Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aml2683

Exterior window wood lintel alternatives...Need help!

Ashley
5 years ago

We are building a house in South Louisiana and the plans call for wood lintels above the windows. It is a very tall two story house and we have been advised to remove the lintels on the second floor due to maintenance. Which got me thinking...is there an alternative product we can use on the second floor that looks like wood but won't need as much maintenance. I've seen wood alternatives such as cement board and tiles, but I am unsure if they can be incorporated into the brick exterior. Can anyone give their expertise on this.

Comments (31)

• User
    5 years ago

Fypon. And not just the second floor.

• PRO
    PPF.
    5 years ago

Do you have elevations or renderings you could show?

• Ashley
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Front elevation
  • PRO
    PPF.
    5 years ago

They are intended to be stained so it's obvious they are wood?

• Ashley
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes they will stained.
  • PRO
    Sombreuil
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago
  • User
    5 years ago

Wood is an inappropriate choice with a stucco exterior. Natural stone or the cast concrete that Casey suggested would be more appropriate, and easier maintenance.

• Ashley
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The majority of the house is painted brick. The stucco might be changed. We really want the wood to soften it.

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    5 years ago

If you're going to stain, maybe Cedar as it has natural tannins that resist rot. Copper flashing over the top if you don't think you'll paint often. Otherwise the concrete or masonry choices mentioned will hold up better.

• User
    5 years ago

Wood isn’t going to soften it unless you consider the rotten wood as softening anything. It’s an inappropriate design choice. Period. It isn’t a Tudor.

It would not bet be used in a traditional masonry house. The whole point of a masonry structure is the permanence of it combined with it’s low maintenance. Which is directly reversed and negated by the use of wood and painting over the brick. Rendering those choices wholly architecturally inappropriate. And foolish.

• Ashley
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    So you are telling me the whole modem farmhouse thing that is extremely popular right now is wrong?
  • cpartist
    5 years ago

Modern farmhouse is usually with board and batten or lap siding, not stucco.

• Ashley
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Agreed. The stucco will most likely be changed to board and batten along with some of the brick.

• Naf_Naf
    5 years ago

I hope you are using only one brick color (painted). I'd get rid of the stucco area.

Are you using the steel look windows? If so, you could have exposed steel lintels. In fact, you have a few options: Stone or concrete... or just brick (soldier, with concealed steel angle)

The top window above door, I do not see any special circumstances for the extra overhang same thing with the one next to the garage but maybe the window on the left of the door should get one as the circumstances are the same as the window on the right.

• Ashley
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you! That's kind if the look we were going for. These are my inspiration pics
  • Naf_Naf
    5 years ago

what about brick corbels at the garage bump out and the one on the right, to complement the French vibe? (similar to the ones shown on one of your last pics)

• PRO
    Sombreuil
    5 years ago

If it's just surface mounted and you will have rain screen, etc., then buy some 1" thick weathered barn boards and make "lintels" from that, no paint, keep the weathered color & texture, replace as needed when they degrade; since they will just be tacked on and not part of the actual weather envelope, nor embedded in masonry, it becomes simpler.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

"...So you are telling me the whole modem farmhouse thing that is extremely popular right now is wrong?..."

Yep. Pretty much. Especially the name--modern farmhouse--which is simply a contradiction in terms!

You've received good advice above. Almost any option, other than wood, is a durable, and relatively maintenance free option. Wood is not...especially in wet, humid and rainy environments.

Good luck on your project.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

One thing I learned in college (I can't remember the other thing) is "Honesty in Design". Typically when building was in its infancy, stronger materials supported weaker materials (a stone column supported large wood beams which supported wood roof rafters, etc.). This hierarchy of materials in building became commonplace, and structurally as well as visually acceptable. When contradictions in this hierarchy occur problems will happen at some point in time. Weaker support materials will fail over time and cause the building to fail. Some more recent architectural styles contradict the established hierarchy and have short lived structures or fake structural elements concealing real structural elements; many time creating a conscious or subconscious uneasiness in those that see or use the building.

In your case, to me, it does not look like those lintels are large enough or made of a proper material to support the weight of the bricks above over time.

Ashley thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • User
    5 years ago

Farmhouse Style=Fake Style.

And not even a convincing Fake, because it relies on decoration rather than design. Learn the difference.

The Decor Style is also fake, because you can tack that adjective into any type of building, and no one can argue that a Tudor Revival in a Kansas wheatfield is a “farmhouse” if farming is occurring. But, unless crops or livestock are outside the window, a Tudor Revival ain’t a farmhouse. It’s a Tudor Revival.

• Ashley
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you everyone for your advice. We have decided to change the lintels to a cast stone and keep the brick and stucco materials. I'm so glad I posted. I didn't realize that the exterior design was so visually unacceptable from an architectural stand point.

• Batgurl
    2 years ago

@Ashley I am in somewhat the same situation as you with your question about alternatives to wooden lintels for an all-brick home; could you please share photos of how yours came out?

• res2architect
    2 years ago

Its difficult to comment on the details of a wall cladding without knowing what the nature of the cladding system.

What is an "all brick" home? Is it a 4" nominal brick veneer cavity wall system that requires structural support at openings or is it a thin adhered brick system where the lintels would also be adhered?

Is the stucco a multi-coat cementitious system or is it an Exterior Insulation Finish System (EIFS) with a synthetic finish on foam board?

Collaborative exterior wall detailing requires material specifications and wall sections at openings.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

I do not know the story behind this structure in the Petrified Forest National Park, but I assume it is a prefabrication of a historic structure. I think the historic structure's structural elements, as aesthetically pleasing as they are, were based on techniques and materials available at the time it was originally built (much older than the beginning of this thread).

• Batgurl
    2 years ago

@res2architect We will be using Kentwood King size brick in San Juan. https://www.kentwoodbrick.com/king-bricks

So not the thin brick veneer. I'm having trouble figuring out the whole color scheme for the outside. Had to bite the bullet and order the garage door in gray (due to super long lead time). Roof and metal awnings over windows would be most likely something in medium gray. With so much gray going on wooden accents would help soften the look, but I do not want the maintenance that comes with wooden materials, so trying to find alternatives. Attaching pix of front and back elev. Thanks so much

• Batgurl
    2 years ago

• Batgurl
    2 years ago

• res2architect
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

For that brick system in that house the window and door lintels would be loose steel angles supplied by the bricklayer however the garage door opening is so wide the angle may need to be supported by the structural beam behind it which IMO needs to be a steel beam on steel posts to avoid the differential movement of brick and wood. The front door arch is self supporting and would not need a lintel.

Making a modern veneer brick cavity wall wall look like an old solid brick wall and avoiding cracking is not easy. Is the super structure wood, light steel or CMU?.

• Naf_Naf
    2 years ago

"The front door arch is self supporting"

@res2architect,

Not as shown on Batgurl drawing. It lacks the right detailing.

• res2architect
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I assume the drafter either didn't take the time or didn't know how to draw a curved soldier course in their 3D modeling software but it doesn't matter because the bricklayer isn't going to cut the brick to make an arch.