Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joealvord

Good bye, August! Too hot and smokey.

I'm looking forward to September. My stucco well Tea garden is starting new growth after a restful summer. The second wood fence Tea garden kept blooming because it was cooler there, but the roses are in their first year in the ground and far from mature. I can't wait until next Spring. I now put 5 Teas in a strip along a retaining wall, and in the front fountain area I put 3. I guess I'm going a little bit crazy. It's probably Ingrid's fault.

Comments (16)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Now pictures.

Niles Cochet planted in May 2018 from RosePetals
    SdlM here.
    SdlM is small here. He likes Ingrid's climate better.
    General Gallieni is actually turning into a bush at one year.
    Triomphe du Luxembourg in ground 3 months.
    Comtesse Emmeline de Guigne is healthy but small at one year.
    La France is as large as many of the Teas at age one.
    William R. Smith is a beautiful rose.
    Le Vesuve is a treasure starting to bloom again.
    Baronne Henriette de Snoy is a pretty bush so far.

• Alana8aSC
    5 years ago

You can tell the Tea Rose's love you!! And your conditions. They inch along for me here, and most dont live through our winters. Well not the winter, but our horrible freeze, warm, freeze , hot, freeze, wacky weather spring :) they look so beautiful!!

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Alana8aSC
  • monarda_gw
    5 years ago

Thank you for these wonderful pictures! Good bye to August, I agree.

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked monarda_gw
  • daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    5 years ago

Your roses are coming on in leaps and bounds. They are very happy.

I agree, yes it is all Ingrid's fault!

Daisy

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

Well Sept is off to a beautiful start

Roses are so happy and yours look so gorgeous.

Well done Sheila!

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

My goodness those roses look happy! Baronne Henriette de Snoy is one I’m always drawn to. (I think I also like saying the name, “Baronne Henriette de Snoy”.) It sounds so regal......

Sheila, your SDLM looks better than mine, already. Mine has never taken off. I’m hoping that the big trim the olive tree got will help. My SDLM was getting shaded out. Ingrids were so beautiful when I saw them that I didn’t even recognize them as the same rose! If the new sunny conditions don’t help, I’ll consider it a dud plant.

I’m SO glad August is behind us, too! I’m telling myself that I just need to get through September, and then things will be better. Thanks for the great pictures! Lisa

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Lisa Adams
  • User
    5 years ago

Roses seem to grow effortlessly for you Sheila... after seeing your 'La France' I'm thinking of getting that one... in fact I've just put it into my 'basket'... sort of, on hold...

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked User
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

Sheila, since these gorgeous roses are the result, I will gladly take all the blame. I'm continually amazed at how quickly and beautifully roses grow for you! My La France at 9 months is a small little thing, perhaps a third the size of yours, and I'm still disbudding it to coax it to grow. I can understand your SdlM being small since it's expending all its energy in putting out those giant blooms. Every one of your roses is wonderful, even at such an early stage.

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    5 years ago

Awesome photos! :-)

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you all for your kind remarks. I do find these Tea roses fascinating. Alana, with us both in z 8a, I do not understand why mine have made it this far. I remember being worried it would be too rough for them here. We also have the Spring freeze thaw problem and it did kill Jesse Hildreth # 1 & 2, but #3 is doing fine. Arcadia Louisiana Tea band #1 died with wet Spring weather in a pot, but I got a second one a week ago and I am really hopeful. I bet if you just got them past that annoying baby phase, they would do well.

John, your GG is such an inspiration! Mine is surprising me already with how interesting it looks. It sat there last year, but this year has really taken hold. Comtesse Festectics Hamilton, OTOH is a lot slower as is Comtesse Emmeline de Guigne. Emmeline is bred from Papa Gontier (a fast grower) and Festectics (slower), so I guess she didn't take after Papa. I pinched buds on Emmeline this Summer but she is still short.

Lisa, you'd love BHdS. The Tea ladies say the bush is a beast, but I think it looks really attractive so far. Maybe it looks rougher older. Well, don't we all? My SdlM is so different from Ingrid's but the blooms are gorgeous. Maybe in time it can take hold. It might be a bit too cold here.

Ingrid, yes you deserve all the blame, and it has given me so much joy. These Teas are so mysterious. They look different every day. They sit there, then they shoot up. I have more that eventually can warrant a photo if they do something. We'll see, Ingrid, how La France feels with the Teas over time size wise. Knowing me, I'll just leave it there if it seems happy even if the sizes are disparate. It is a treasure.

I wish Jeri would say why she she got rid of Emmeline, and I wish Carol would report on Comtesse de Leusse. Again, happy Fall.

• Krista_5NY
    5 years ago

I hope the smoke clears out soon, so many fires this year...

It's interesting for me to see the Teas as they cannot be grown here but in small numbers... nice combinations of perennials and roses.

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Krista_5NY
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Sheila, as a resident of a neighboring state, I can agree with you on welcoming the cooler temperatures. Just as nice were the stiff breezes that blew out the smoke. Our famous bright blue skies are back again......But, your roses have made wonderful growth in a short time, and their blooms are such beauties. My favorite is Niles Cochet, I think, because of his envy producing color, which trumps everything for me. Your are too modest about your rose gardening skills. And gardening skills. And design skills. Diane

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Diane. I am trying to do what I can, never having seen mature plants of what I order. What with mislabeling and all the vagaries of gardening maybe it won't make much difference. You never really know what a plant will do, do you? I do know I am doing a more naturalistic type of gardening than some favor. My mow and blow skills are poor. I really want the roses to get old and craggy and look like they have been there forever. I am going to Ninfa in Italy in May and that will be an eyeopener. I need to go to the Sacramento Cemetery garden so I can see what goes on where people really know what they are doing. I am doing it backassward by doing first and learning later.

• totoro z7b Md
    5 years ago

Gorgeous. Your SdlM is making me wistful.

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked totoro z7b Md
  • maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
    5 years ago

Oh Sheila - Ninfa. I'm so jealous. Can't remember where i saw pictures but they made a huge impression on me. That will be a wonderful trip. I'll look forward to hearing about it and maybe some pictures?

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10