Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dnagardens

Moonlight In Paris aka Garden and Home

Dave5bWY
5 years ago

Do any of you grow Moonlight in Paris/Garden and Home? Ludwigs was the only nursery I am aware of that carried this in the past prior to Heirloom selling it this year and so I know my chance of receiving an answer are slim but I thought I’d ask anyway. What is the growth habit like? Fragrance? As good of disease resistance as they claim?

Comments (41)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

Didn't some people get this from Agave? I remember lusting after it and considered it, until my order fell apart.

Dave5bWY thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • sabalmatt_tejas
    5 years ago

I can’t speak for growing it, but the HEB grocery stores in S Central TX had them for sale this summer. They were very attractive plants.

Dave5bWY thanked sabalmatt_tejas
  • Dave5bWY
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, Vaporvac, I thought a few had it on their order list from Agave. I’m sorry you never received your order. That was a difficult situation.

Thank you, Sabalmatt! If they looked really good there that gives me hope.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

Well, I did finally get Ascot, but am not sure I'll ever get Candice unless it's goes out of patent and someone shares cuttings: ( Good to hear G&H is becoming available in some venues.

Dave5bWY thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    5 years ago

Edmunds has one called Midnight in Paris then in the description it says something about Moonlight in Paris lol.

https://www.edmundsroses.com/P/25029/Midnight+In+Paris+Shrub+Rose

Dave5bWY thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • Dave5bWY
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh, I know! Get the name right, Edmunds! It looks like Regans is selling it as well.

• Dave5bWY
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you, Carly! Beautiful pics! With Certified Roses growing and disturbing it this year I was wondering if it would be available at large retailers. I’ve been going back and forth between Moonlight in Paris and Mary Magdalene but if Moonlight in Paris is as disease resistant as is claimed, I’ll go that way.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

Wow!, what a gorgeous rose

Dave, I am always tempted by Mary Magdalene but the rating for disease is poor

I agree that if the disease resistance is better for Moonlight in Paris I would choose that one. It is certainly a gorgeous rose.

Dave5bWY thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • L G
    5 years ago

Hi Dave. Being from South Africa my conditions may not be very similar to yours, but I've grown it for several years and it has always been a star in our hot and dry climate with very good disease resistance (in fact, I can't recall ever seeing either blackspot ir mildew on it). It flowers a lot and is also an excellent choice for a tree rose.

Unfortunately, I do not have recent photos as we relocated in June. I dug it up to take with me and it is still settling in its new bed. If I can find sone older photos I will post it below.

By the way, for all those people wanting Candice: it is my understanding from a Ludwig's Facebook post earlier this year that Heirloom has taken over the plants that Ludwig's used to sell in the USA. You might just be fortunate enough to obtain a plant if you enquire from them or at least hear if they have a mother plant to propagate a few special requests from ;-)

Dave5bWY thanked L G
  • Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    5 years ago

Wow what a beautiful rose!! Glad you asked about it Dave . Surely adding it to my list as well . And would be wonderful if heirloom sold Candice .. I also wish I had bought that one .

Dave5bWY thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • L G
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Mmm... houzz would not let me post any photos...

It is a nice rounded bush and the flowers come in clusters. In the heat the flowers can be slightly more cream but still with undertones of peach pink or slightly more yellow like Carly's photos. I have never seen the flowers as deeply coloured as in the photo from Edmunds but even in the heat the flowers are really lovely with a moderate fragrance. Better vase life than most of my Austins and very floriferous. It also makes a lovely statement when used as a landscaping plant.

Dave5bWY thanked L G
    5 years ago

LG, keep trying

We would love to see your pictures.

This looks like a beautiful rose

5 years ago

Edmonds is calling it Midnight in Paris lol Same rose because it says AKA Garden and Home.

Get those names right you guys, geeze!

• L G
    5 years ago

I am still trying. What I can do for now is to refer you to the link on Ludwig's catalogue. The last photo with the masses of blooms is typical of what I get in my garden. http://www.ludwigsroses.co.za/flower/garden-and-home/

I will however keep trying to post :-)

Dave5bWY thanked L G
  • Dave5bWY
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi L G, thank you for the great information! How would you describe the growth habit/plant shape? That is good to know about Heirloom. I had assumed but didn’t know for sure.

5 years ago

LG, I will pretend that that is your actual rose picture. Lol

I thnk that is a really lovely rose. It is delicate and romantic looking.

Do you think it will be a giant ?

• L G
    5 years ago

Hi Kristine. I will try to post some photos later again. It is very well-behaved and not a giant here. I would say about 1.3 - 1.5 metres. It is a nice, rounded bush shape with flowers from top to bottom ( not like the lollipop hybrid teas with flowers only at the top). At our previous home, where I had more than 300 rose bushes, I liked it so much that it had a prime position right in front of one of my lounge windows. It was short enough not to obscure the view of the garden beyond but tough enough not to shrivel from the reflected heat from the nearby window. I planted it next to a "Memoire" tree rose on its left, which was slightly taller, a "Tineke" rose in front of it (more or less the same height with the flowers intermingling), PJP (shorter) next to tineke, and a baby "Free and Loyal" towards its right. The roses then gradually transitioned to light pink roses. The grouping worked beautifully.

Dave5bWY thanked L G
  • L G
    5 years ago

Somehow my other photos still does not upload at all. I will try again later, as I have to get some food into my kid's tiny bellies and change a nappy asap :-)

Dave5bWY thanked L G
    5 years ago

That is fabulous

Darn it, another rose to add to my growing list

I will definitely find a home for that one.

Have fun with that nappy lol

• Dave5bWY
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, L G - I am definitely sold now! The grouping you described sounds beautiful. Free and Loyal is another I’d like to eventually get. The pictures on Ludwigs site are wonderful.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    5 years ago

How beautiful. I want it too! Is it possible it is off patent and Edmunds changed the name slightly like Palatine did with Augusta Luise, changing it to Augusta Louise? Enough to be different, but still recognizable.

Dave5bWY thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • KittyNYz6
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

This year my new Moonlight in Paris has 25 buds & blooms after 3rd flush. Very excited about this rose-has so many buds that I am lovn’ it bloom & light up my garden.

2nd flush this season

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    2 years ago

I know everyone's seen these already. But I really enjoy the beautiful pastel colors of this rose. The blooms last a good while on the bush (a week or longer), the fade to cream is gradual for me in afternoon dappled shade and I don't think they ever attain a yucky color like creams sometimes can. Light fragrance that is pleasant. So far, as a 1st year plant, the fall flush was far superior to the spring flush. This might not be the case in gardens with more moderate temperatures, but our spring got a long, early heatwave that I think affected it. This rose doesn't seem to like it too hot. It gets hit directly with an overhead sprinkler 3x a week and yet never shows any unhealthy foliage. In spring especially, the new foliage has a very attractive orange/auburn cast to it.

Fading to cream...

Apricot, pink and cream...

Sometimes all apricot...

2 years ago

Two years after Dave's initial post, Moonlight in Paris is easily found and available to everyone across the country. I bought my two at Lowes last year and they have been spectacular in every way. The first blooms were twins to Mary Magdalene, but MiP blooms became fuller and larger and have a little more personality. Mary M died to the ground last year, a very mild winter, and has come back poorly. MiP suffered only tip damage. She's absolutely astounding in my z5/6. The blooms can be pink, peach, yellow or cream, or all four at the same time. They last forever on the bush and in the vase. I cut a cluster stem that had already been on the bush for 2 weeks, and they lasted another week+ in the house. Once in a while a breeder hits it out of the park, and I believe this is one of those home runs.

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    2 years ago

I agree, one of the very best new roses. Beautiful pearlescent colors that almost look translucent, and it blooms a ton and repeats fast! MiP and Scentuous are both European bred roses introduced by Certified, I hope they give us more like these. When I visited their headquaters in Tyler, they said all their suppliers wanted more of this variety.

2 years ago

@BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14) Whaaat, come on, yours is so much better than mine 😅 goodness gracious. Good job.

• KittyNYz6
    2 years ago

@Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)

, Yours is gorgeous! Wow what blooms! Nice photography and nice brick kined bed!!!! I’d like all my beds lined w/bricks n future.

@BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)

Wowza! Ok, you win the prize! Outstanding abundant blooms on Moonlight in Paris this year! Must be that great Texas sun!

@flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Share your photos of MIP here, one more time? Then we have a thread with all these MIP beauties! Stunning! Yours are gorgeous!!

(My MIP was planted later in summer, but excited to see 25 buds soon open this Sept 2021!)

EVERYONE, Fabulous blooms of Moonlight in Paris! Great thread!

2 years ago

Ben, oh man is that glorious. I hang with mine because of the sweet inspiration of you guys

Mine is the little train that could, I think I can, I think can, I think I can.

2 years ago

Kitty, since you asked, but some of you are getting weary of these, I'm sure.

First three from last year.

This year, after the heat wave.

Blooms in clusters and singly.

At first I thought the weather caused the color changes, but now I think she just does as she pleases.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Flowers, I would never tire of seeing these beautiful photos, and all but one are new to me. I can't get over the first photo with those two distinct and delicate petal colors. Are you sure those two blooms at the front are not porcelain bisque? Each photo highlights a different color look, and this seems so unique to me. Moonlight in Paris has some interesting genetics for sure. I think you should just do your own thread on her. I also think that looks like a blue plate of mine in back in the last photo--ha. Is it Spode? Diane

• KittyNYz6
    2 years ago

Flowers,

Those MIP are exquisite!!!! Sensational colors! The pink-peach-cream in those fphotos are absolutely sensational! I saw ad photos from Edmonds showing MIP w/tgat pink but not uet in my MIP coliring. Oh Oh, I so live your photos!!!!! So nuch to look forward to!!!! Thank you for your MIP photos!

2 years ago

I love these beautiful MIP photos!

MIP has been good here but hasn't had those really pink colors. It is more washed out, probably due to our heat.

I'm hoping for better colors once it cools off a little.

It was new to me this spring but it was already getting pretty warm when I got it.

2 years ago

A very pinkish one today, even though all the other blooms on the bush have more typical coloring.

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    last year

our local home depot has bare root moonlight in paris and I am really happy to get one!

• Echo_Texas_zone9a
    15 days ago

Can anyone comment on the bloom size? The only seller that had the bloom size listed was Angel Gardens and it read 4inches. Is that accurate?

14 days ago

My blooms are easily 4 inches. Apparently it did end up black spotting badly in my hot humid zone. I dont spray though, so ymmv!

The good news is the bloom color got brighter lol. I'm not in love with it though.

• marascz9b
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

Mine are 2-3.5 inches. The difference is from the ones that are in clusters versus singly, and more deeply cupped versus more open, possibly due to the sun. I'm hoping mine get as large as 4 inches as well!

I usually see the pink color in fall/winter blooms. In the spring, they start a blush pink in the center and open to a white and cream color. Lots of thrips right now, but they don't look too bad if I peel away the damaged petals.

• marascz9b
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

December in comparison:

13 days ago

Turning in to a nice rose

12 days ago

Your MiPs are all gorgeous!