Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calamondindave

What type sour orange and sweet lime do you think these are?

calamondindave
5 years ago

I visited an Asian market and saw a "Sour Orange" PLU 4389 and "Sweet Lime" PLU 4306, both grown in the Dominican. The store workers didn't know what variety they are. Both fruit are juicy and would make a good drink. The Sour Orange tasted good to me, not as sour as my Calamondins though which I eat whole. I liked the orange. The Lime was kind of sweet, more like a lemon I thought. Both fruit had seeds. I'm wondering if the Orange would make a good root stock? Thanks!

Top of fruit...

Bottome of fruit...

Cut in half...

Seeds...

Comments (11)

• johnmerr
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The PLU codes you listed are generic for orange and lime....You would have to ask the retailer; and they likely don't know either. Pretty sad looking fruit.

calamondindave thanked johnmerr
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    5 years ago

sour orange would make good rootstock

calamondindave thanked poncirusguy6b452xx
  • calamondindave
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, all. Yes, the fruit there was all ratty looking, and I picked the best of the boxes. I got them for the seeds, especially wanted the sour orange. I'd like to grow them for grafting experiments. I went there hoping to find a yuzu.

I started the seeds this afternoon.

• citrange2
    5 years ago

Your 'sweet lime' looks identical to the 'Persian Sweet Lemon' that is sometimes available here from speciality shops. It is imported here in the UK from Iran - but probably not into the US for political reasons. It is called Limu Shiran and to me it tastes watery and insipid. However, in the Middle East and North Africa it is appreciated - particularly by children.

I notice that it is being propagated and sold by a Los Angeles nursery. See

Sweet Lemon tree from Los Angeles

calamondindave thanked citrange2
  • calamondindave
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, citrange2. That may be it.

• calamondindave
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Some of the sour orange seeds sprouted. I saved one to grow (it's in the middle in front). It's growing faster than my calamondin seedlings planted at the same time. It's got rounder leaves than calamondin seedlings. Btw, Those are southern live oaks started in the back - I got the seeds from a tree in Calabash, NC over Thanksgiving. .

• PRO
    Home
    5 years ago

That’s a great find at the store. The sour orange seedlings will make great rootstock for you! I gotta keep my eyes peeled for some sour oranges

calamondindave thanked Home
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    5 years ago

" 4389ORANGES Retailer Assigned" It is absolutely worthless code that sets the price at the cash register'

" 4306 – LIME: retailer assigned" It to is absolutely worthless.

Steve

calamondindave thanked poncirusguy6b452xx
  • HU-703796346
    5 years ago

the lime looks like a ripe Persian lime also know as a Bears lime. the same lime most people buy in the stores while still green. Once they are ripe they take on a mild, sweet taste compared to what most people think of as a lime. My Persian lime is potted in a very large tree pot and produces all year long. I prefer it to the Key Lime, larger, more juice and no thorns. There is a Palestinian lime that looks similar that I have heard was low acid so was not liked by the taster.

calamondindave thanked HU-703796346
  • calamondindave
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That could be it, Robert. I'm not sure. The taste of it was not at all lime like. It was sweet, and kind of odd tasting. Would make a good drink when mixed with something else. Some of the lime seeds germinated but I ended up throwing them out. I have to make more germination space for other things.