Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darylfcf

Andersen vs Windsor vs Pella For new modern farmhouse

darylfcf
5 years ago

Well getting starting to get all of my price quotes on building a modern farm house. Original builder of the home used Anderson e-series black windows. This home has a ton of them as you can see. roughly 60 including the porch doors. I have priced out andersen($92k) for all of them not installed and thought that was crazy high.

Im thinking i can get windsor or pella for a much lower price? thoughts

Comments (17)

• dan1888
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I'm a fan of fiberglass windows like Marvin Integrity. I might consider another frame color and simplify some of those from 3 individuals into one, etc. Making some fixed cuts price also. The design statement, for me, would fit the house better with the simplification.

• darylfcf
    Original Author
    5 years ago

i appreciate all the help, this is all new to me. im slowly learning!

• millworkman
    5 years ago

"Im thinking i can get windsor or pella for a much lower price? thoughts"

Neither are considered a desirable window by any pro's that I am aware of.

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    5 years ago

Never, never, never Pella. Windsor isn’t any better. It’s common to see the window and door package be around 10% of the overall price to build the house, and if the house has lots of large and/or tempered glass, it could be more.

• darylfcf
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for the input. I am curious @millworkman which would be considered a desirable window by a pro? any brands that you would recommend. Im located in eastern Tennessee and from the few builders I have spoken with they all suggested in the 50-70k range for a window door package. Also on the estimates I have received a quote of 92k is hitting the 12-15% mark of total

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

You're not talking about typical builder-grade windows. Anytime you deviate from that, the cost goes up quickly.

• BT
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Say NO to Pella, windsor is ok, 60 windows like Anderson 100 [builder grade]-- should be under 15k (most fixed) a little bit more for dark. You will never ever recover 92k, reduce casements as they crazy priced. Switch most to fixed. But again your white seem roof could be a pretty penny.

• millworkman
    5 years ago

Marvin Integrity in a fiberglass. Okna or Softlite in a vinyl I believe come in black

• darylfcf
    Original Author
    5 years ago

okay update:

andersen has now come down to 72k, pella prline 450 series quote has come back at 63k, still waiting on windsor, sierra pacific, marvin quotes to come back.

• millworkman
    5 years ago

Again, anything Pella, Windosor or SP would be an automatic starter in my book and in any pro I am familiar with........................

• ILoveRed
    5 years ago

A house this beautiful deserves good windows. Is 20k difference really going to make that much difference on the price of this $$$ house?

windows are not an item you want to cheap out on.

will you share the plan?

• PRO
    Simply Great Windows, LLC
    5 years ago

Pella 450 isn’t really a direct comp to the Andersen E-Series. The E-Series has an extruded aluminum clad exterior, which is superior to the roll form cladding on the Pella 450. If you want comparable specs, you’ll need to look at the Pella Architect Reserve (I think 850 Reserve). The Pella hate is overstated, though understandable given the cladding issues they’ve had with previous generations of windows. Pella casements operate well, and the recently offered lifetime warranty on wood components is compelling. Still, I’d have a hard time not taking a hard look at Marvin Integrity. I think they’ll be competitive on the pricing, and I think the fiberglass exterior is the better direction to go when you’re considering a black exterior.

• darylfcf
    Original Author
    5 years ago

thank you everyone for the help. quick update

Andersen reduced to 70k even

pella 450 still at 63k

Windsor alum/wood has come in at 52k

still waiting on quotes for the following

sierra pacific

Marvin

Marvin integrity

• jkliveng
    5 years ago

darylfcf, please keep updating us.

• HU-708315135
    3 years ago

Windsor for the money !! Anderson over priced !!!!

• Tim W
    3 years ago

Which window did you end up going with? Did you get a Sierra Pacific quote?