Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
househunt26

Master Bath design help needed

We are in the planning stage and need to resolve this issue before finalizing plan. We are trying to make this bath work even in case we become disabled.

Problem with this plan is that we had to bump out into the MBR to get space for potential level entry wheelchair access into shower without cutting out needed space in Master Closet (see second plan).

We plan on placing a movable cabinet beside toilet and if/when we need that space for wheelchair-to-toilet transfer we can just move it out of the way. The toilet needs to be wall hung (and therefore best not on outside wall) for ease of cleaning and to conserve space. We need shower large enough to roll into and a toilet space large enough for transfer (so no toilet room). We like the large open space style for the shower as well as the whole bath room. The wall dividing shower from the rest of the bath will only be about 56-60" high (with potential for glass above and/or at shower entrance if it proves to be too drafty). Is there a way to get that bump out space back without reducing size of closet?

Comments (12)

• Janice & Roger Baxter
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you kmg11 for your suggestions. Actually we were trying not to bump out anywhere. The window in the closet is to be a high awning style 12"H x 24"W window situated above a dual rod height shelf. The idea for the short wall by the toilet was to (1) block direct view through bedroom door, (2) to provide a surface to mount a grab bar, and (3) to provide for stud space for toilet paper right next to the toilet. Early on we fell in love with the vanity design shown below

Ranch Remodel · More Info

So this has influenced our decision for a single long vanity with dual bowls and tower cabinets at each end for linen storage ... along with sharing a single bowl in our current cramped bath for over 30 years now. Plus the movable cabinet mentioned in our original post will provide addition linen storage as well as house (behind a door) a fan on a timer to dry out the shower. And, yes, we have considered orienting the shower opening toward the vanity, reducing its size to 4' x 5' and then adding shower doors to contain the splash towards the vanity area as illustrated below, but that locates the toilet on an outside wall with danger of freezing the in-wall water tank.

• kmg11
    5 years ago

Nice photo!

Quick thoughts....I quickly googled ;) for exterior wall-hung toilet. An answer I found- a false uninsulated stud wall on the interior side- of your insulated wall. So I guess it can be done.

Or even flipping layout, shower/toilet where vanity is, obviously moving doors a bit. I would put the wider 5ft length opening towards vanity. If you decide doors are hard to maneuver you can always do a nice shower curtain for ease.

Looks like you have a couple pocket doors, one being a double? While they're space savers, they're not as easily closed for everyday use and have the tendency to wear out. I don't think I would do all of them. The double one for sure would never get closed in my household, actually my dh would probably not close any-!

Janice & Roger Baxter thanked kmg11
  • Mrs Pete
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

This is exactly what I was going to suggest.

This layout eliminates the pinch point created by the toilet, and it gives you ample space for grab bars around the toilet. It also allows you enough space for a small chest or shallow cabinet, which could store toilet paper for now.

You mentioned a moveable cabinet of some sort for the toilet area ... both of my grandparents had some, um, toileting issues in their later years and needed supplies near the toilet. Moveable is not a bad idea, but I suspect you'd be happy to have some sort of storage in that area.

I definitely like the shower's entrance across from the sink. It seems that you have more space for the entrance and a nice deep shower.

One hang-up: You have a window IN the shower now? Could you flip-flop the shower and the toilet areas? I don't think it'd make a hill of beans difference in the function of the room, but it would place the window above the toilet and give you a solid wall for your shower.

I don't see a place for towel bars, but you could have hooks on the edge of the shower entrance.

With that long vanity, you could have a linen tower at one (or both) ends, providing plenty of storage.

I would do away with the pocket door to enter the bathroom. Pocket doors aren't the easiest things to open, and if you ever have arthritic fingers, they'll be really tough. I like the pocket door on the closet (because that door'll probably stay open most of the time), but I'd place an exhaust fan INSIDE the shower and just OUTSIDE the shower door.

Janice & Roger Baxter thanked Mrs Pete
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    5 years ago

Don't forget the vanity when you are planning for wheelchair accessibility, especially because it could affect the plumbing. You will need something like this for at least one of the sinks,

By the way, Delta has some towel bars and even a toilet paper holder that double as grab bars, which you need to plan for before building because they require adequate backing.

+1 on ditching the pocket door. I don't like them for bathrooms anyway, because they don't do much for privacy on either side of the door and they don't hold up well to constant use, but they would definitely be difficult for anyone with physical challenges aging in place.

Janice & Roger Baxter thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • Janice & Roger Baxter
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for your comments, Mrs Pete! Regarding the moisture control issue we intend to have exhausting air coming out of the toilet and shower areas and fresh air entering primarily through the closet as well as a smaller amount "washing" the vanity mirrors - assuring moist air flow is always being piped out and dry air coming in the bath and never moist air going into the closet area. Regarding the window-in-shower we are considering moving the high (12"H x 60" W awning style) window out of the shower area and replacing it with a 32"W x 60"H window (which will then match other windows in other rooms along that exterior wall) just outside the shower in the toilet area. These next two drawings add a bit of detail to the reduced size shower (that doesn't bump out into either bedroom nor closet) with alternate side openings ... and moves the toilet off the outside wall.

Regarding pocket doors - we anticipate that they will remain open most of the time, but any other type door (except perhaps dual swinging doors) either eat up walking or wall space.

• Janice & Roger Baxter
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you, beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally, for the tip on dual purpose grab bars - that's something I had not yet run across. And we will keep the potential need for under-sink-knee-access in mind when making the final plans for the vanity and especially routing the plumbing!

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    5 years ago

I know I saw them on the Lowes (Canada) website when we were starting our build. Here's the Delta page with all of them,

https://www.deltafaucet.com/bathroom/accessories/grab-bars

Janice & Roger Baxter thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • kmg11
    5 years ago

If keeping the toilet on the inside wall, just make sure there is allotted enough space between shower, even for a walker. They do have flip down grab bars you could position on wall that could help too.

pull down grab bars - Google Search · More Info

Flipping the toilet and shower could offer you a bit more privacy.

Swinging doors are nice, but I'm imagining my mom who used a walker, then a wheelchair for a brief time and this would have been very difficult to manage for her. My dad as well struggled with his fingers, so a pocket door would have been a no.

It sounds like you are being very conscientious about layout and decisions, which will lead to a good plan for the two of you. :)

Janice & Roger Baxter thanked kmg11
  • Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

Maybe you left off a "0" at the end of the width for the door between the bathroom and the bedroom. I cannot see a 25" door being at all walker or wheelchair-friendly! Thirty-four inches makes more sense. In my experience using a walker, I found that a "normal" swinging door was difficult to try to close. That was with 30" doors, not my new 36" ones or your 34" one. I imagine that it would be worse with a wheelchair. I find that my new pocket door into the bathroom is the easiest door for me to deal with, since we widened all the doors to 36" wide.

I would also suggest that you consider a different layout for your cabinetry. In a wheelchair, there is no place to put your feet in order to reach a sink. There is no way for a person in a wheelchair to get both of her hands in the sink at once to wash her hands. If you make one of the sinks without a cabinet below it, it will work better if you ever have a wheelchair user in the home. I did my vanity with a semi-recessed sink that sits proud of the cabinet, to make it easier to access from my rollator walker or maybe someday a wheelchair. My vanity is so narrow because I needed the open floor space to maneuver in our small bathroom.

Janice & Roger Baxter thanked Nancy in Mich
  • Janice & Roger Baxter
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you, nancyinmich, for your first hand input. Not sure which dimension you are referencing (25"), but we plan to have 36" wide doorways in almost every location (excepting only a closet or two) throughout the house. I am relieved to hear your first hand experience of having a 36" pocket door which you find easy to use. Also, the photo I included of the vanity is one taken from houzz which only serves as a concept starting point for our actual vanity design - we will be sure to keep the suggestion that both you and beckysharp have made to make our final design at least future-compatible with wheelchair access.

• Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

The drawing shows that the door into the bathroom is 2' 1". Oh no, I see my mistake. That must be the width of the closet. I was seeing the arrow as only one ended, and thought it was pointing to the door way. Sorry!