Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tanya_mueller51

Help with Long living room arrangement

Tanya Mueller
5 years ago

I have a living room that is 25 ft x 13 ft.

We just replaced windows and trim, painted Agreeable Gray on the walls and still need to add window treatments, paint the ceiling and get rid of the clutter (stuff around fireplace is donations) and then decorate.

My biggest struggle is how to arrange furniture in this room. We need a new couch. The wing back chairs are very comfortable but need a foot rest. My family insists on a TV in the room and my husband wants a bigger couch.

I feel like the placement of the front entrance door to the left of the fireplace and the large southern window make it difficult to land on a focal area.

Entry door is here on the left. Windows face the east.

This is the view from the entry door. The big window faces the south.

This is the view if you were standing in front of the fireplace.

This is the wall opposite of the big picture window. It has the TV cables. Cabinet is actually an antique with the doors taken off because they took up space on either side. Kitchen is on the other side of this wall.

Anyone have suggestions? Thanks in advance :)

Comments (21)

• Tanya Mueller
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Great! Thank you! I feel smothered in the room as it is.

• hellumme
    5 years ago
    I had a very similar issue with my living room...very long with a fireplace on the side where I didn’t plan to have my main seating area. While I actually ended up renovating the space, before doing so, my plan was for an L shaped sectional for tv viewing, and a chaise/bench for the other side that allowed users to sit toward the fireplace, or the tv on the other side. I think this could work in your space as well. I’ll try to follow up with some pictures of what I’m talking about...
    Tanya Mueller thanked hellumme
  • hellumme
    5 years ago
    ...also, I agree that there’s way too much furniture in there as it is. Here are some pictures. The style of chaise/bench that has the opposite corners is called a tete-a-tete if you want to look it up:
    Tanya Mueller thanked hellumme
  • User
    5 years ago

A floor plan would help..

Tanya Mueller thanked User
  • Tanya Mueller
    Original Author
    5 years ago

hellumme, I have never seen tete-a-tete before. The is an interesting possibility!

• Tanya Mueller
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

pennydesign do you mean dimensions drawn on paper? at this point I have no plan, I need a do over in this room!-ha

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

How's the de-cluttering going? Maybe by the time the weekend is over you'll have made some progress.

Tanya Mueller thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Tanya Mueller
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I am making progress on the de-cluttering!

• arcy_gw
    5 years ago

The windows and trim are new? Does that mean the crown over them is a new choice? That indicates to me you are leaning to a more formal space. Most of your furniture matches that style. The coffee table and TV area--not so much. To lighten the load of that space I would look for more of a credenza style entertainment center with the TV hung on the wall above. I am guessing hubby wants a longer couch for napping...mine had a similar request back in the day. Turns out that only gave us a monstrosity in the room. Little time for napping in a busy family who needs more than one person at a time using a couch!! Anxious to see your space after the de-cluttering!!

Tanya Mueller thanked arcy_gw
  • Tanya Mueller
    Original Author
    5 years ago

arcy_gw

Yes the windows and the crown is new. I don't know that I want a formal space per say, I would actually like a comfortable inviting space but want it to look put together. If that makes sense? I am resisting a sectional because I think the room will just become a couch and that is all. However our couch has seen better days and we could use a new one.

I have thought about moving the antique cabinet and hanging the TV on the wall to free up that space but being met with resistance from family. With so many heavy pieces in the room it is hard for me to move things around to get an idea of what would work. :)

I got side tracked but here are the pictures of my living room uncluttered.

Entry

Feel like I gotta get the mirror down from above the fireplace. ?

Extra chair by the lamp was taken over by the dog and he lays in it to see out of the window while we are gone...that is why it is where it is....

Antique chair and table on the left, China hutch in the middle and on the right is a piece that is like a small island with a pull out table. I just don't know what to do with these things.

Should I keep this china hutch? I don't know if I should keep it, paint it or sell it. I have a table that goes with it but I have remodeled my kitchen to be modern farmhouse and this doesn't go..

I tried making a floor plan with measurements but can't make it any bigger.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions. :)

• Denita
    5 years ago

Can you repost the photos without resizing? That way we can expand each pic and see more of the room.

• Tanya Mueller
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I couldn't figure out how to upload them here and allow that so here is a link to the pictures. Uncluttered living room photos

• Tanya Mueller
    Original Author
    5 years ago

BTW, didn't think to include this but at this time the fireplace doesn't work...would like to fix it someday....

• Laura Hill
    5 years ago
    Following...
  • Denita
    5 years ago

Just upload them full size in the comment section here. Most won't use the link you posted.

Tanya Mueller thanked Denita
  • gm_tx
    5 years ago

It's already looking so much better!

I'll wait for others to chime in regarding exact layout, but it seems to me you might need to create 2 separate zones in this room. What about putting the two wingback chairs by the fireplace, with that round (or is it octagonal?) table between them. This would be a nice, intimate conversation area, or reading spot.

Then move the TV and lounge area to the other end of the room. I'd put the TV on the 13ft wall. This also might eliminate some glare from the window.

• Tanya Mueller
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Denita- Thank you for the advice.

M

These pictures were bigger so I am hoping they show up larger...

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Would your hubs be okay with something less massive to hold the tv? It doesn't have to be the star in your lovely room...

• Tanya Mueller
    Original Author
    5 years ago

yes he would be fine with it, however he did say the TV we have won't hang on the wall...so that would not be an option unless we got a new TV (his eyes lit up ;) ) ha!

• User
    5 years ago

It doesn't have to hang on the wall, and it's a good size---men always think bigger is better ;)

If you want to hang yours on the wall above a tidier media stand, you can get a universal-ish wall mount for it. We got ours from Amazon.

Tanya Mueller thanked User