Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allison_walkerruff

Roof help! I hate our “pork chops...”

We are building our forever house, and each time I go to the site, I hate the eave returns (or whatever you call them) more and more. Is there a way to fix this (or at least help) without having to redo wasn’t what was originally on the plan. I included pics of the house and what was on the original plan for reference to what I actually wanted (builder and husband decided to change because the builder said it was much cheaper).

Comments (26)

• Allison Walker Ruff
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Not that it will help, but there is one section of crown moulding going between the soffit and fascia that hasn’t been added yet.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

You did get what was drawn but it's not finished yet. I don't think there is anyway to make this change without a huge change order $$$.

I can't believe this bothers you and not the dormers that don't seem to be centered between the various height gables.

• Allison Walker Ruff
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The dormers are centered - it must just be the angle I took the pic from. It is the panoramic iPhone setting, which can make things kind of wonky. And the “box ends” are finished. It was a complete elimination of an entire section of molding and not doing an actual eave return. Apparently saving thousands of dollars. Budgets aren’t my thing. I really wasn’t looking for critical comments about the house I have put my heart and soul into. Constructive advice is happily accepted, though.
  • Allison Walker Ruff
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    My comment about the molding was wrong - the molding that hasn’t been added is going between the frieze board and the soffit. All the names get confusing to me.
  • leelanau9206
    5 years ago

They would have to destroy everything to reframe. Not worth it. The last picture is your drip edge. It’s necessary. It looks like it’s white and your trim is cream? You could have your painter paint it but I don’t think you’ll notice when it’s all complete. You have a beautiful home, try not to hyper focus on every little detail. I don’t believe you will notice when it’s finished. Your husband made the decision-trust him. Building a home can be a real stressor to a marriage, instead try to think of all the memories your home will soon hold and not your “pork chops”. It’s going to be gorgeous!

Allison Walker Ruff thanked leelanau9206
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

" . . . the builder said it was much cheaper"

Was he talking about the price or was he talking about the appearance?

• Amy Gonzalez
    5 years ago
    Ate you going to add gutters? if you do then it will be covered up.
    Allison Walker Ruff thanked Amy Gonzalez
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    5 years ago
    The whole fascia detail was flattened. The used the ‘pork chop’ instead of the eave return as drawn, then they skipped crown. I bet it did save thousands of dollars but it does affect aesthetics.
  • Allison Walker Ruff
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hallet & Co- yes, that’s exactly what happened. Do you think there is a way to fix this??
  • Allison Walker Ruff
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    And I’m sorry I forgot a “t” on Hallett - I couldn’t figure out a way to edit my comment :)
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

It appears you have a very large house with a complex fascia, which appears to be completely installed. How much time and money do you want to spend?

Allison Walker Ruff thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • Allison Walker Ruff
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Amy, yes, we are adding gutters, but I’m not sure what these will look like yet.
  • Allison Walker Ruff
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Virgil - I really don’t want to slow down any other part of the building process. Money wise - $10,000? I don’t know - I really don’t like these things! But I have no clue how they could be fixed.
  • littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    5 years ago

Well, I’ve never had a house built, but I would think these all-purpose mantras would apply:

Don’t sweat the small stuff.

Pick your battles wisely.

Allison Walker Ruff thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • worthy
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

This was a design vs. budget decision that was consciously made.

More pleasing but still budget-friendly alternatives to traditional returns were possible.

But at this point with at least nine gables to correct, is it really
    worth it? Partial demolition, carpentry, aluminum, wiring, shingling.
    (If you don't redo all the shingling, the new ones may stand out as they
    will be from a different run.)

Since pork-chop returns are virtually standard in production housing, virtually no one
    will notice.

Allison Walker Ruff thanked worthy
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    5 years ago

/\/\/\ Unfortunately worthy is correct- fixing it now will cost a fortune because you are so far along. While it could have looked much better since your husband approved it I don't know if it's worth the expense and marital discord. The way they installed it is how it is typically done, your architect just had a much nicer detail.

Regarding the missing T I own halletco.com too because it gets spelled wrong so often!

• Allison Walker Ruff
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Do you think there is a way to add molding or something so it doesn’t look as bad? I was hoping you could just cut the corners off. Haha!
  • Allison Walker Ruff
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Also, Hallett & Co - I looked through your projects - they are all so beautiful! I love historic architecture, and I wanted this house to be as traditional as possible (although it seems everything historical is super expensive). We had a wonderful architect, searched high and low for the perfect reclaimed brick ... and I feel the eave returns ruin everything else. That’s one reasons why these “porkchops” are so disappointing to me.
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    5 years ago

Unfortunately adding crown means replacing the roof shingles and some of the roof sheathing (the crown makes the roof project further...) $$$$

Allison Walker Ruff thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • beesneeds
    5 years ago

Maybe pick out some gingerbread detailing that will go well with your trim and siding? A detailing on the pork chops could be attractive and make them look more purposeful in a good way.

Allison Walker Ruff thanked beesneeds
  • suser123
    5 years ago

That looks like a pricey house. Having the eaves done as it shows in your drawings would look much better. Why did the builder think they had the right to not go according to the drawings? IF you got the money I would fix it. Its your forever house. If you are like me those shortcuts the builder did without permission will irritate you every time you drive up to your house. If it won't bother you then save your money and make sure he does not skip any more corners.

Allison Walker Ruff thanked suser123
  • Molly D. Zone4B
    5 years ago

Suser- The OP said her husband and builder agreed to the change as a cost savings

Allison Walker Ruff thanked Molly D. Zone4B
  • suser123
    5 years ago

Was just looking at your picture. It also looks like the corner is flat material and lighter. The trim by it looks embossed and different color?

Allison Walker Ruff thanked suser123
  • suser123
    5 years ago

Molly - I missed that! Thanks.

• Allison Walker Ruff
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Suser - yes, everything will be painted. But good point about the different textures - I will bring that up to the builder as well.

Bees needs - that is a good idea. I will see what our trim guy has to offer in terms of that. Thanks!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths