Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirty_gardener

Are we now the old fogies of Gardenweb?

dirtygardener
5 years ago

Most of us have been here since the early days of Gardenweb. I think I came in 1998, then left after the 9/11 fiasco when Spike made a lot of the more popular forums, like the Garden Party, private. I went over to Delphi Forums and Michelle from NZ and I started The Garden Partay, but gave it up and started The Garden Swap there. Last time I checked, the Garden Partay was shuttered, but the Garden Swap is still alive and kicking.

I've been here under several names -- can't really remember them all -- because when Spike still owned it, and even after iVillage bought it but Spike was still running it, someone would always turn me in and he would kick me out again. I finally gave up, but came back when it was sold out to NBC and Spike was gone. I may have been under another name. I can't remember. Every time it changed hands, my account was deleted and I had to open a new one.

I remember that when we were on The Garden Party, there were a lot of senior citizens on there that didn't like us, because we were too rowdy for them, and kept having us "Disneyed" (a punishment Spike would inflict on your where you were redirected from GW to Disney when you tried to visit.) I would have been in my late 40s then. Now I'm 66, so I've been here off and on for at least 20 years.

So now are we the old fogies of GW? I tend to think of us more as the gatekeepers.

Is the Garden Party forum even around anymore? Seems I found it once, but it was pretty dead, only one person posting a daily quote still. No real discussions. I guess FB has taken everyone away. I remember when NBC took over, there was an exodus to FB, and I actually started a Florida Gardening group over there, which got entirely out of hand, so I turned it over to someone else and left. I also started a Florida Gardening forum on Reddit, but it never really took off because I came back here and never paid much attention to it.

People split off over the years for this reason or that. The brugmansia forum split into several groups at one time, and the rose forum did too. The seed exchange used to be very lively, but seems to be barely alive now. I wonder sometimes if GW will be around much longer, or if it will just be sucked up into Houzz as the Houzz gardening forums, and be gone forever.

Comments (21)

• whgille
    5 years ago

Deb and Glenn, you guys made me laugh with my cup of coffee.

• dirtygardener
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Silvia, I remember you being younger than most of us. What do you find so funny, whippersnapper? LOL

• whgille
    5 years ago

Deb, only my mind is younger and I have pretty good energy but I already walked this path of life for a long time....

Daily I remind myself that age is only a number, since I have seen young people looking like old and old people looking like young.

And I believe that I still have a lot of things to do and that involves fun! lol

• dirtygardener
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Silvia, I agree. I'm 66 and people are always shocked when I tell them that. I think my gardening and walking and young attitude have kept me younger in spirit. I see people much younger than I am who seemingly have much easier and better lives who just look completely worn out, but you never know what people are going through. It's good genes, I guess. My mom never looked her age either. Of course, it helps that I never smoked, quit drinking and doing any kind of drugs very young, and eat mostly raw fruits and veggies.

I had a gardening friend of Russian heritage who was 92 and could work circles around me when we were tending her garden together. She died at 96, and had been working in her garden until just a few days before she died. She just passed away in her sleep. She used to tell me to "always keep moving," and I believe in that. As long as I'm walking and talking, I think it's a good day.

• Rhonda
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I've been on Gardenweb for about 20 years now..the first 10 in the Ohio gardening forum. I'm 60 now but in my mind I'm only 25 though my body reminds me daily that I'm not LOL

• marcia_m
    5 years ago

I've been on GW for many years--I don't even remember when I discovered it and joined! Surely at least 20 years. I got sent to Disney once! I participated in many seed exchanges, the old garden rose, perennials, and clematis forums. So many helpful people!

• bea (zone 9a -Jax area)
    5 years ago

Deb, I think of many people here as friends and would be truly upset if our forum went away. If that happens lets open a page on FB please. I don't want to lose you all.

• irma_stpete_10a
    5 years ago

If we lose a way to share with each other, I'm afraid I will become the old lady who babbles in any ear she can find at nurseries.

• dirtygardener
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Bea & Irma, someone else will have to run it, because I'm done running garden groups. I don't think GW will ever go completely away. It will probably be sold again sometime in the future, but it won't go away.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    5 years ago

Another old-timer here. I've been coming to GardenWeb since the 90s = )

• Pea
    5 years ago

I used to be on garden web when spike owned the place but after hurricane charley in 2004 my joy of planting had be blown away...all my containers gone, my plants toppled during the storm or trampled in the rebuild. So when the gardening bug bit again i wandered back but my sign in wouldn't work so i resigned up using a very similar name. I miss the in person plant trades...wish someone would host one.

• dirtygardener
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Pea, I know what you mean about Charley. I lost the top of the oak that a lot of my large philodendrons were growing up, and that shaded my shade garden. It was a mess trying to keep them from frying. When the top fell, it took out my yellow passion fruit vine, and I couldn't ever get it started again, even from cuttings.

My disaster was the freeze of 2010. I lost so much, it was hard to want to start over. I dug up bananas and put them into the garage, but somehow, they never took off again, and I ended up selling them when I left later that year. My yard was still a mess when I moved. I didn't have anyone to help me clean up, and I knew I was losing the house and had to leave anyway, so I just let it go.

• irma_stpete_10a
    4 years ago

Bump! It may be the isolation due to COVID-19 that makes me find this to be special. Some friends we haven't heard from in too long.

• dirtygardener
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I can't believe how much things have changed since I started this thread. I really feel so much older now, and the joy in gardening seems to have left me. I wish I could get it back, but I think it's gone for good. I just started a small collection of succulents, hoping that would spur me, but it hasn't. I tried to start seeds this year, but they didn't do too well, so that was another sign that my gardening days are about over.

This coronavirus crisis has reminded me of how old I am. I'll be 68 soon, and I'm afraid to leave the house now for fear of dying. I look in the mirror and see someone I don't recognize. I just have to believe that this too shall pass.

• Bridget Eve
    4 years ago

Sylvia, are you the one who hosted a garden party plant swap through GW years ago? With the greenhouse and nasturtiums and loquat tree and all that amazing food? I just "returned" to these forums now that I've moved and have a blank yard again and find myself retired with time on my hands. I think I remember your screen name! I remember only a very few.

• whgille
    4 years ago

Hi Bridget Eve!

It is very nice from you to remember and yes, that is me.:) I hosted many garden parties at my house through the years and I am still gardening and cooking.

My outdoor space looks different now and is abundant with fruit ripening and veggies, it is really good for the soul and the body.

You will enjoy to get back to gardening, it will keep you busy and happy.

• JoanM
    4 years ago

Hi Fl gardeners, it’s been a long time. I would guess I joined back around 2003 when I built my house on an acre and needed advice. Ricky aka Fawnridge did a garden design for me. I went to a few plant swaps, I remember one was at his house in Boca. I saw that he moved to CO, I also found out that Lisa (mastiffs) moved out west. Her house with all the fruit trees was for sale when I was house shopping last year. She worked at my vet, thats how I found where she went. I lived in that house in PBG for 9 years and then moved to Stuart for about 6 years. Last July we bought a place on two acres in Palm City. I am officially back to gardening. My very first HOA ever as well. They protect the trees and the native FL plants so I think it will be easy to work around.

I also just got laid off. My last day is tomorrow. I got a weed whacker and plan to do my own yard maintenance going forward. I guess at 56 I am one of the youngins? LOL

I now have to learn about shade gardening in FL. I have oaks and pines galore. I also have a large KOI pond with 8 fish and a turtle named Tommy. And, zero clue about maintaining a pond. Squirrels and bunnies everywhere. I even found deer scat in my yard. I am trying to stay locked in as my 82 Mom lives with us and I don’t want to bring something home with me. If I can find a local nursery that delivers I would love to work on this yard before it gets hot. I also get to learn about pond plants now too.

• JoanM
    4 years ago

• irma_stpete_10a
    4 years ago

Welcome, Joan. Nice to have you and your new challenges in the loop.

I assume that getting nursery help should be easy: the large tree service that I use just sent out an offer of pre-hurricane-season discounts. First time I've seen that from them, so I guess business has slowed down for them.

• JoanM
    4 years ago

I already had a tree service in to remove two exotic trees that were too large, and on the new drain field. Now I have been hacking back at the perimeter. I need to go get some photos so I can learn which of these plants is toxic. I keep hearing the rhyme, leaves of three, let it be so I stay far away from that one. It must be something else that gets me. I thought I was not bothered by Brazilian Pepper but maybe that one is my problem? I need to decontaminate my clothes and tools far too often. Whatever it is, it has to go!