Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmraska2014

powder room help

Christine R
5 years ago
Hi all, I recently painted our powder room “stardew” from Sherwin Williams. It’s a little darker than I had thought but I still like it. My husband going to build shelves for the current metal rack, and due to the color on the walls I am now unsure of what I want. I thought a medium tone stain would be pretty but now not sure if that will be too dark. So my questions for you all;
1) dark or light/no stain on wood for the shelves on metal rack?
2) ditch current metal rack and have hubby build new wood ones?
3) ideas for walls next to and in front of toilet, I was considering corner shelves.

Comments (29)

• Christine R
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Corner shelf possibilities
  • Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    Hmmmmmm I think I would go white floating shelves, looks fresh
  • artistsharonva
    5 years ago

Good suggestions above.

Try to keep within centered lines for balance. The towel holder may need to move to over some.

• K R
    5 years ago
    I like the white shelves idea, for toilet paper and other toiletries since you don’t have storage with a pedestal sink.
  • felizlady
    5 years ago
    Your powder room is pretty . The only thing I would change would be the light fixture...it's a bit dated, but it can wait. The metal shelf goes with the dark floor and trash receptacle. You could put thin lucite or dark shelves on it, but you probably will only be placing a small box of tissue and a couple of extra hand towels there. Extra toilet paper can be stored on an upright t.p. stand under the sink. I would add some art on the wall. Even a powder room should have a plunger and a toilet brush available (right-hand corner under the sink) for big jobs.
  • silviakunst
    5 years ago
    Why is the towel holder over the toilet? It should be closer and lower towards the sink . You need a beautiful light fixture ..( chandelier ) to warm the place up
  • PRO
    Missy Pitt Interiors
    5 years ago

Love the color! Here's my gut instinct: White shelves like those in your last submitted photo. Then, as they did in that picture, warm the shelving area with warm-toned baskets, canisters (as in your first picture idea) submission. Only don't show toilet paper stacked on shelves : ) I agree that the towel rack is in a bit of an awkward place. Perhaps move it to the wall to the right of the mirror. I wouldn't do corner shelves. On your wall opposing the toilet I would do framed art stacked 2 high like Jan Moyer has shown. Might need 2 sets of these depending on wall width. Keep the art light to match what you have going on. It's looking great!

• gdevlinjr
    5 years ago
    I also recommend changing out the light fixture and I think the dark shelves match the piece better. Really like the color. Not to dark at all.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

If you analyze your requirements for this room, I don't think an open decorative shelf with meet you needs. Try a closed door cabinet. It will brighten the room and provide you with the ability to store items that might not be so pretty.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/VILLA-BATH-by-RSI-Catalina-24-in-W-x-7-25-in-D-White-Bathroom-Wall-Cabinet/50299001

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

recess storage maybe

recess cabinet

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

I have a simple stainless steel reserve roll canister similar to this . I like that it has a lid.

Freestanding Toilet Paper Holder Canister by Lavish Home · More Info

• PRO
    DESIGNWORTHY
    5 years ago

I like a mid-tone warm walnut for the shelves. Powdery slate blue and walnut will be such a lovely contrast!

Not recommending this piece - just for color inspo :P

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Pretty art, not shelves. It is a powder room; not a full bath that needs storage.

• Christine R
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for all the great advice! We do use this bathroom enough for things other than just the toilet so some storage is a must for us at this time. I hadn’t noticed the current rack is offset a little, now I won’t be able to overlook that but I can’t ask my husband to move it as he’s the one who put it up .
    I think I’ll try adding the wood shelves to the metal unit to warn that up a bit and go with some canvas prints on the wall instead of corner shelves. I can always add the shelves later if I feel I really need them but that will be easier than asking my husband to remove them after he goes to all the trouble of making them.
    Thanks again everyone! I’ll add pics as we finish things, I know it’s always fun to see end results
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

It's off center. It's already "too warm" in style/finish/feel for the pedestal sink, and for the light above that sink. If you must have shelving for personals, move them to an opposite wall, use floating shelves in white, and add some art.

A room without a clear "intent", becomes a bit of a mish mash...................just saying. : ) Sorry.

If the intent is to not hurt DH feelings? Tell him you're a gal and you changed your girlish mind. Hardly a radical concept. : ) Change your mind, you should.

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Why not just try one of these over the toilet? Looks pretty good to me.

Scarsdale Space Saver · More Info

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

DH placed the shelving unit in the wrong location because the towel ring is located in the wrong location. Geesh, I don't know where it is written that men control the tools in homes.

Move the ring and then move the shelf. Start it yourself and ask DH for assistance. Do it together so it's done right.

When there's not much in a room whatever isn't right becomes more prominent.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Moos moosh mash! Just kiss him and say " I think we both goofed a bit here...............? Let's fix it so we both can love our POWDER room. Then make his favorite dinner : )

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

Is there room to pur the towel ring ont he wall to the right of the sink? Then you would have plent of room for a nice art piece where you can see it fromthe door.

• Sandybean
    5 years ago
    Finally! Someone said it ^ put that towel ring to the right of the sink! And I don't agree that you should keep a plunger and brush in the small room. Store them elsewhere out of sight.
  • tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

I want the brush in the room. For the plunger - if there tend to be problems with the plumbing, OK to have one nearby. Place them in the left corner behind the toilet, out of sight. Place the reserve roll canister in the left corner infront of the toilet.

Our plunger is in the attached garage, right near the door..

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Given the water levels everywhere in every toilet? Just EVERYONE should learn to flush as you "go". Honestly.........: (!!!! Pleeeze lol. Flush again as you deem necessary. TEACH YOUR TEENS. PLEEEEEZE, ESPECIALLY. the hearty eating males

• Christine R
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    So I’m having my husband make shelves similar to the photo here, and we’ll get rid of metal shelves and towel ring. I’ve tried to take pictures at different angles of the bathroom. I feel like it’s “off-center” because everything is on one side. I’m thinking of adding pictures like Jan Moyer suggested, how many should I do? Maybe double stacked canvas prints of mountain pics we took on our last vaca, but how large would you do? I tried to show the wall corner to trim is 33” and from corner to end of light switch is 22.5”. Thanks for any and all help!
  • Christine R
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Maybe some pics like these
  • Christine R
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Or some flower pics maybe?
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

No powder room is this much brain surgery.. You already have a medicine cabinet to the right of the sink. why have shelves??! The light is utilitarian at best. There are many better and inexpensive. ( Pottery Barn below ) Frankly, I'm not even a hand towel fan , nor the sharing of germs that go with them. A box of guest paper towels to suit the color in the bath are readily available., set it on the john, and it is both hand towel and nose tissue.....( none of us would use a single towel in a restaurant, would we?)

As to the pictures, either are fine. AS framed photography, and matted!. No need to convert to canvas art. Frame six at 16 x 20. Two over toilet and four on the wall you see most upon entry. Add more opposite if you like.

Get over the shelves. Not needed. Change the light. It is NOT your bathroom. Its a guest bath. You already have suggestions for TP storage............nobody needs more than four rolls in there at one time. Pills, lipstick, hairbrush touch up, fine. In the medicine cab. Soap and hand lotion on the sink. AIR FRESHENERS? Skip it. They are worse than the original odor. : ) A simple check of the state of the bath every other day is all that is needed. Clean, and the basics handy and full. It's a pee and wash. Not a hangout. : ) or spa.

• Sandybean
    5 years ago

Your scenery photos are beautiful, the flower shots not so much. Nothing wrong with the shelves you show and it would be a good alterative to the towel ring, but I hope you don't have plans on storing toothbrushes and soap dispenser on them or toilet paper. . Decorative things only, along with disposable towels, box of tissues on toilet. If you have to use powder room for brushing teeth, supplies belong in the med cabinet only. While I agree with having disposable towels for guest, I think you'll also want a towel for everyday family use. The light fixture shown above would look great. Present light is pretty generic.

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

Nice mountain photos.

If you put them in photoshop & do a slight filter changes you can make them stay closer to the color theme in bathroom. Or print them as black & white to pull them togeather in cohesiveness & frame them similarly.