Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diana_drexler

grout for backsplash..PLEASE HELP!

Diana Drexler
5 years ago

should I blend or match the counter tops and go brown. please help! I have dark floors, the pendant is being replaced with 3 clear glass ones. thank you for any advice.

Comments (23)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

very nice looking cabs and tile. I'd do a Warm Gray (mapei has that exact color).

I used it with my subway tile in my shower

this one is Oyster Gray

• Rawketgrl
    5 years ago

With the island being so different than the rest of the kitchen I would want simple simple backsplash. 2nd vote for match the grout to the tile, or very light gray grout.

• Jora
    5 years ago

I'm def .not even close to being an expert, but I wouldn't go with the same color grout as tile, and would much prefer to incorporate some of the gray color of your countertop into the backsplash.

• daisychain Zn3b
    5 years ago

It is completely personal choice. On this forum, you will generally find just as many that love/hate either option. As Lori mentions, going really dark means having pretty solid tiling or else mistakes in tiling are highlighted. Going the same colour as your tile means it will look almost like a solid sheet. A light brownish grey that coordinates with your counter is what I'd suggest, but look at what it looks like now. Do you like the shadows between the tile? That is more or less the effect you'll get with a light brownish grey. Do you want more contrast? Less?

• barncatz
    5 years ago

Am I seeing faux vertical white grout lines on your tiles? Looks like there's two vertical lines per tile? If so, I'd match that color.

Am I seeing that or is that a reflection? :)

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

Light grout.

Dark will accent the lines which will be distracting from countertop.

No to brown. May look like dirt in grooves. I saw brown once in an open house walk through & at 1st glance my clients & I, thought they never cleaned the grout. Then at closer observation, saw it was brown. So, imo, I would not do brown.

• herbflavor
    5 years ago

mapei white or frost . the grout line is too tiny to mess with anything else...you are better just keeping it a cohesive look. Frost is my pick.

• Diana Drexler
    Original Author
    5 years ago

thank you everyone! I've already purchased STERLING by TEC when I bought the tile. A very good friend if mine suggested matching the counter instead to tie everything in and her suggested has been making me second guess everything.

• John Drexler
    5 years ago

@barncatz, no those are not faux grout lines. They are residual "wax" strips to protect the tiles during shipping. They haven't all be removed yet.

• mark_rachel
    5 years ago

I would match the tile & MAYBE go a shade darker. Like a creamy beige.

• acm
    5 years ago

I'm very much in the camp of matching grout to tile. I just don't think that the pattern of rectangular tiles is interesting enough to be worth making a design element in its own right, which is the effect of contrasting grout.

It's maybe less of an issue in your case, where the counter is solid, but your cabinets are already quite busy, and I'm not sure you need all those grout lines for impact.

• barncatz
    5 years ago

Diana/John, lol, thank you for clarifying.

I see Sterling described as a light beige gray. I would not go browner/darker as in trying to match the counter. I could only find one photo claiming to be Sterling but it seems like the effect would be similar to how it looks now, which seems fine to me.

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

I would use Frost.

• sprtphntc7a
    5 years ago

i would match grout to tile since your cabs are on the busy side and because u have to different counters... imo that's enough going on. you don't need anymore visual interest.

kitchen is beautiful by the way!!!

• mimimomy
    5 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. I agree with others that suggest matching the grout to the tile. It will be too busy if you use a contrasting grout (in my opinion) and will detract from the overall look.

Lovely kitchen! Congrats :)

• ccwatters
    5 years ago

I don't know if this will help you, but I just put Tec Silverado on my shower (3 X 6 subway) and am attaching a pic for you to see it for comparison to Sterling. The hex tile in the pic is grouted with Dove Gray which is one darker than Silverado, and Silverado is one shade darker than the Sterling you are considering.

Silverado is a cooler gray than Sterling and if you are going for a soft warm gray, your friend made a perfect suggestion with Sterling...it should look really beautiful with your kitchen :)

I do usually prefer a soft contrast in grout on subway in order to accentuate a space, but if you even decide to match the tile in this case....that would look equally pretty because your tile already has some texture/character to it. Either way, whether you match the tile or go darker with Sterling, even the Sterling will soften the definition you see with the no-grout look you have now --- and that looks stunning already :)

Also, I had Dove Gray planned for both my hex AND my subway, but my tile guy put on a little sample of Silverado (he had left over from another job) and even with my Dove Gray already purchased, I changed my mind for just the subway and am so happy I did...so maybe see if he can put a sample up for you first.

Congratulations on a gorgeous kitchen....you truly can't lose whichever way you go with the grout!

Tec Silverado on Subway (Dove Gray on Hex, which is on my floor too)

• Diana Drexler
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @ccwatters, thank you for your kind words and help.
  • Suzy Grimsley
    5 years ago

I would do light grey or I am typically a fan of white grout with subway tile. Clean look.

• sgl23
    5 years ago

Diana - I really like the backsplash tile you chose. Could you share what kind it is? Thanks!

• Diana Drexler
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    sgl23... it is Tonalite in Greige.
  • ccwatters
    5 years ago

My pleasure :)

One last thought. If you find yourself still indecisive, consider that the Sterling will soften the look of the whiteness of your tile...giving a warmer look. And matching the tile will brighten the whiteness...giving a fresher/crisper look.

Maybe thinking of what that end goal is, will help you in making a final decision. It's what helped me.

Have no regrets either way though and enjoy that great space!

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Bravo on your kitchen design thus far!

If you want to highlight the pattern of the tile, then go with a grout to match the counters. If you want your backslash to be another subtle element, then match the grout to the tile.

Personally, I think a grout to match the tile would look nice. Your kitchen feels overall cohesive with each beautiful element choice; cabinets, counter, tile. Based off the design of your kitchen, a darker grout seems a bit heavy handed.

Hope this helps and good luck!