Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Would you add a 2nd ottoman?

Sueb20
5 years ago

Here’s my living room which at the moment is showing that it’s actually lived in. We just got the square ottoman, which we all love. But it looks like it needs ... more. A second (identical) ottoman would fit easily right next to this one. But then is that too much bulk?

Other thoughts: instead of a second ottoman, add a regular wood coffee table that’s the same size. Or maybe a cool vintage trunk the same width/height? Or...something else interesting?

The ottoman is 34” square.

The round one, which is supposed to go in another room, is 18”, I think.

Comments (38)

• amykath
    5 years ago

I had the same problem... an ottoman, two couches and a bare spot in front of one of the sofas. I used a martini table. It get used a lot. Just an idea.

• Bonnie
    5 years ago

Aktillery has a different room, one where the furniture floats, and she has a pull up chair in the lower left of the pic. In a room where the furniture is against the walls, I don't think the ottoman as a coffee table is working and I think your instinct to add a coffee table with legs (not a trunk) will do the trick. Then add that second ottoman. Would you consider adding a chair at the lower right corner of the rug, or would that interfere with traffic flow? You have good taste so I know you will figure out what works best for your family. I think it is all coming together beautifully!

Sueb20 thanked Bonnie
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Bonnie, there actually is a chair there! Just can’t see it in the pic. The tv is also on the wall that isn’t visible in the pic.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ingrid, sorry, didn’t see your post at first. There is a simple leather club chair just out of the frame on the right. The space between that chair and the center of the room (ottoman space) is a traffic thoroughfare so I can’t really add more seating there.

Windows are being replaced soon, so no window treatments until that’s all done. They won’t be panels because there are radiators. Most likely will do roman shades. Oh, and there is red in the pillows on the leather sofa, and a reddish throw blanket on the blue sofa. Hard to see in the pic.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

I think the single, square ottoman looks right by itself. Not a fan of coffee tables; we don't take food or drinks outside of the kitchen so they aren't used, but we ALL like to put our feet up

Sueb20 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • jojoco
    5 years ago

Mark out the second ottoman in tape and then place two couch cushions there to mimic the ottoman so that you will have a general idea of the look. I think it might look heavy though.

Love the room!

Sueb20 thanked jojoco
  • just_terrilynn
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

To me it looks a bit bulky.

I think something rectangle, interesting and simple would look great.

I like this or something like this. You can but your feet on it if you like.

Then...I would go to EBay and look for a cool dog figurine to put on top of the coffee table.

Then, I would look at some YouTube vids on turning a non- matted picture with frame into a coffee table tray. You could do something very cool. Or, a frame with your own design glass mosaic.

This one might be bit too country but am showing because you are limited on wall art space. You could do usable art in a tray. You could also do a smaller tray to leave room for tootsies.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    The first thing i would do is pull both sofas away from walls. This will change the geometry of the space and the ottoman will work. If you can return this piece i would get even bigger ottoman so it would serve both sofas. A big tray in center with a few accessories would make for a polished look. I would not do a second ottoman. At least one sofa table would be nice so you could add more lighting. Bbl
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    A couple large ottomans.
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks...already have a total of 4 lamps in the room so we are good on lighting. I could be convinced to pull the blue sofa out from the wall and put a shallow sofa table behind it, though. I’ll see how it looks pulled out a bit tomorrow. This isn’t a large room so I don’t feel like I have a lot of space to “float” furniture.

I think that last ottoman is cool! But I want to keep the one I have.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    If you pull on sofa forward from left wall, you will be able to move ottoman forward as well. Post photos when you try it. Thx!
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

This is what happens when one uses two good sized sofas in a LR, instead of one reasonably sized and a pair of club chairs. The club chairs can each have an ottoman - many actually have a matching one as an option at purchase. The sofa needs a coffee table, not an ottoman.

• arcy_gw
    5 years ago

Why do you "all love it"? Are you putting your feet up to watch TV? The round ottoman is throwing me off--it needs to be put in its other room. I guess two identical side by side wouldn't be horrid but one larger centered would be my choice. Coffee tables are debate-able for me also. For most of my married life I did not have one. We had small rooms, toddlers and needed the floor space and didn't need another piece of furniture, in the walk way. DH made one for his mom then we inherited it when she died. It really is only for filling up space, another flat surface to decorate. I am not a fan of feet on tables but we do have recliners so we do like our feet up. Ottomans are an occasion for tripping IMHO. I would not pull your furniture away from the walls. What is the point of that..wasting walking room??? That is another fad that is WAAAAY out of hand. It makes sense in large, open concept spaces but not in a walled room like yours.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Showing another angle of the room. I did move the blue sofa out a bit; but I think just moving the round ottoman helped. Swapped it with a red one that I have tucked by the end table so DH can pull it out when needed (he often sits at the far end of the sofa).

• mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

You do such a nice job, Sue. It looks homey and comfy and yet stylish at the same time.

Does the ottoman come larger? I just measured mine and it is 45" square. I have an L, but I think it takes up the same visual space as your sofa/table config.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It doesn’t come larger...but I know bigger ones are out there! I could probably put this one in our den upstairs and get a bigger one here. Would have to handle the conversation with DH carefully as he thinks this one is awesome...but he’d probably think any ottoman was awesome...

• mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

I agree, I think every seat in the world needs an ottoman. Even my Adirondacks have ottomans!

• DLM2000-GW
    5 years ago

I'm paying close attention to this. We are totally feet up people and have a low bench with a cushion as our coffee/table/ottoman for our TV facing sofa but the other is nekked. At some point we'll be getting 2 new sofas (matching or not up for debate) and it would be nice if they were equally feet up friendly. Just not sure how to accomplish that in a balanced way without too much mass which is what you're struggling with. Mtn's sectional works in part because there's a corner sitting piece as opposed to your corner table and the whole element (sectional/ottoman) works with the scale of the room.

• User
    5 years ago

I agree with Mtn, Sue - you do the loveliest job of decorating! You truly have a knack for it. I like the square ottoman, but just think you need a larger one. This has started me thinking about our living room set-up, as we have a large round coffee table in front of our Chesterfield sofa and chair, but I find myself putting my feet up on it (and feeling guilty about doing so). A large ottoman would really work much better for the way we truly live in our space, and now I may be on the hunt for one too!

• Bonnie
    5 years ago

I think you have done a nice job with the new configuration. Having a view of the room from a different perspective is helpful. I may be the lone dissenter, but I think your current ottoman works well and a larger one may be too big for the space. As always your rooms are thoughtfully done.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

I am wondering why people would want coffee tables? It would seem to me that the only reason for a table would be to place a drink or food. Both for dietary reasons as well as protecting my spaces, we do not as a rule eat or drink outside of the kitchen. So I don't want furniture that facilitates that. And, or a rare occasion when I may want to have a cup of tea or something with me, I can use a tray on my ottoman. So I do not get why anyone would chose a table over an ottoman?

• just_terrilynn
    5 years ago

I sometimes like ottomans but usually find big ones bossy bulky attention grabbers in a room (unless they are very leggy). Saying that though, I have never had a coffee table that needed to be babied. My family could never do a fine wood heirloom quality coffee table because feet will occasionally go there.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Well, I just had a friend (who has similar quirky decor aesthetic) and we moved the coffee table over and I think it’s ok like this. It’s centered on DH’s sofa, since he’s the one who really cares about putting his feet up. My (blue) sofa essentially doesn’t have a coffee table/footrest but I don’t need one. If I do want one, I can roll over the cow stool that I moved back in and stashed in the corner.

Now I can go back to deciding what to put on that wall behind the green sofa...

• User
    5 years ago

Sue, where'd your ottoman come from? I really like it.

• just_terrilynn
    5 years ago

What is the measurement of that wall area? Maybe a painted panel?

http://www.karenbandy.com/paintings/abstract-mountain-landscape

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I meant to say earlier: thank you so much for the above compliments. :-)

Ida, it’s from Ballard Designs.

Justterri...it’s about 30x50-ish.

Someone recommended an antique mirror and I thought “nah” but I’ve thought about it a bit more and could try one. This one caught my eye.

Or really I’d prefer an old mirror that really doesn’t reflect much.

• just_terrilynn
    5 years ago

I like that!

ETA: Did you check CL? This is nifty for $20.

https://sarasota.craigslist.org/fuo/d/art-deco-wood-mirror-antique/6639692334.html

• mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

If you don't think youd like the reflection you could antique the mirror

• Bonnie
    5 years ago

Kudo's to you Mtn for containing eating and drinking to the kitchen. I just caught this in a couple of your posts. We are not as disciplined and use our tables for food and a drinks. Just now I was sitting in the sunroom sipping on iced tea and reading. The coffee table came in handy! Or is it a cocktail table? I found this funny: The Evolution of That Ubiquitous Piece of Furniture: The Coffee Table

• mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

Bonnie, my kids don't think so. And the cleaning lady has found a cereal bowl in a not-to-be-named child's bureau. So...we try!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Here is a tip on ottomans with same size sofas. Use square that leaves 18” from sofa edge to edge of ottoman. This provides everyone on sofas “foot up” spots and places for trays for setting drinks or books etc. you can stack boxes up in the space to figure out best size. A rectangle shape is not best for your configuration. Your room can easily handle this.
  • Bonnie
    5 years ago

Mtn. LOL!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Found this mirror upstairs and decided...I don’t think I actually want a mirror there.

I think I hear DH’s eyes rolling.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I know, my first instinct was round, too. I’ll find something...right now I’m thinking naked is fine!

• just_terrilynn
    5 years ago

Tricky! I'm not suggesting this color, did this with my finger on my cell. But, how about creating some symmetry in relation to the placement of green sofa on the wall? Maybe some sort of cool swag ceiling light?

Note: did this with finger so it's not exactly in the right place symmetrically. Center it from center of ottoman...off center of wall between windows.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996