?

• New Home Owner
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    It’s an extension from existing house (creating a two car garage and master suite on top of that). Nothing exists there right now but it attaches to an existing house. Our architect is saying we have to keep the same roof line as our existing house but I’m confused why if nothing is there currently.
  • PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    5 years ago

I will take a photo when i get home. Our upstairs has 5' side walls and a 7' center where the center is 5' wide flat. Room is 15' across.

Should give you a similar slope.

I would like at making the center flat wider even if it means shorter ceilings. At least 3'.

• angelaaimt .
    5 years ago

We are actually considering doing something similar with the house we are about to close on. Would you be willing to share the ballpark cost?

• Denita
    5 years ago

Can you post a pic of the drawings showing the exterior of the addition so we can see how the roof of the new connects to the roof of the existing? Both Virgil and Sina posted on your thread and they are both architects.

New Home Owner thanked Denita
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

I would think as long as you provide windows, do not barrel vault the ceiling, and do not put in explosion proof light fixtures it shouldn't look like a tunnel.

New Home Owner thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • Denita
    5 years ago

And now you have 3 architects on this thread with Mark posting:)

• ksc36
    5 years ago

...and the OP has an architect that actually drew the plans and told her "we have to keep the same roof line as our existing house". It would probably look a little odd to change the roof lines is my guess.

• RaiKai
    5 years ago

Disclaimer - I am not a huge fan of vaulted/peaked ceilings especially in bedrooms. But since I assume you do like that look, I don't think that a flat part in middle would darken it or anything. It is a rather subtle vault (2' rise) so won't likely even stand out...I would just made that flat part as wide as you can (i.e. closer to 3' instead of 1'). I'd also leave it just painted same as rest of ceiling - no beam or anything.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

Without changing the roof plane, there are a variety of ways to structurally frame a roof...ranging from rafters of various design to beams and decking to a variety of truss types.

If you are really working with a true architect, take your ideas to her/him and ask for some options which increase the spatial variety in your room without reverting to the very tired and over used "tray"...

Good luck!

New Home Owner thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • New Home Owner
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @angela - it’s coming in at around $185k for construction et al. Additional about $15k architect and permitting. So I’d say budget about $200k but we are in NY so everything’s a bit inflated here.
  • New Home Owner
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi everyone - and thank you so much for your help. Here is the front elevation as well as the master bedroom drawing. Would love your thoughts and help in understanding if the roof can be more workable. Only the garage and master suite above garage is new.

• New Home Owner
    Original Author
    5 years ago

One more pic - bedroom side view. Scale is 1/4” - 1ft

• tatts
    5 years ago

I'd leave it flat. Less space to heat and your eyes will be closed most of the time anyway.

• User
    5 years ago

Take the extra money that this completely unneeded ceiling variation will cost and put that into spray foam insulation between the garage and bedroom. Better vapor sealing and insulation there will be a detail that you appreciate when you’re living there not freezing to death.

• tatts
    5 years ago

And...ask your architect for a rendering.That's his job.

New Home Owner thanked tatts
  • chisue
    5 years ago

I regret the cathedral ceiling in our guest suite -- *not* cozy. (Love the one in our Library.)

Thanks for posting the plans. I'm sorry, but I think this addition overpowers your existing house -- the height, the huge dormer that doesn't add space. (Where will you place your bed?) I can't understand the stipulation that the new addition's roof line can't exceed the existing...since it obviously *does*.

The closet/bathroom section could be improved.

• New Home Owner
    Original Author
    5 years ago

To clarify, the garage and master suite on top of it do not currently exist. That entire piece is new. We are not just adding a higher ceiling. We are adding a two car garage and approx 500sf of bedroom, bath and closet master.

Thanks all all for your help!

• User
    5 years ago

It’s really an inappropriate design to attach to your existing house is what people are trying to tell you. It’s very obviously an ADDITION. Which is never a good look. The “design” does the utilitarian job of plonking down a box. But it isn’t really a good design.

For the money that this poor design will cost by the time it’s actually built, you probably could just find a new to you better designed as a whole house for the money.

• chisue
    5 years ago

We know that the garage and master suite are an addition. Does the rest of the house have 8' ceilings? I'd stick with that and eliminate the oversize front window. You'll still have the additional floor space and a private master suite. The house will look 'all of one piece'.

New Home Owner thanked chisue
  • Denita
    5 years ago

It looks like your CAD operator didn't take the time to actually design this addition to make your home appear as if it were there all along. Is there any chance at all of working with an actual architect with some design skills so you end up with a home that not only functions for you, but looks like one cohesive design? It isn't just the roof, it's the whole addition.

• New Home Owner
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone for your advice. It is much appreciated. We will re-discuss with our architect and utilize some of the suggestions here. Thanks.

• chisue
    5 years ago

You are a good sport. I am sure you can make this work. Do give some thought to resale. Having just one 'taller' bedroom isn't going to change the fact that the rest of the house has 8' ceilings.

As Sophie says, you might reconsider 'adding on' and instead buy a different home that is a better 'fit' for your family. Beware the bedroom addition that overwhelms the 'public rooms' (Kitchen, Dining and Living Areas).

New Home Owner thanked chisue