Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blondelle

Would this vanity work with my plumbing?

blondelle
5 years ago
Don't know why it's so off to the right. Gutting the entire bath but have to get a vanity now. Can the elbow move higher? Getting one with two doors would easier but could this one be made to work at all? Thanks!

Comments (17)

• zneret
    5 years ago

It this vanity mean to be temporary? If so, you could make it work depending it the bottom of the sink is high enough from the P/U trap, and far enough away from the bath tub. Not sure on current bath standards but it looks like you have 1" pipe and current standards (and sinks) may call for a larger pipe (what's called a tail pipe) diameter.

The drain pipe looks pretty fixed.

If the tile wall is coming down, you could cut the pipe and put in black plastic (ABS) plumbing to align the vanity but you don't have much to work with. I've even seen flexible pipe used though that's not recommended.

You might need a vanity without the lower shelf to give you more room.

• blondelle
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks! The new vanity would remain there. All the tile is coming off as well as the yellow tub. I just was afraid there wasn't enough clearance behind the drawer for that elbow. Had hoped to move it higher. There might be too much $$$ pipe surgery though. Best is to get two doors, or a drawer on top and two drawers on the bottom.
  • zneret
    5 years ago

I'd get a used vanity with sink/faucet and temporarily install it if you really need to have a vanity to use while the renos are being done. Otherwise just wait to replumb when the tile wall comes down. Those fixtures look pretty old.

• blondelle
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you! It's been this way for 58 years. Vanity before was 32" wide. Had wanted to put in a 24" vanity instead and center it but the plumbing for some reason is so far over to the right, I can't do that. Vanity before had drawers down the right side. So I should forget the vanity I chose I guess, and have doors towards the bottom where the plumbing is? Moving the plumbing over to the left is $$$?
  • zneret
    5 years ago

Plumbing shouldn't cost too much but depends on your plumber/handyperson. Fairly easy to do if the walls are out. Easier if you don't have to move across a joist.

• blondelle
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks guys! Is it possible to attach another pipe to the elbow there that goes about 18" to the left with a trap and then would go straight up to the sink. Would that work? Found another vanity with 2 doors with with a shelf that's notched out for the pipe to the sink.
  • blondelle
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    This is what the inside looks like.
  • zneret
    5 years ago

It is all possible but it depend on whether you want the pipe inside the wall or outside. Inside is a lot more work as you will have to cut through a stud (not recommended). Outside is of course unsightly.

• blondelle
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi! Thanks. The pipes shown should all be enclosed inside the vanity...no? I just wanted to add a piece going to the left and then up so it lines up with the slot in the shelf.
  • Elizabeth B
    5 years ago

How did a 31 inch vanity for centered on the plumbing? It must have been over a bit to the left? Are you replacing the tub? Id get a smaller one that doesnt bump out

• blondelle
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I'm not sure how the pipes were before as I don't live there. Definitely changing out the tub. There was a leak in that bath and the other vanity was old and rotted as well as under the old floor. Needed a new vanity and the floor was prepped for receiving tile for the reno. Wanted a better vanity that could be part of the coming reno. My contractor said he work with the one I ordered here but I'm so fed up with the company I ordered it from (will be posting about them soon) I canceled it. Going to find a better quality one.
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

Moving drain/vent lines on a gut job is usually not very expensive. Get the vanity you want, please.

• blondelle
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks! Can't the extra piece be added outside the wall though. The whole mess of pipes would be hidden within the vanity...no?
  • zneret
    5 years ago

The only piece you should ideally see for a single sink outside the wall is:

1) tail pipe coming down from the sink

2) U/P trap so one can clean out any blockages or retrieve dropped earrings, etc.

3) elbow and whatever pipe is required to go into the wall.

• blondelle
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    But what about the shut off valves? That whole mess of pipes I show in the photo above can be enclosed in the vanity - no?
  • zneret
    5 years ago

Shutoffs should just be poking out of the wall. Hot on left and cold on right of the the drain pipe. The lower shutoffs (w/o handles) should not be required.