Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fbwerks

kitchen cabinets

How do I get these cabinets in my cabin to look more rustic or cabin like? They look way too modern. I know the pulls will need to be changed, but what application should I use to paint them? or should I

Comments (29)

• Kate E
    5 years ago

I wouldn't paint or stain them at all - I think the wood is beautiful! Agree that different drawer pulls will help you achieve a different style. What's the rest of the space look like? Maybe there are some other tweaks that can be made to the space without painting or staining the cabinets. They are gorgeous!

Frankie Stollenwerk thanked Kate E
  • tuckerdc
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Agree with London. Some not-fancy wrought iron or other brushed finish should do the trick. Simple steps first! (And, in my book, Lee Valley often has some good cabinet hardware choices.)

Frankie Stollenwerk thanked tuckerdc
  • threers
    5 years ago

Please do not paint these cabinets; they are beautiful. Maybe wrought iron pulls or ceramic pulls.

Frankie Stollenwerk thanked threers
  • Rachel Lee
    5 years ago
    Rustic pulls and a faucet to match. No paint!
    Frankie Stollenwerk thanked Rachel Lee
  • Frankie Stollenwerk
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for your input !

• ptreckel
    5 years ago
    Gorgeous floor, too! I love the juxtaposition of the cabinet color and style with the flooring. And, as suggested here, wrought metal pulls would look fabulous. Beautiful!
    Frankie Stollenwerk thanked ptreckel
  • PRO
    Randy Trainor
    5 years ago

We don't recommend painting. Here are some ideas from a design we did that just might help. Notice the cabinets and the pulls we used.

Alpine Ski Home · More Info

Alpine Ski Home · More Info

• PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
    5 years ago

Rustic wrought iron hardware and rustic looking faucet will do the trick. Not sure what kind of backsplash you have there, but stone backsplash would add to the overall rustic, cabin-like look.

Frankie Stollenwerk thanked Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
  • Nicole R Dsp
    5 years ago
    Black hardware all the way. Those cabinets are beautiful.
    Frankie Stollenwerk thanked Nicole R Dsp
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

Leave the cabinets and replace the pulls add some rustic accessories and be done.As mentioned the counter and backsplash will also have an effect on it being more rustic.

Frankie Stollenwerk thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • RedRyder
    5 years ago
    Ditto. Don’t touch the cabinets. Find some fabulous dark, rustic hardware and a bold faucet. Those cabinets are gorgeous and it’s too big a risk to start fooling around with their color.
    Great kitchen!
    Frankie Stollenwerk thanked RedRyder
  • felizlady
    5 years ago
    The natural finish of the cabinetry makes them appropriate for a cabin. They are simple, not fancy. They don’t need to be rough to be “rustic”. You can add the rustic element with the new handles and pulls....natural or faux bone or faux antler pulls, unpolished stainless knobs, unfinished (but well-sanded) wood knobs, natural stone knobs. They don’t all need to match. You need to visit a hardware store which carries a wide assortment of varied handles and knobs, not a big box store.
    Frankie Stollenwerk thanked felizlady
  • RedRyder
    5 years ago

I have used myknobs.com for two kitchens. Here is their link for "rustic" hardware:

https://www.myknobs.com/Cabinet+Hardware/_/N-category+Cabinet_Hardware+theme+Rustic

Have fun!

• Frankie Stollenwerk
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you all so much !!!

• Missi (4b IA)
    5 years ago

Love those cabinets!

Frankie Stollenwerk thanked Missi (4b IA)
  • Frankie Stollenwerk
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    • Thanks everyone for your excellent comments. I want to add a picture of the sink area, we are thinking of changing the butcher block counter which the cabin came with an changing it to granite or something else and a farm sink what do you think

• jhmarie
    5 years ago

If you do not want to mess with the doors in the sink base cabinet for a farm sink, consider a "short apron" apron front sink. Kohler make the Whitehaven (cast iron) and the Vault both in short apron as well as tall apron styles. The short apron can be installed on a standard sink base cabinet. The tall apron requires a farm sink base or shortening the doors and modifying a standard base cabinet. Make sure to measure well since you have full overlay doors to make sure the short apron will still fit. I believe Elkay makes a short apron front sink too.

This is the short apron Whitehaven in my kitchen:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~110720042

Frankie Stollenwerk thanked jhmarie
  • Frankie Stollenwerk
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Great advise thanks

• acm
    5 years ago

I think a gray quartz or a pale soapstone could be lovely here. Not sure farm sink is worth the trouble -- just go with a large undermount stainless sink.

Frankie Stollenwerk thanked acm
  • RedRyder
    5 years ago

I think a strong-looking stone countertop will "weight" the look of the kitchen and make it more rustic looking. I think looking at granites is a good idea. Once you choose one, your hardware choices will be clearer (dark bronze vs. black, for instance). Also your faucet choice will be affected by the countertop choice.

I own a farmhouse too. My designer recommended granite (as opposed to Cambria or quartz) to "anchor" the kitchen as I have a lot of wood trim, plus a tray wood ceiling in part of my open concept house. I didn't get what she meant at the time but once we started shopping, I could see the difference in the heft of granite. It looks great -- and all my other choices were easier after we chose the stone.

I think your kitchen will be gorgeous once you make a couple of slight changes. jhmarie is right about changing to a true farmhouse sink - it requires a terrific carpenter who knows how to adjust your sink cabinet without messing it up. Look up the sink she suggested.

You might also like Blanco silgranite sinks. Worth looking at those too, but the sink comes after the countertop choice if you're changing that.

• acm
    5 years ago

In a lot of cases I might say granite, but with the variegated floor, you're going to need to keep the counter a bit quieter lest you go from rustic to a riot of pattern . . .

Frankie Stollenwerk thanked acm
  • Jacqui Naud
    5 years ago
    A solid gray quartz would look good. We installed “Metropolitan” quartz countertops last year. It looks like finished concrete. We also installed a farm sink with a short apron.
    Frankie Stollenwerk thanked Jacqui Naud
  • PRO
    Filipe Custom Woodwork
    5 years ago

hmmm how about soap stone?

Frankie Stollenwerk thanked Filipe Custom Woodwork
  • Frankie Stollenwerk
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow all so beautiful! Thank you for the geat ideas

• Anne Duke
    5 years ago
    I love the counter, especially for a cabin.
    I’d change the sink to a single bowl when getting the new faucet and pulls. Also, spring for a slide in range so the run of windows becomes a focus.
    Frankie Stollenwerk thanked Anne Duke
  • Phoebe Sackett
    5 years ago
    Follow
    Frankie Stollenwerk thanked Phoebe Sackett
  • missenigma
    5 years ago

Here are some granite alternatives for a soapstone type look:

There's also leathered Via Lactea/Lattea. You can see this in a lovely Craftsman kitchen in this Houzz discussion: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/soapstone-lookalike-reveal-dsvw-vd~4134680

Finally there's a granite called American Soapstone Granite - yes it's granite not soapstone. The first picture show the slab unsealed. The second photo shows it with some water sprayed on to see how it will darken with sealer.

Frankie Stollenwerk thanked missenigma
  • RedRyder
    5 years ago

missenigma gave you some great ideas for a soapstone look, which would probably be gorgeous in your kitchen. Do you like these?

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner