Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_24781334

Need trim ideas for exterior of house

User
5 years ago

Our house is part brick, and part smart-siding. We painted the brick SW Jersey Cream, and the siding SW Svelte Sage. We want to add wood accents for the shutters and the post on the front porch once we're done painting. The part I don't like, is that the roof is an orange-brown color, and I don't like how it goes (or doesn't go?) with the Jersey Cream. I'm trying to come up with a trim color for around the fascia, etc, as well as the garage door. We will be getting a new garage door at some point in the near future, but for now, we'll probably paint this current door. I've included a photo of the front of the house, but the colors are a bit muted. The two colors (Jersey Cream and Svelte Sage) actually look nice with each other -- it's just the roof and trim colors I'm having a problem with. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Comments (13)

• Denita
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I think your roof is fine with both of those colors. The color that doesn't work is the garage door. Paint it the same SW Svelte Sage that you are using on the gable end above the garage. Don't go with a trim color for the garage door.

For your fascia (trim color), go much darker. Perhaps a urbane bronze color. Or a dark green:

BM Southern Vine 2138-10

Paint your front door a bright accent color that works with your siding colors.

• Denita
    5 years ago

Mediterranean Exterior · More Info
    ^How about this purple for a bright front door? It can work well with greens & cream. It works better if you have the same color in your plants like the insp pic above.

Wooded Highlands by Design Guild Homes · More Info
    ^If the purple is too much for you, try this red/orange to highlight your front door. It also works with creams and greens as shown above.

The idea to paint your front door a bright(er) accent color is to put the focus on your front door rather than the garage door.

Naturally, landscaping will be the finishing touch for your front yard. To get good landscaping ideas, post your dilemma in the landscape sub-forum here on Houzz.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    5 years ago

Always agree with Denita, but just to stir the pot:

Entire house Svelte Sage; garage door S W Garden Gate , and front door S.W. Mediterranean.

Roof, as I see on my monitor:

• Denita
    5 years ago

It's always nice to have choices! I like the colors Judy shows too.

@Jo, the colors are suppose to be the fun part of owning your own home:)

• colonialgp
    5 years ago

And you will not need to add shutters. They would look out of place with your current windows.

• chloebud
    5 years ago

Jo, I saw your post earlier and was thinking the Svelte Sage might look good on both the brick and siding due to the roof color. Don't think you can go wrong with color advice from Denita and Judy.

• phuninthesun
    5 years ago

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you all for such great input! I had actually thought about doing a darker trim, such as a green or brown color, etc. I'm going to get some samples and try them out to see if I like any of them. We had thought we would just do white, but now that I see these other colors, there's no way I want to go with white! I do have a couple of questions though: We have gutters/downspouts on our house. We plan on getting a all new gutters in the fall, so do we paint those the same as the trim then? Also, our house has had shutters on it since it was built in the 70's. We just took them down to paint the brick. We had thought we would put shutters back up to match the trim, but should we just leave them off? I've included a few more pictures of the house that I took today. I hope they show the colors better. Of the two pictures above (how did you get the car out of the driveway?!), I really like both color schemes, but I can't decide which one I like better!! Thanks! Jo

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    5 years ago

phuninthesun, I wish there was a LOVE button; those renderings look fantastic.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@phuninthesun - thank you so much for getting my car detailed! It looks great! ha!! Your renderings are wonderful, and I don't know which one I like the best! What color did you make the trim on these renderings? The shutters that were originally on the house were the old louver style shutters. We thought about putting a board and batten type of shutter on them now.

• phuninthesun
    5 years ago

With dark wood shutters. Urbane Bronze for trim. Try some samples first, it may be too dark for you in reality. Personally, I prefer the dark woods. I like the cedars, but they always feel a little more trendy to me.

User thanked phuninthesun
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Gorgeous! Thank you!! :-)