Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pippacovalent

Well what a great surprise

pippacovalent
5 years ago

I am new to roses and bought a house with a lot of them, and today found this lovely surprise...I'll add photo in comments. I didn't realize the cool weather would bring on more blooms, this is exciting.

Comments (19)

• pippacovalent
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• pippacovalent
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It doesn't really have a scent and I have no clue the name, but it's so pretty! The new foliage on the plants is a lovely burgandy color which was really pretty with the light pink and white rose.

• pippacovalent
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have no clue what the name is, it came with my house. I had not noticed any buds and was shocked to walk by it today and spot this beautiful rose.

• Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area)
    5 years ago

Pippa, you may also find that the color of some of your roses (especially lighter pinks / near whites) may change color from hot to cold weather. I have quite a few that are near white in the summer heat, but turn either apricot or pink in the colder weather.

That bloom is beautiful. Wishing many more surprises for you.

pippacovalent thanked Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area)
  • BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    5 years ago

A very nice bloom. My guess would be Pristine , which is also known for its burgundy foliage

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.2264

pippacovalent thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

At first I thought that it might be Diana Princess of Wales but I believe that one has a really strong fragrence

pippacovalent thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • seil zone 6b MI
    5 years ago

It's lovely no matter what it is. My suggestion is to dig carefully around the base for a small metal tag. Alot of roses came with tags earlier and that got buried over time.

pippacovalent thanked seil zone 6b MI
  • pippacovalent
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Thanks I'll look around for a tag. These roses are definitely old, as they have trunks several inches in diameter. The woman I bought the house from was elderly and hadn't gardened for many years from what I understand. I have inherited about 10 roses though from in the yard and so far they are all quite pretty when they bloom.

• pippacovalent
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I would say it has no to maybe a mild fragrance Kristine, which is a shame because fragrance is important to me in the roses I purchase, but as long as the blooms are as pretty as this one I'm certainly not removing any of the previous owner's roses. I'll have to take photos of the entire plant. The foliage was green and then it has new leaves all over now that are burgundy which I had noticed, but I didn't realize there were buds too. I can't imagine a better surprise than when I spotted that gorgeous bloom hidden at the back. It's fun getting to know more about the roses that came with my yard.

• pippacovalent
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ben it may be that one I'll have to look at photos and compare.

• pippacovalent
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• pippacovalent
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here are pics of the bush and buds

• pippacovalent
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• pippacovalent
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I hope more buds do open I just love the blooms.

it's not lasting long cut but I rarely cut them anyway.

• pippacovalent
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It really does seem to look like Pristine.

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    5 years ago

Pristine is famous for dropping its petals fast, too.

pippacovalent thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • pippacovalent
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Ben. Although not necessary, it's nice when I can ID some of the roses I inherited so I can get an idea of their usual height etc so I will know how to prune. I really think it may be the one...some photos of Pristine look just like it to me and the descriptions of it sound right.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

Pipa, that is so great that you are keeping all the prior owners roses and trying to learn about them. I'm sure she would be thrilled to know that.

pippacovalent thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley