Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
feliciaj2

Help w/ paint colors in formal dining room with antique white shutters

feliciaj2
5 years ago

My DH just finished painting our formal dining room. I purchased many samples and put them on cardboard prior to choosing the paint color. I went with accessible beige lightened 50%. I love the color, however, once on the wall it just doesn't look right with my current furniture and plantation shutters. I am trying to update the area with just paint. Not trying to spend lots of money. The room was initially a dark brown and the shutters are an antique whitish color. The chairs have the maroon, green, and gold color as well as the rug. The rug also has some hints of dark teal.

Was trying to lighten the space and modernize (update) at the same time. Are there any paint colors that would complement the shutters? I currently have Believable Buff, Whole Wheat, Antique White, those colors throughout my house. I was trying to put something different other than those colors just to try and change things up a bit. Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Did you put a primer on first? Might just be the photo but paint looks streaky? I would like blue walls for your pretty dining room. It would work with your other colors in your home and the elements you describe in your dining room. I will see if i can work something up for you. Bbl
    feliciaj2 thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    I think this color would bring a beautiful look to your dining room and bring it up to a new level. Beautiful color. BM Waters Edge.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    I tried to show you how this color would look with your chandelier. Your trim would be beautiful with it too.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Just playing around with your room. I put white Christmas trees on your table. Hope this gives you an alternative paint color for your lovely room and beautiful chandelier.
  • PRO
    PAROX STUDIO
    5 years ago

I really like the waters edge, but if you afraid to paint a new color you can use neutral colors like Agreeable Gray from Sherwin Williams, or Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter. Its gray-beige with green undertone which I guess will match your furniture and its modern.

feliciaj2 thanked PAROX STUDIO
  • PRO
    M&M Interiors
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

not sure how that pretty blue will work with the green, maroon and gold in the chairs and rug-

feliciaj2 thanked M&M Interiors
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    I think that blue will be great with those traditional colors. Maybe we can get more photos of other elements?
  • lynartist
    5 years ago
    I don’t think the new color is doing much for what looks like some very beautiful wood tones here! Chair seat fabric is easily changed so I guess the rug is the biggest decider in this space! I’m not usually a fan of cutting colors in half; you loose something in the translation! This just looks drab to me and that’s not what you want in a dining room!
  • lynartist
    5 years ago
    If the shutters are truly antique white the AB isn’t going to look good with the gold tone in that off white! Of course it depends whose antique white it is too!
  • cat_ky
    5 years ago

I like the waters edge posted above. You said your rug had some teal in it. Try a sample of it, and see how you like it. If the waters edge, is totally different than your color teal in the rug, then look around for a shade that does go with the teal. Your paint does look a bit streaky.

feliciaj2 thanked cat_ky