Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Best Melon, Peach or Apricot Daylilies of 2018

shive
5 years ago

Post your best melon, peach or apricot daylilies here.

My best is this category is Coastal Grand, registered as an orange sherbet but looks more peach here.

Ethel Buccola

Dance Again

Runner Up

Miss Demeanor

Debra

Comments (30)

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    5 years ago

For me, Pizza Crust, Real Wind and oldie Wide, Wide World.

Its hard for me to capture the great color on Real Wind
    one more
    Sherry

• mantis__oh
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Another beautiful face of Ethel Buccola, on a day with more pinkish color (a cooler day). Coloration in Debra's pic is more typical.

Seventy Times Seven bloomed a long time in lovely shades, sometimes a bit darker than this. Vigorous.

Get R Done. Registered as peachy pink, it deserves placement somewhere. Not heavily budded, but definitely a presence.

Jessica Lynn Bell was very good, after overwintering the first time. But the past winter, with little freeze/thaw, may have been favorable to some evergreens.

Mai Tai looked promising.

The old Marie Hooper Memorial, a welcome sight in the early garden, deserves mention. Large bloom. (Registered as "melon pink.")

Seemingly out of nowhere appeared Something Wonderful, in a year in which many evergreens made a re-appearance. Registered as cream pink; looked quite peachy to me.

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    5 years ago

I lost the last post--will try again.

Forestlake Becky bloomed its fool head off this summer.

Forestlake Laura Lee Harding always does well for us.

Cave Lion is a big vigorous plant.

I'll put the rest in the next comment.

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    5 years ago

Here are my runners up.

Etosha has been in the garden since the beginning. It's a solid performer.

I would be remiss not to include Forestlake Ragamuffin. It's in the parentage of many toothy daylilies.

That's all for me.

Nancy

• samhain10 - 5a
    5 years ago

Nancy - it duplicated, even though it looked like it didn't make it. Stunning colors, BTW - times two - LOL! Hadn't realized I liked this color so much - these are all beautiful. Not sure if either of these really fit in this category:

Fiji

and because I didn't put it with the pinks and I thought it was more peachy - Sweet Tart:

Alex

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    5 years ago

I've been looking for a certain shade of melon/peach/apricot for years now. One of those colors that I can't exactly pinpoint but I'll know it when I see it. It's great to look at others daylilies in this color range.....Sherry: Real Wind has the color occasionally, but faded to buff in our heat. You are right though, for people who live in normal summer areas it is a unique beauty.....Debra: I like Dance Again, but it looks more like a polychrome yellow, much like Frequent Comment. .......I've often wondered about the once hugely popular How Beautiful Heaven Must Be. Anyone grow it?........I did buy one daylily this year that was close to the color I would like. We will see more about it next year as to how it handles our heat. It's called

Orange Smoothie:

Maryl

• daylilybedmaker
    5 years ago

Here are the best peach, melon and apricot plants from this past summer:

Ethel Buccola: Traded with Mantis to get this one. A very consistent performer.

SASSY SHANNON: Yellow peach blend. This was one outstanding plant this summer. Bloomed its fool head off. Pod and pollen fertile. Crossed it solely with BASS GIBSON.

DEAR MOM: Simple and tall. It was one of the first ones I ever ordered from Wild's catalog 25 years ago. Thus the addiction/hobby began.

David (Zone 5)

• daylilybedmaker
    5 years ago

Runners up:

SMALL WORLD BRIAN: Was on the list to go. As usual, it responded to the threats. It was fantastic this summer. When it first bloomed, I did not recognize it. The best it has looked in 7 years.

SUBLIMINAL CALLIGRAPHY: I've had this for years and it just keeps on going. Very consistent performer.

EYAWANA: Apricot with a raspberry eye. Subtle beauty.

That's all for me.

David (Zone 5)

• celeste/NH
    5 years ago

I don't have many in this color range but one stands out above the rest. It might be an oldie from 1972 but it can't be beat as a garden specimen. Registered at 28 inches tall, mine is way taller than that ( another 'rebel' plant that defies the stats in my garden)……...RUFFLED APRICOT

Blooms are a big 7 inches.....

My second pick is another oldie, WELCOME MAT. Not terribly tall but is always a great bloomer and color is luscious......

SUNAPEE SUNSET.....a local NH daylily, this one can't be beat for performance in a cold zone.

It is one of the first to start blooming and continues into the late season with instant rebloom, which is a rare event in zone 4. In fact, this season it was the only daylily out of over 600 in my garden to have rebloom. (we had a dry summer). Bloom and scape production is astonishing.

RUNNER- UPS.....

Another oldie, FEMME DE JOIE is always a great garden plant.

ANGELUS ANGEL, great color and good performance

RUNNING IN THE RAIN

A tall UF with a medley of sunset colors

• lilykate7a
    5 years ago

Houzz is being most uncooperative with me these days. I can load pictures from my phone sometimes but not other devices. So I will stay far far behind these posts! This is not a color I have a lot of anyway but I would have posted Prickly Sesation as top dog in this category. Others have mentioned poor performance in their garden but it is a winner in mine. Celeste, I am always amazed at how tall so many of your scapes are. I have noticed this with Julia‘s as well. Spring starts so early for me that my foliage is huge and tall before the first scapes emerge. I wonder if that is the difference.

Kate

• mantis__oh
    5 years ago

Does it make a difference if one uses Houzz Photo rather than Photo to load? I use Houzz Photo. Note that duplicates can easily be deleted.

I am amazed how certain cultivars grow so tall with you, Celeste.

Peach Magnolia looked pretty good this year; Savannah Debutante, not this year. Madge Cayse, blooming after the peak-bloom tropical inferno, looked good, having bounced back nicely from division. Big Kiss was okay too.

Madge

Big Kiss
    Best peach viewed at another garden: Tropical Fruit Fight, although it didn't look that vigorous.

• lilykate7a
    5 years ago

Makes no difference for me, Mantis, in how I attempt to upload. Most of the time Houzz photos do not even load. I did go through a short period when I had no problems but am now back to the loading issue.

Kate

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sherry - Pizza Crust makes such a pretty clump!

Mantis - I like the looks of Seventy Times Seven and Jessica Lynn Bell!

Mantis and David - I've never seen Ethel Buccola have the pink color you and Mantis get. I guess that's temperature related.

Hoosier Nan - Forestlake Becky is my favorite of yours.

Alex - Sweet Tart always grabs me.

Maryl - There is some yellow in Dance Again, but overall it strikes me as an orangey/peach flower.

Celeste - Welcome Mat and Angelus Angel are my favorites of yours.

Debra

• daylilybedmaker
    5 years ago

I forgot about Honey On My Lips on my runner up list. It has many different faces.

• mantis__oh
    5 years ago

Honey on My Lips

How could I have missed Mean Green?

Chang Dynasty threw some beautiful flowers, but doesn't like this climate.

• Brad KY 6b
    5 years ago

I don't have many in this category; it is not a favorite. The peaches I have are here because of a nice eye. Also, none of my few melons did well last year, they were newly split.

Question: what is the difference between apricot and orange?

Augumenticus always blooms very well, even in a somewhat shady spot.

Spoken in Parables did well this year.

Children's Festival usually does well, but not a favorite as it is small and short.

that's all I have in this group.

Brad

• KarenPA_6b
    5 years ago

I don't have many in this category. The only few I have is Madge Cayse which Mantis already posted and Fairy Tale Pink which is more peachy than pink for me.

Of all the above, I like Mean Green, Pizza Crust, and Forestlake Laura Lee Harding and Chang Dynasty the best. That is a really beautiful pic of Chang Dynasty.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    5 years ago

Brad, To me apricot has more of a yellow cast to it, like Pizza Crust.

Sherry

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    5 years ago

Celeste: I almost had to chain him to the chair to have him see flowers, but my DH, while looking at these daylily pictures (he's strictly a Veggiehead), picked Ruffled Apricot as his favorite. I too love your picture of it. It's a good color too if it would hold up in our heat......Maryl

• celeste/NH
    5 years ago

Maryl, your hubby has a good eye! I can't speak about the heat you experience, but RA holds up wonderfully in the summer heat here. (We do get a few 90-plus degree days in July/August. The blooms have a thick substance and I don't notice any color fading, but it's hard to know how it would fare there. If you ever want to try it out just let me know in the spring and I can send you some fans.

Here's another pic of it, this past summer when we had drought conditions.....

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here's another runner up from me.

Greatest Gift of All

Debra

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    5 years ago

I really like Greatest Gift, Debra.

Sherry

• Brad KY 6b
    5 years ago

Well, if apricot is a bit more yellow, then Orange Velvet is actually apricot in color. The photo is a bit more yellow than the actual, and here's another poly. OV usually blooms well. I'll call it my runner-up.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    5 years ago

Thanks Celeste. That new picture you posted makes me lust all the more for it. But then there IS our heat. We will see how it goes next spring for both of us. Very nice of you to offer.................Maryl

• mantis__oh
    5 years ago

Forgot about Big Bang Theory, which looked good.

• samhain10 - 5a
    5 years ago

Mantis - love it!

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Mantis - I like Big Bang Theory. Is that a new one for you?

Debra

• daylilybedmaker
    5 years ago

I forgot to add this seedling to my honorable mention list:

VICTORIAN LACE x BOUNDLESS BEAUTY: First year blooming and it looks promising. Moved it out of the seedling patch. Can't wait until next year to see how it performs.

David (Zone 5)

• mantis__oh
    5 years ago

David, your seedling is remarkably round petaled, with broad sepals. Bill Maryott would be envious.

I have had Big Bang Theory for a while. It's a quite large bloom.