Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shirley_huberty

Granite counter tops for Oak cabinets

Shirley Huberty
5 years ago

Asking for my Sister.. She has a smaller kitchen with Oak cabinets and across her kitchen she has a brick wall. She took down all of her little items off the brick and wants to add a Huge clock. This clock was photo shopped in. She is still deciding on what clock to use. She likes this Granite for her counters. I photo shopped the granite under the cabinets. Her floors are a Pergo off white with fine grey veining. from a distance they look solid. Sorry no photo of the floor. Any suggestions?

Comments (40)

• Nothing Left to Say
    5 years ago

I agree. That’s too much pattern going on in one space. I’d go with a solid color—Quartz, corian, laminate. Backsplash needs to be plain too, imo.

Shirley Huberty thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

In this case, less is more.

Shirley Huberty thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    5 years ago

Much, much too busy all together. White Corian would be good or white quartz.

Shirley Huberty thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Dawn Y
    5 years ago
    Jmarie has great after pics of her kitchen with oak cabinets. She did a warm white quartz very simple no pattern and it looks fantastic. Hopefully she’ll come along and post a few of her pics for you. What your showing here is just way too busy. Good luck!!
    Shirley Huberty thanked Dawn Y
  • herbflavor
    5 years ago

a white with simple gray veining would work. For instance: you have the white and gray clock that looks good against the brick. Stay with lighter gray veins...and modest in feel.

Shirley Huberty thanked herbflavor
  • chloebud
    5 years ago

Sina said it best with "dizzy busy." Completely agree counters with little or no pattern would be much better.

Shirley Huberty thanked chloebud
  • njmomma
    5 years ago

white counters

Shirley Huberty thanked njmomma
  • jhmarie
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Thank you Dawn Y:) My counters actually do look busy close up, but when I step back, the colors blend together to a more subtle pattern. If your sister chooses to go with a granite or quartz with movement, it needs to fade to subtle when you step back. Oak cabinets have much more movement then painted cabinets. This is due to the grain and wood tone variations. Your sister has the added black decorative work which also increases movement, so she will need to be cautious of letting her surfaces get too busy. Oak kitchens also do best with very simple backsplash. The movement of the cabinets combined with the movement of a busy backsplash can be too much.

Your sister's cabinets are also a vintage style. I happen to like vintage and since my cabinets are also older, decide to go with that feel rather than fight it. I tried to blend the older with the new by using surfaces that evoke a more vintage / cottage feel when combined together. The quartz is not strictly a "marble look" quartz, but does have the feel. Marble was frequently used to top oak washstands and some hoosier cabinets of the past. Subway tile is new and old - beadboard was another thought I had, but decided on the tile. I used beadboard in the oak basement kitchenette. The sink is a Kohler "short apron" Whitehaven which can be installed on a standard sink base cabinet - usually. It was more than I had intended to spend, but I just put off my refresh and saved up. In my kitchen, it has a vintage feel of an older cast iron sink.

My kitchen:

[https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~110720042[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~110720042)

Counter close up - LG White Pearl:

[https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~120929245[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~120929245)

LG Soprano is also very pretty and the Corian Witch Hazel is another one.

Kjoy has a pretty counter with her oak cabinets but I can't remeber the name:(

It would be great to see more of your sister's kitchen. I don't know how this compares, but here is a granite in an older oak kitchen - really nice job:

[https://www.houzz.com/discussions/finally-finished-with-kitchen-updating-dsvw-vd~4512247[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/finally-finished-with-kitchen-updating-dsvw-vd~4512247)

Be sure that the older cabinets in your sister's home are worth the money for new stone countertops. If they are showing their age and wear, but new cabinets are not in the budget, consider a pretty laminate. I was walking through the home center store the other day and they had several attractive laminates displayed - a few I had to go up and touch to see they were not stone. You can order a laminate without the 4" splash and do a tile backsplash.

Shirley Huberty thanked jhmarie
  • mark_rachel
    5 years ago

I agree with above, less is more. I would go with a very light quartz that reads solid. I'm not a fan of Corian, but I know some people love it. The color would look good, but I hate the feel.

Shirley Huberty thanked mark_rachel
  • chloebud
    5 years ago

Does she have plans to update the hardware?

• Shannon_WI
    5 years ago

Must she do the big clock? It's such an affected thing, and kinda dated, like putting the giant fork and knife on the wall in a kitchen.

Shirley Huberty thanked Shannon_WI
  • PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    5 years ago

To put granite on cabinets that are at least 40 years old is dumb. When you (or a new buyer) decide to remodel, you'll be wasting thousands of dollars of granite. It will look like lipstick on a pig.

• Shirley Huberty
    Original Author
    5 years ago

thanks jhmarie! I always value your advice! You have helped me decide on my counter tops too! I was going to go with a busy granite but now have narrowed it down to quartz or a very subdued granite due to my very busy Oak cabinets. I loved the link you posted of Granite in an older Oak cabinet kitchen. As far as somewhere saying it will look like lipstick on a pig " I would have to disagree! You don't have to do a full Remodel to have your kitchen updated. Like you said " blend a little old with the new as long as the cabinets are solid and have a nice finish! BTW your kitchen is beautiful, cozy, and welcoming looking!

• Shirley Huberty
    Original Author
    5 years ago

chloebud what would you suggest on hardware? she was thinking about replacing? I was thinking possibly a black stainless metal

• Shirley Huberty
    Original Author
    5 years ago

shannon what would you recommend putting on the brick wall?

• Shirley Huberty
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone for all your comments! I have to agree with less is better for her kitchen too! I will pass along and see what she decides!

• PRO
    Filipe Custom Woodwork
    5 years ago

I agree with the posters. You can do the whites with brown or gold veining. If that is all that is in the budget and you want to upgrade then there is no problem in giving the old girl a new dress.

Shirley Huberty thanked Filipe Custom Woodwork
  • Shirley Huberty
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Filipe Custom Woodwork I like your "giving the old girl a new dress". That made me laugh!

• PRO
    Betty Wasserman Art & Interiors
    5 years ago

We agree with the above comments. There is a lot going on with the brick, cabinets, and adding in that granite would be a lot more. Try something like a solid corian. Maybe in white?

Designer’s Cottage: Kitchen · More Info

Shirley Huberty thanked Betty Wasserman Art & Interiors
  • chloebud
    5 years ago

Shirley, regarding the hardware, what color are her appliances?

• redsilver
    5 years ago

Wonder if the matte finish in black soapstone, wouldn't make her cabinets look better. The more white and gray you put with them the more they will show their age? I would steer away from white majority surfaces and there is no reason for gray with that wood stain, creams, golds, greens, maybe some navy blue, or some pale orange/sherbert type colors? I don't think she will like her cabinets with alot of white near them. . Her hardware is in good shape. She could spraypaint it to a tone that is lighter, but why? With a black soapstone counter it will look very nice. It works. It's not damaged, it is not out of place at this time. An almond color Corian might be very pretty with the wood also? Here you see the colors almond and black...Just a thought to consider.. and with the gray floor, a warmer color counter, also....you may find many many more ideas come here to consider if you need more ideas..

Shirley Huberty thanked redsilver
  • Shirley Huberty
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Redsilver I think a black matte would be very pretty! ! I also think her hardware looks very nice especially should she go with black counter top. I might even consider a soapstone for my counters. I really do not know anybody that has them. I read something that they scratch more than granite but is more stain resistant....

• Shirley Huberty
    Original Author
    5 years ago

chloebud she just got brand new stainless steel appliances

• lindastein
    5 years ago

following

• redsilver
    5 years ago

Do some research on it and see if it would work for her. It always looks so nice in the photos and the matte finish seems perfect for 'not new' wood work? If not that, check into other finishes that are dark in other materials. Did someone not speak of a matte black counter in either granite or other solid surface which is the lowest price of that line of material, with very little veining or motion in it, if any.https://www.google.com/search?q=matte+black+countertop+material&client=firefox-b-1-ab&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjM47GxtfDcAhUDOa0KHY9VCeAQsxgIKw&biw=1280&bih=584 Oh btw....see the Pegasus in this link? Wow...Special. May have to look at that.... LOL

Shirley Huberty thanked redsilver
  • Fori
    5 years ago

I actually like that granite with those cabinets (and I also like the vintage style of the cabinets). But the brick wall fights too much. I don't suppose she'd be willing to paint the brick? (Did I really type that??)

Shirley Huberty thanked Fori
  • rantontoo
    5 years ago

Is it a “real” brick wall or an applied “brick-look” wall? If the applied kind, would she consider eliminating the applied brick and some drywall/paint repair to get a countertop with movement that she seems to like “work” with the oak?

Shirley Huberty thanked rantontoo
  • Shirley Huberty
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Rantontoo and Fori it is an applied brick and I did suggest possibly painted it.. Not sure what she will do but as of know it is staying the way it is

• chloebud
    5 years ago

Shirley, glad to hear she got stainless steel appliances. She might look at hardware with a brushed nickel finish...nice with ss appliances.

• salonva
    5 years ago

I agree with Fori-- I think the granite is very nice with the oak; I don't think it's too busy. The brick is too busy and possibly too dark....

Shirley Huberty thanked salonva
  • chloebud
    5 years ago

Shirley, our kitchen has oak cabinets. I'm not thrilled with them but my husband is against painting them since they're in such good condition. When we bought our house the cabinets all had white porcelain knobs/pulls. Fortunately the appliances were stainless steel. I changed all the hardware to brushed nickel, and the change was significant.

• tira_misu
    5 years ago
    We have quartz counter top with brick and oak cabinets and it works (according to my tastes).
  • Shirley Huberty
    Original Author
    5 years ago

tia I love your quartz counter tops with the brick! Lovely! What quartz is that?

• Shirley Huberty
    Original Author
    5 years ago

chloebud I would love to see your new hardware on your oak cabinets

• tira_misu
    5 years ago
    Sherley, I'm pretty sure it's Cashmere Carrata but it's been 2 years now since we remodeled and I could be wrong.
    Shirley Huberty thanked tira_misu
  • Shirley Huberty
    Original Author
    5 years ago

My Sister went with the Persian Granite which is the one she originally wanted and she Loves them. I think they look beautiful too! She also had a granite counter top put on her little side table by the brick wall to tie everything in!

• mzloolue
    5 years ago

What are the floors?

• jhmarie
    5 years ago

Thank you for posting the finished kitchen. I was not sure how the older cabinets would look with the granite - it is very pretty - looks like it fits. Sometimes something bright and shiny can make something older look shabby - but not here - very nice!

Shirley Huberty thanked jhmarie
  • Shirley Huberty
    Original Author
    5 years ago

mzloolue The floors are pergo which they purchased well over 10 years ago. They are a very very light cream with very fine grey veining throughout. From a distance they almost look solid.