Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
april_starkey25

Am I being to picky?

April Starkey
5 years ago
This is a new build. As you can see it is sloppy work. I didn’t get to walk through with my husband and he clearly missed some things lol. My biggest issue is the two different colors of grout. He actually mixed up my floor and shower grout. I had said the floor grout was very light when I first seen it and he said it was from the saw dust and all. So I never thought about it again. THEN when he finished the shower I told him it was to dark and he said that’s what I picked out. Well, I thought it just has to dry and it will look fine. Long story short...he screwed up and still denies it! I am just sick!! Am I stuck with it? I know he has to come back before a year is up.

Comments (27)

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The grout is a non issue. An afternoon with a grout colorant like Aqua Mix will make the grout any color you want.

The more important issue is why the electrical outlet is located practically IN your shower? And what else is questionable about the work done? What waterproofing system did they use?

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    5 years ago

I hope you didn't pay him a lot of money. That is a terrible job.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    5 years ago

I had trouble picking out the different grout colors, but maybe it's just because of my monitor. I didn't have any trouble, though, seeing that it appears to be unevenly applied. And that electrical outlet! It's so close to the shower that it looks like the plate cover had to be trimmed! WTH?

• Nikki T
    5 years ago
    Shouldn’t that be a GFCI outlet also?
  • worthy
    5 years ago

You're not "picky" enough. The tile should have been finished with a metal or plastic edge. Or, at least, using the rounded tile edge to the outside corner instead of the razor sharp cut edge, then a straight even caulking bead.

Metal tile edge trim

As well, the inside corners should be caulked not grouted, though some tilers will insist on epoxy grout.

The receptacle is a hair-raising doozy--20" minimum separation from a tub or shower is required.

• AJCN
    5 years ago

Do you mean this is a whole new-build house? The question about the waterproofing is very important. Do you have in-progress pictures of the shower as it was being built and waterproofed? That outlet would freak me out being so close to water.

• April Starkey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes I meant to mention the outlet. When I asked him about it he said it was fine!
  • April Starkey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    And yes it’s a brand new build.
  • PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    5 years ago

You say this is a new build? Very concerning. Sorry but you did not have a professional tile installer (or GC either if they hired and approved this work). That job would not meet industry standards (and probably some local codes). Further, dark grout and an inexperienced tile installer do not go together for reasons you can see. I could go on for a mile here but the answer to your question is "no, you are not being too picky". And as always it begs the question mentioned above about the most important aspects of a shower build that you can't see (but we can't see it either).

• April Starkey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Dragonfly, any advise on what actions I can take to get this fixed?
  • AJCN
    5 years ago

I am not a pro, just a homeowner who has done multiple remodels with GCs. If this was my house, and I had to do this only once, I would stop work now and ask the contractor for a meeting on Monday morning to address the deficiencies and ask them what their plan is to remedy the situation and move forward to finish the house. Record the meeting in the open. Ask them what the waterproofing method and materials were. Ask them to show you the electrical code that demonstrates it's okay to have that outlet there. It is the GCs job to come up with the plan to remedy and move forward. Have another family member or friend there. I'm sorry to say this, but if you could have a man there, that will help. It shouldn't be that way, but it is. Some contractors will say things like "you are being too picky," " you are too hard to please," "this is normal," "it's fine, you don't understand construction," "you need to calm down," etc. These are unprofessional comments that are meant to bully you, and they wouldn't say these to a man. Record the meeting and take notes; stay super business-like in the meeting. If they go off on tangents, alway coming back to "how are you, as the GC going to remedy this situation?" Ask them to come back to you with a written plan on how they will fix the problems and move forward with the project.

Then post back here to tell us how the meeting went and what the GC's plan is.

• iamtiramisu
    5 years ago
    Not being too picky. How in the world did that outlet pass inspection? If this is their version of quality work, I’d now be afraid what else is wrong that can’t be seen.
  • millworkman
    5 years ago

Is this a tract/developer home or a home built on your own property (cutom or semi-custom)? Not that it should matter however but unfortunately different sets of of standards. Coming back in a year is for warranty not work that you feel may be substandard.

• April Starkey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    It’s on our own land but it’s not a custom. Although, my friend down the road did build custom and she has the same issues. Everyone is telling me once you close that’s it. So, I believe I’m stuck with replacing it. I did unfortunately look him up after the fact and found out he is building under his fathers license. Hard lesson learned I’m afraid. Oddly enough it did appraise for 8,000 over what we paid.
  • blondelle
    5 years ago
    That's not even a special outlet for use in wet area. Please check this man's license with the DOB in your state. If he has none you don't even have to pay him as he can't lien you or sue. Next time he tells you it's fine tell him you are getting the building department there to check it. Watch him turn green! You need a permit for installing new outlets and you can't pull a permit without a license.
  • April Starkey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I’ve looked and it’s one license with three people listed. It’s his dads license with him and his mom listed under it.
  • April Starkey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Lol
  • kudzu9
    5 years ago

Mark-

An electrifying comment!

• PRO
    Christine Tonus
    5 years ago

You definitely have to insist this be remedied. You will regret it when you go to sell and buyer after buyer walk away. Poor workmanship will cause them to question "if this is what we see, what's behind the walls."

• robin0919
    5 years ago

What state are you in? Why didn't the state/county catch these on inspections????? Do they NOT have inspections where you are? I hope you didn't pay the installer the full amount without approval.

• Nicole R Dsp
    5 years ago
    That’s pretty awful tile work, and the outlet? I would really fight for money back or a redo
  • April Starkey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I live in Mississippi
  • worthy
    5 years ago

Every Mississippi jurisdiction is required to implement as a minimum standard any of the last three International Building Codes and any additional Building Codes adopted by the Mississippi Building Code Council. So without more information on the op's location, it's impossible to decide for certain about the legality of the receptacle. See, for example:

The OP would be advised to contact her local building department.

Workmanship and detailing is not likely covered by any legislation or rules.

• User
    5 years ago

No matter where you live in MS, that outlet isn't allowed. Crappy tile work is, unless you write it into your contract that it should meet industry standards. If that is in the contract, you still don't have legs to stand in, because you already closed and they have your money. You accepted the quality of work by giving them money.

• rockybird
    5 years ago

April, I would see if your city/county has a registrar of contractors and report him. This is unsafe and the tile job is terrible. He should NOT be doing remodeling homes. I would not give up and replace this at your cost quite yet. There has to be some recourse on your part because these are his errors and they need to remedied, hopefully at his cost. If you can get an inspector out there, do not forget to ask about the WATERPROOFING system. If this was not done correctly, it will likely need to be torn out. If this guy did any other work on your house, you may consider hiring another contractor or inspector to review it to ensure that other shoddy or dangerous work was not done.

Editing to add: In my state, the registrar of contractors will send an inspector to review the work. They will give the contractor a chance to remedy it, at their cost.

• User
    5 years ago

No such thing as contractors really being held accountable in MS. Someone would have to die, and that would still be a civil issue that you'd have to sue about.

MS is 50th out of 50 for multiple reasons. There wasn't even a statewide code until 2014. More than half of the state doesn't have any enforcement of that code at all. No permitting or inspections. You barely have septic inspections from the Health Department in most of the state.