Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threebyfivebt

What do I do with this big blank wall?

threebyfivebt
5 years ago

This huge wall is the first thing you see upon entering the front door. Looking for ideas. It is a load-bearing wall and we don't have the budget to have it removed right now. Would a dark color help this wall recede or make it pop more? Did they have to put the smoke detector right there???? Not pretty! lol I have thought about adding some trim around the entryways to add some character. This yucky green has got to go.

Comments (19)

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The wall doesn't seem that big. The word sign is the problem. It's too small in comparison. Hang a larger piece of art instead.

Also, what is that tiny black square on the dining room wall?

• H202
    5 years ago

I'd be painting that whole space an off white color, get rid of the Trust sign, put a moderate sized piece of art there, and then a large interesting piece of art on that wall beside the dining table. To draw your eye back to that space. I would absolutely not paint the living room wall a contrast color -- which would just make the room smaller.

• threebyfivebt
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have been holding off on hanging a lot of artwork until we paint. Just moved in. They previous owners left a lot of nails so I just hung stuff up haphazardly. lol Lil S that tiny black square is a tiny black painting. I do have some larger pieces I can hang up after we paint. Is there a color besides off-white that would work? We have an orange couch and two yellow chairs.

• sloyder
    5 years ago

I would consider putting trim around the openings, as well as some artwork. The smoke detector can be moved closer to the stairway.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

The layout in your room could be improved upon.

• Turn the rug a 1/4 turn
    • Move the sofa in front of the window
    • Place the two chair where the sofa was
    • Relocate the TV to the blank wall. Mount it on the wall so it can be angled if necessary
    • Never turn on the fan light again
    • Get some decent table and floor lamps in the room as indicated by the yellow circles on the plan
    • Select a coffee table or maybe one that offers a lift top
    • The green lines indicate where art or wall decor should be placed

Good Luck

• mimimomy
    5 years ago

Smoke detectors may not be pretty but they save lives :)

Anyhoo, if it is not wired in, you should be able to easily move it, perhaps even to the ceiling, but check your building codes to make sure where they are needed, and add more if needed.

Also, if you have gas heat/appliances please put in a carbon monoxide detector if you don't have one. Very surprised the home we moved to didn't have them! YIKES. We added 2.

Also, I was interested to read that carbon monoxide detectors apparently need to be replaced every 5-7 years?? and apparently some have an expiration date!

• threebyfivebt
    Original Author
    5 years ago

minimomy Yes! We just had to replace our CO detector a few weeks ago...apparently it had hit the 7 year mark. :)

• threebyfivebt
    Original Author
    5 years ago

BeverlyFLADeziner, thank you so much for the layout plan! We do not have a tv in this room however...what would you suggest in its place?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

Some type of canvas. Either original art or reproductions.

threebyfivebt thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • threebyfivebt
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I've wondered about that. We need bookcases badly,

• mimimomy
    5 years ago

Hmm. Not sure I'd put a bookcase in that area if it's the first thing you see :)

I think a large piece of art and not much else is the best idea. With orange and yellow furniture, I think a nice white is your best option. Then you can add color through art and decor. Visually will really open up your spaces and they will flow into each other better, I think.

Bookcases on each side of the fireplace maybe?

threebyfivebt thanked mimimomy
  • housegal200
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hang a tall, vertical art work in colors and a subject you like that will tie into your furnishings. Hang it over a tallish console table on open legs.

Do think about hanging a large art work on the dining wall, which can also be viewed as you walk in the door.

And, yes, install floor-to-ceiling shelves to flank the fireplace.

Are you planning to pull up carpeting? Even if you're not, consider a layered runner from the front door to the wall in question. This creates a "pathway" into the space and towards the art, dining, and living areas.

Oh, and remove all the clutter on the paneling on the side of the fridge. You could also put a piece of art there, but probably it's better to leave it blank.

threebyfivebt thanked housegal200
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

threebyfivebt thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Ted McGuire
    5 years ago

Something doesn't look right with the openings. They look really low. I understand it is load-bearing but those openings look like they could be a foot tall and still allow the support overhead.

• threebyfivebt
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ted McGuire it could be that our vaulted ceilings aren't translating well in the photo. The peak of the ceiling is right in front of this big wall. Yes...I so wish we could afford to take the whole thing out or maybe have a pass-through, but that's not in the cards yet.

• threebyfivebt
    Original Author
    5 years ago

BeverlyFLADeziner That would be perfect! And I love the idea of built-in bookshelves on either side of the fireplace. The profile of the fireplace isn't very deep....just one brick-width. Would it look weird to have deep bookcases on either side? I am a fine artist by profession and could make a large painting just for my feature wall. Sounds like a fun project. Thank you so much for offering your professional advice.

• threebyfivebt
    Original Author
    5 years ago

housegal200 thank you so much for the great tips. I never realized how removing that clutter in the kitchen would make such a big difference!

• housegal200
    5 years ago

Do floating shelves if the depth is too shallow.

Sherbourne Circle · More Info

Not a fireplace, but you get the idea:

Naples Beach Coastal Retreat Series Living Room · More Info