Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojoco_gw

Angel Gowns and wedding dresses

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I've been trying to figure out what to do with my wedding gown from my first marriage. I am moving next week and there is no reason for me to take it with me. So I've looked to the web for inspiration. Through my research, I discovered there are organizations that recycle wedding gowns into tiny burial gowns for newborns. Hospitals are aware of these organizations and reach out to the parents when there is a need. It is the last thing a parent needs to think about at that time. The gowns, which are donated to the grieving families, are known as "Angel Gowns."

Tomorrow I will be cutting out the crinoline of my 1987 peu de soie dress (per their instructions) and getting it ready to be mailed. It really is a beautiful vintage dress but I am heartened to know that it will make several angel gowns.

Angel Gowns (similar to the chapter where I'm sending my dress)

my dress:

80's much? Lol.

Comments (30)

• 5 years ago

What a thoughtful, beautiful ending for a wedding dress! I believe that my great niece was buried in an angel gown. She was only one day old when she passed. Thank you for letting others know about this group.

• 5 years ago

Such a good thing to do. Send it off to bring a bit of comfort to a heartbroken family.

Nrxt week? You’re moving next week? Where did the summer go. So excited to have you in the ‘hood. Well, almost in the ‘ hood.

• 5 years ago

I have heard of this and I think it such a heartfelt way to repurpose your wedding gown.

• 5 years ago

I've never heard of this and it's so amazing that anyone even dreamed this up as a wonderful way to use wedding dresses and provide comfort to grieving families. Thanks for doing it and sharing the information here.

• 5 years ago

That is such a lovely thing. The video was absolutely touching. Thank you for posting this.

• 5 years ago

That is lovely.

• 5 years ago

Thank you for sharing this lovely information. Very touching.

• 5 years ago

Thanks for sharing. Circle of life...

• 5 years ago

I’ve been planning to send mine for quite a while. Your post really reminded me it’s time to do it. My wedding dress was also my mother’s. It has a really long satin train and will make many gowns. I can’t think of a better use.

• 5 years ago

I've never heard of this. I've often thought of what I should do with my wedding dress which is stored under my bed and this idea is something to seriously consider. Thanks jojo.

• 5 years ago

Jojo, apparently they aren’t taking anymore dress donations. Can you share where yours is going. I don’t mind if it’s out of state as long as it can be used.

• 5 years ago

Mine will become Baptismal gowns. Three one for each family.

• 5 years ago

How lovely. I had not heard of this either so thank you so much for sharing. And I love your vintage wedding dress!

• 5 years ago

There are often local groups that accept wedding dresses to use in making angel dresses. Try Googling to see if there is an organization close to you. At work, I deal with patients using these gowns and we they are very much appreciated. Some of the gowns are just amazing in detail.

• 5 years ago

What a wonderful idea!

• 5 years ago

I had heard of this a while back. Jo, I am so happy you found one of these organizations to donate your gown for such a wonderful cause.

• 5 years ago

I've never heard of this. It's a wonderful idea. Thank you for sharing.

ETA - I just went to the FAQ part because I was thinking of sending mine and it says they're not accepting donations at this time. Maybe they have too many. ?

• 5 years ago

Shee and anyone else who might want to donate a wedding dress: I used that link because it gave the best exclamation of the project. One chapter that is still accepting donations is “angel gowns of the capital region, New York” You can find them on Facebook. They will happily accept wedding dresses, gift cards to craft stores…. Message me if you need an address (for those of you not on Facebook).

• 5 years ago

Hmmmm. I can’t figure out how to message you for the address. Can you walk me through it please? I feel so dumb.

• 5 years ago

Natesg, are you on FB? If so, search”angel gowns-capital region, ny”. They are also on Messenger under the same name. I am not sure if I have messaging set up on this site. I will check on my laptop versus my phone.

• 5 years ago

What an amazing idea. I've just contacted a group in my area. I've still got my gown from 36 years ago-my mother made it for me and I just haven't been able to throw it out. My girls didn't want it, and it's too dated (1982!) to be donated for someone to want to wear it. But I'm sure the satin, lace and organza would be welcome for such a project.

• 5 years ago

Natesg, I've tried changing my settings so that I can now receive messages. If I did it correctly, click on my name, and then click on "activity". I think that will prompt a message box. If not, let me know and I'll just post the information here.

• 5 years ago

Jo, I can now get to activity but don’t see a message box.

• 5 years ago

Thank Jojoco! I did find some for my area.

• 5 years ago

natesg, here is the message they sent me. I think it’s a generic one they send everyone:

“Hi! We would gratefully accept your donations. You can drop or mail to....

"Angel Gowns-Capital Region, NY"

c/o Latham Ford-Attn: Tom S.

637 Columbia St. Ext.

Latham, NY 12110

We ask that you remove the dresses from any packaging/preservation boxes, etc. and also remove any crinoline linings.

If you would like to help our group with processing your gown, we could really use pre-paid Visa cards to use for shipping. (They can be ordered through our Amazon wish list link). Our ladies all buy their own ribbons, threads, buttons and supplies unless I can get them donated, so another option would be a small denomination gift card to Joanns or Walmart, if you are so inclined. The Amazon link is at the top of our Facebook page and that shows some supplies we are in immediate need of and if you choose, you can donate through that link. We cannot accept checks. Again, this is just an option and you are not under any obligation. (If you need an acknowledgement of us receiving your donation, please include a self-addressed-stamped envelope and we would be happy to send you one).

Thank You again for your generous donation. Please "like" our public Facebook page...."Angel Gowns-Capital Region, NY" and you will see the lovely work that our team members have done. One day, your angel gowns will appear. Our local team is blessed with all unpaid volunteers who have found this their "calling" and we consider this our special ministry for the families who are so deserving at this sad time in their lives. Be well and know that you will touch many hearts with your kindness.

God Bless You!”

Hope this helps.

JO

• 5 years ago

Thank you so much Jojoco. I’m even more determined to do this. Anxious to see my dress out of the box after 46 years and see it go for such a deserving charity.

• 5 years ago

Thank you for posting this. I had never heard of this, but I need to do something with my dress. This is a perfect solution. I think I just found a very active chapter nearby, so I'll be even happier to donate to the local area if they are accepting.

• 5 years ago

I must say I’m getting emotional thinking about how many angels will be getting gowns from all the donated dresses. My dress has a long satin train and should make several. I have the wonderful memories of walking with my dad.

• 5 years ago

These gowns are quite lovely. Maybe when I get tired of making blankets for project linus, I can look into making these. I took a pic of some someone made off of pinterest. They are really quite sweet.