Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poorgirl

What shape / Size of dining room table

poorgirl
5 years ago
Im hoping you all can help me figure out what size /colour and shape of table would be best in this new space. Ive looked at the parson table and would prefer something abit different in leg shape. I also would like the table to be between 36-40” wide
We would like a table that can be extendable. Our floors will be a light greige and the kitchen will be all white (I haven’t had a white kitchen). Also the walls will be Winds Breathe paint colour
We will have a custom build wall unit on the bathroom wall which will have a fireplace along with a tv with doors that will hide the tv.
I really don’t want a grey table even though it would like nice, I would like something that isn’t big and heavy looking and contemporary looking.
My sofa and chair will be recovered and we will also have a rug .
I have to decide on something so we can wire the ceiling lights. I think no bigger then 4-6 person, there is normally 2 of us but we host a few events a year that would bring 10 to the table.

Comments (13)

• kulrn
    5 years ago

2 finishes.

Seno Walnut Dining Table, Extendable - Dining Tables - Article | Modern, Mid-Cen · More Info

poorgirl thanked kulrn
  • 2pups4me
    5 years ago

Maybe something with 1-2 leaves. The way it’s mapped out is tight near the breakfast bar.

poorgirl thanked 2pups4me
  • kulrn
    5 years ago
    • W 55" - 79" x D 35.5" x H 30"

Eikki Frosted Glass Extension Dining Table, White | Zuri Furniture · More Info

Modern Expandable Dining Table | west elm · More Info

• kulrn
    5 years ago

Pricy, but, The Universe-160 Dining Table features sturdy and spacious wooden frame, plus two matching extension leaves that expand this practical table from 63” to 122”

Domitalia Universe-160 Extension Dining Table | YLiving.com · More Info

poorgirl thanked kulrn
  • vinmarks
    5 years ago

I think you have to take into account the clearances needed. You need a minimum of 36 inches between the edge of your table and other furniture/walls. Is that a sliding glass door in the dining room and will people be using that to access a deck or patio? If so you may need more clearance there. I'm not sure how much expansion you can have with a table in this space with there being a wall at one end and chairs at the peninsula.

poorgirl thanked vinmarks
  • 2pups4me
    5 years ago

I just measured my dining table (with one of the leaves in it.) It is 88” and my room is 13’. However, I have a box bay window at one end that allows an additional foot or so for traffic. I can only seat 6 unless I use both leaves, then we can seat 8. 10 would be really tight. Your space measures 13’8” from wall to peninsula, plus you’ll need to factor in space for barstools. I would find out the scale of the drawn-in furniture on your floor plan and use that as a guide (except I still think the dining chair at the end is too close to the barstool.)

poorgirl thanked 2pups4me
  • poorgirl
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks so much everyone, ok now Im going to remove what I can from this room (its currently being used as a bedroom while we work on other parts of the house.

I agree now that I see what you guys are telling me. My husband will bring home large cardboard from work so we can lay it out, Ive asked him for rectangular and round. If we do round I would like a tulip shaped base with a wooden top, or taperer legs on the rectangular. if anyone could send me some pictures of this it would be appreciated. Auntthelma, if I could find a 40" round that expanded I would like to see that, we have always had a 42 x 42 that expanded to seat 8. Kulrn, thank you for the pics, I like the tapered legs but its to long and the matching one is to small. I don't want glass, I really would prefer solid wood.

• poorgirl
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi everyone, thank you for your input.
    We have lates the table out with the clearances required and we have determined that we can have a 60”x40” or 42” or smaller. We would have the following clearances.
    48” from the edge of the table to the patio doors.
    42” from the peninsula countertop , 36” from the back wall to the edge of the table top.

These dimensions leave us with some play if needed but right now this is what we came up with.
    We decided we don’t want a round friable because we still want the table to extend.
    So now I need to find the table.
    I’m afraid to purchase on line due to the retune or the quality when you can’t see it.
    Also being in Canada all I really see is Wayfair .
    Please let me know if these are good .
    My drawing is not to scale , we have changed the 2x4 construction to 2x6 by adding a strip and new insulation so we have lost a few inches on each wall. This we did after the drawings.
    But my new measurements are.
  • poorgirl
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Kulrn, I like the universe 160 table but I couldn’t find the size you listed.
    Also would 36” be wide enough.
    If you could suggest some sights for me to look at for tables , greatly appreciated .
  • poorgirl
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Kulrn, thank you very much , I’ll check both of them out.